PDA

View Full Version : Boot hangs at 25%

a12ctic
05-08-08, 07:31 PM
So my buddys motherboard just crapped, naturally he ordered a new one and I just installed it for him. It boots up, no beeps, I can change bios settings and all. However when I try to boot an operating system it hangs. His Windows XP install just hangs, it starts loading but then it just keeps going, the blue bars keep going. I then popped in an ubuntu live cd and the cd stops at about the 25% line. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

stevemedes
05-08-08, 07:45 PM
So my buddys motherboard just crapped, naturally he ordered a new one and I just installed it for him. It boots up, no beeps, I can change bios settings and all. However when I try to boot an operating system it hangs. His Windows XP install just hangs, it starts loading but then it just keeps going, the blue bars keep going. I then popped in an ubuntu live cd and the cd stops at about the 25% line. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

i'd bet its a CD-ROM or hard drive problem. can you post the full specs? try switching cables, switch SATA channels or IDE channels. check jumpers on hard drives. also try messing around with sata/ide controller settings in bios.

stevemedes
05-08-08, 07:46 PM
oh and if that doesnt work try an intel cpu.

:D

grey_1
05-08-08, 07:48 PM
i'd bet its a CD-ROM or hard drive problem. can you post the full specs? try switching cables, switch SATA channels or IDE channels. check jumpers on hard drives. also try messing around with sata/ide controller settings in bios.
Yup. I had this exact problem and it turned out to be my DVD burner. Works fine with everything I hook it up to but this P5K mobo. Boot hangs at the logo with it.

stevemedes
05-08-08, 07:51 PM
Yup. I had this exact problem and it turned out to be my DVD burner. Works fine with everything I hook it up to but this P5K mobo. Boot hangs at the logo with it.

when i first got my sata dvd burner i had a bitchin time gettin it to load vista setup. it turned out that it got wonky with the sata controller in raid mode because of my raid hard drive setup.

grey_1
05-08-08, 07:53 PM
when i first got my sata dvd burner i had a bitchin time gettin it to load vista setup. it turned out that it got wonky with the sata controller in raid mode because of my raid hard drive setup.
Funny, my new SATA burner took care of everything for me, but I'm not running raid either.

a12ctic
05-08-08, 07:57 PM
Just tried that, nothing, were in the process of swiching the ram around right now. its about a year and a half old now.

amd64 3200
1gb ram
200gb wd harddrive
dvd burner
and the new mobo is a tyan

im thinking its a ram problem right now though honestly.

a12ctic
05-08-08, 08:01 PM
running memtest

stevemedes
05-08-08, 08:42 PM
try updating the bios on the board as well

a12ctic
05-08-08, 09:16 PM
try updating the bios on the board as well
Didn't even think about that. I dont have a floppy though, and I can't update it through windows hmm, can you do it through a cd?

-=DVS=-
05-08-08, 10:19 PM
On some recent motherboards you can update bios from within bios. Or from usb stick.

a12ctic
05-08-08, 10:35 PM
yeah i dont think his can though and explaining how to flash it to him is pretty much impossible oh well hell have to wait till i can do it.