PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX price/performance? I'll buy a PS2!

Pages : [1] 2

EDLIM
05-05-03, 02:48 PM
FX Pricing/Performance - I'll buy a PS2:D

I went to Best Buy these weekend to check on the GeforceFX pricing.

The 5200 - $99.99
The 5600 - $235 this is a non ultra with 256 Mb

I was leaning towards the FX5600 and I was close to buying it. Something came across my mind about the reviews and I figure that I anm better off with a PS2 or XBOX console For $199.00 with a gree game. :)

saturnotaku
05-05-03, 03:07 PM
I gotta tell 'ya, I'm having some major fun with my Xbox. Halo, Burnout 2, Shenmue II, DOAX - all are great reasons to own one. Although I will be shifting back to me PC when GTA: Vice City arrives in about 10 days. :D

Solomon
05-05-03, 03:09 PM
I would wait on the purchasing the PS2 or XBox.. They are going to be falling down to $149.99 once E3 starts. Some stores have received the $50.00 info already.

Plus I want an XBox to MOD the hell out of. Would be cool to play the MAME games on that puppy! Especially on your TV. :D

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

EDLIM
05-05-03, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I gotta tell 'ya, I'm having some major fun with my Xbox. Halo, Burnout 2, Shenmue II, DOAX - all are great reasons to own one. Although I will be shifting back to me PC when GTA: Vice City arrives in about 10 days. :D

I believe that they do have GTA Vice City for PS2, but not to sure about XBOX.

EDLIM
05-05-03, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Solomon
I would wait on the purchasing the PS2 or XBox.. They are going to be falling down to $149.99 once E3 starts. Some stores have received the $50.00 info already.

Plus I want an XBox to MOD the hell out of. Would be cool to play the MAME games on that puppy! Especially on your TV. :D

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

I'll wait , but definitely I am just going for the PS2 or XBOX. I am burnt out on all these FX/ATI stuff. Plus I don't have to worry about drivers no more.:D

Solomon
05-05-03, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I'll be picking up an XBox once the price drops. I want to play MAME and such on the XBox. :)

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

saturnotaku
05-05-03, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by EDLIM
I believe that they do have GTA Vice City for PS2, but not to sure about XBOX.

Vice City isn't slated for the Xbox, but since it's coming out for the PC that doesn't really matter. :)

Between my Xbox and PC, I have more than enough gaming options to keep me happy. The Xbox is one of the best purchases I've made. I wouldn't trade it for any other console.

EDLIM
05-05-03, 03:34 PM
saturnotaku

With your FX 5800 , it would be good playing that on your rig. GTA Vice City is one of those DX9.0 games out there.

mreman4k
05-05-03, 03:40 PM
saturnotaku

With your FX 5800 , it would be good playing that on your rig. GTA Vice City is one of those DX9.0 games out there.

GTA Vice City, uses DX 9 extensions? If it does I cannot wait to get it.

EDIT: I just looked at the specs and it is DX...I am definately getting it.

saturnotaku
05-05-03, 03:57 PM
saturnotaku

Hopefully it'll run better than the original GTA3 did on my Ti4600. I have yet to try GTA3 on my 5800, though. Of course, that was a botched console port if there ever was one. I think Rockstar put a lot more emphasis on getting the PC version of Vice City right.

sxotty
05-05-03, 09:24 PM
How bad did GTA3 run on your 4600? I had it on 4200 and it seemed fine to me, 1024x768

saturnotaku
05-05-03, 11:54 PM
It would run fine at that resolution as long as I didn't use any sort of FSAA or aniso. I could get the game to run with Quincux AA fine, but any sort of aniso would completely tank performance. On my 9500, I could use both AA and AF while still maintaining good performance. I'm hoping to get the same from my FX.

The Baron
05-05-03, 11:58 PM
Doc, you don't even HAVE to mod an Xbox anymore to install Linux and all that jazz. Just get 007 Agent Under Fire, a USB hard drive thingy, and find a tutorial for the buffer overflow hack. ;)

bkswaney
05-06-03, 12:19 AM
Xbox is KING! :dance:

I have a Gamecube, Xbox and a 5800ultra. ;)
Just sold my 9700 pro.

Gator
05-06-03, 04:09 PM
honestly, the only games I care about on the computer are those that require online play or are simply much better with a mouse and keyboard, namely UT1 and UT2K3. Anything else I always buy for my Gamecube, because I love not having any aggrivations or worry about framerates or compatibility, etc. I want it to work right out the box ;)

so if your happy with your current video card... ya... get the Xbox, Cube, Ps2, whatever
:D

marcocom
05-06-03, 05:45 PM
XBOX is built on nv20 (geforce3 chip with modifications for low rez, FSAA , 2 extra pipes or shading units i think too)

299$ huh?

i can buy twice the graphics power with the ti4600 or 9x00 for like 200$ and maybe a whitebox Audigy2 for 75$ for environmental 3d positional audio effects. leaving the 15$ for NIC card.

console gaming is for like...your little sister. PC gaming is about tuning and tweaking the tits off a two thousand dollar screen-searing and surround sound slamming to the hi-rez-low-ping thunder of might that you bring down on a newb in a cyberland server who thought his MAC would play UT2003 just fine since SteveJobs told em so.

If i ever downgraded from "The GOD-ROTOR" (my dual athlon/geforceFX gaming rig) to a console it would have to be because of one damn good reason like portability or something like a brain-damaging dose of a Dewar's Scotch binge that leaves half of my brain in an lifeless puddle of anuirismic broth and synaptic stew, or else quite frankly gentlemen...i might have to kick my own ass.

downgrade to a console wtf.

marcocom
05-06-03, 05:54 PM
god-damnit now im all pissed off... :argh:

saturnotaku
05-06-03, 09:42 PM
All I know is that I'm playing my Xbox a hell of a lot more often than I am my PC. PC gaming is really in a rut right now. Hopefully DooM III and other games will change that.

And where the hell did you get $299 from? Xboxes have been $199 since before Christmas and very soon the price will drop to $149, which I think is an absolute steal.

marcocom
05-07-03, 04:15 PM
damn. for a 150$ i would have to agree to sir.

Gator
05-07-03, 05:40 PM
EB Games has a deal... Factory Reconditioned Xbox for $149 ;)
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/shops/createabundle/xb/default.asp

and if you're willing to go Game Cube it's only $89
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/shops/createabundle/gc/default.asp

and look I wont deny it, UT2k3 on my TI4400 is pretty impressive, but the console systems now do a damn fine job and are nothing to dismiss :rolleyes: And nothing says fun like Godzilla on Game Cube :afro:

Solomon
05-07-03, 06:00 PM
Play a console on a HDTV with the component adapater... Yummy!!

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

saturnotaku
05-07-03, 09:33 PM
DOAX on an HDTV - yummy! :D

garikfox
05-07-03, 09:34 PM
LoL, Guess I should have got a PS2 :)

threedaysdwn
05-07-03, 11:44 PM
Actually the Xbox is built on something closer to an NV25, but supposedly with some of the earliest NV30 tech in it (according to one nvidia dude in an interview).

It's actual specs put it on par with a Geforce 4 (nv25), however.

Playing it on my HDTV is awesome.

Halo is the best game ever.

I sold my PS2 long ago and never looked back =)

Oh yeah, and the whole booting linux through 007 has gotten so much hype lately but it's nothing new. And not worth doing either.

Just get a mod chip like I did. Xsnes9X is wicked cool on the xbox. So is the XBMP that can play divx, xvid, etc.

The Baron
05-07-03, 11:49 PM
You could spend money doing something illegal, or just beat MS at their own "game." ;)