PDA

View Full Version : X-fi + klipsch 2.1 + bass redirection = need help

stevemedes
05-09-08, 02:44 PM
When I go into the THX console it only shows the two satellite speakers, no subwoofer, instead of the satellites AND the subwoofer. Because of this, it only enables bass boost, no bass redirection. However, when I set the speakers to 5.1, the sub shows and i can enable bass redirection. Anyone know how I can get the THX panel to see the subwoofer in 2.1 mode so I can enable bass redirection?

I heard that the Klipsch 2.1's have a built in bass cutoff but I have a hard time believing that. Sometimes the bass on certain songs is definitely coming out of the satellites and muddying everything up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LTech221
05-09-08, 02:51 PM
You shouldn't need them as the PM2.1's do indeed has its own built in crossover.

CaptNKILL
05-09-08, 02:52 PM
Bass redirection only works if your sub woofer connects to the center\sub port on the sound card. Most 2.1 setups just use a single stereo jack (right and left) and the crossovers in the amp on the speakers send the bass to the sub and the highs to the speakers.

The computer has no control over the sub in this case.

With a 5.1 setup, you have one jack for front left\right, one for rear left\right and one for center\sub. Because the sub has its own channel, the computer can adjust the sub's volume and separate the bass from the highs.

Also, just about every PC speaker system should have crossovers or high\low pass filters of some sort to stop the sub from sounding like crap and the satellites from blowing up. Generally, if you change the bass redirection crossover frequency on the PC, you're going to lose a range of sound because PC speakers weren't designed for this. It may sound clearer or less muddy, but you're still losing something.

The Logitech Z-5500s crossover at 120hz. Anything over that goes to the satellites, anything under that goes to the sub. If you set the bass redirection crossover to 80hz on your PC, it isn't going to make the 80-120 range any stronger on the satellites, its just going to make it weaker on the sub. Also, its worth noting that the crossover isn't a brick wall. It just makes things quieter beyond that frequency.

stevemedes
05-09-08, 03:09 PM
hmm, thanks for the info guys, very informative.

90% of songs sound fine, but some songs just muddle the **** out of everything. maybe its the low bitrate mp3s im not sure. ill try adjusting the frequencys via equalizer.

CaptNKILL
05-09-08, 04:36 PM
hmm, thanks for the info guys, very informative.

90% of songs sound fine, but some songs just muddle the **** out of everything. maybe its the low bitrate mp3s im not sure. ill try adjusting the frequencys via equalizer.
Yeah some songs are just not mixed that well and it shows up more on some speaker systems. I'm not sure what your Klipsche speakers crossover at, but 120hz on my Z-5500s leads to some "boomy" bass in a lot of songs. It should be closer to 80hz, but the satellites probably can't take notes that low so they didn't have much choice.

LTech221
05-10-08, 01:11 AM
It is set higher 110-140 hz range, not sure exactly, but then again you can't really expect much from the small sattelites. Do those same songs sound bad through headphones too?

stevemedes
05-10-08, 09:26 AM
It is set higher 110-140 hz range, not sure exactly, but then again you can't really expect much from the small sattelites. Do those same songs sound bad through headphones too?

nah they sound fine in headphones. it's definetely the satellites.

SLippe
07-22-08, 06:03 PM
I picked these up from Best Buy last night. Holy ****! Awesome speakers! My wife hates them already. :D