PDA

View Full Version : Codemasters Agrees To F1 License Deal

nekrosoft13
05-09-08, 03:20 PM
Codemasters® secures official FORMULA ONE video game licence - product line to be jewel in racing game crown

Codemasters Studios to drive new generation of FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP games across multiple formats.

Codemasters®, developer and publisher of award-winning racing video games, has secured the exclusive video game rights to FORMULA 1 it was announced today. In a worldwide licensing agreement with Formula One Administration Limited, Codemasters will develop a new generation of the multi-million selling FORMULA 1 game franchise across multiple platforms.

Codemasters Studios, creators of genre-leading racing titles DiRT™ and GRID™, will lead the design and development of official FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP games for home console, handheld and PC gaming formats.

“FORMULA 1 is ambitious in expanding its reach with more circuits planned beyond recent additions in the Middle East and China,” said Rod Cousens, chief executive officer, Codemasters. “It is also ambitious in expanding its reach via technology. The digital communities that computer and video gaming creates will play a key role in further growing the FORMULA 1 audience and connecting them globally. "As a world-leading creator of driving games, this alliance with FORMULA 1 is the jewel in Codemasters’ racing crown and creates an undisputed segment champion. FORMULA 1 has gone with the best, the segment leader. It has gone to the home of the EGO Engine for quality; it has gone to the company that can host FORMULA 1 Online, to the company that is streaking away from the pack.”

“Codemasters’ success and recent innovations in the racing game space makes the company more than appropriately tuned for the challenge,” said Chris Deering, chairman, Codemasters. “The combination of FORMULA 1’s new momentum of expansion and Codemasters’ contemporary technology and past experience is the breaking of a new dawn for the sport, on the track and on the HD game screen.”

The worldwide deal provides Codemasters with rights to feature all Grand Prix circuits, FORMULA 1 teams, cars, and driver likenesses.

The FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP games will be developed using the evolution of the award-winning EGO™ Game Technology Engine, Codemasters’ highly versatile cross-platform middleware technology. Its advanced graphics and physics technology brings an unmatched cinematic quality and realism to interactive entertainment.

The EGO Engine is currently being deployed in the creation of GRID™, the latest in Codemasters Studio’s international circuit-based racing series, set to be a landmark release when it launches on June 3.

Codemasters expects the first game based on the FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP to launch in 2009.

http://www.codemasters.com/press/?showarticle=11662

JigenD
05-09-08, 03:28 PM
That's a shame. These games aren't even arcadey, they're more like those ****ty LCD/LED handleheld games in the early 80's and late 70's. Maybe the mechanical handheld games from even earlier. The physics are HORRIBLE!

agentkay
05-09-08, 09:35 PM
Better than Sony having the licence ANY time. :D

Crow_Nest
05-09-08, 11:25 PM
Codemasters are the dudes who made DiRT and other colin mcrae games. I hope they'll make F1 the same way they did for the rest. :)

Lfctony
05-10-08, 01:21 AM
This could have a lot of potential. :) It's been years since a good F1 game...

LordJuanlo
05-10-08, 03:33 AM
Screw Sony exclusive rights, better Formula 1 for everybody

sammy sung
05-10-08, 11:32 AM
God I hope not!

Well at least F1 will be back on the PC but I was hoping for another Dev.

Same here,i'd love it if bizarre creations did ANY type of racing game for the PC,i love the engine they use for PGR4.The lighting ,weather effects,enviroments etc just makes it feel more real from a visual sense than anything ive tried.A F1 game from them would be great imo but that wont happen i guess.

|MaguS|
05-10-08, 11:39 AM
Lets hope it makes them the 75 Million they wanted for the license...

Koko56
05-10-08, 03:02 PM
75 MILLION? Damn, that's almost over nine thousand...

Codemasters, F1? Hmmm, maybe not for the sim crowd. Might convey the feeling though.

Koko56
05-10-08, 04:46 PM
I just hope they'll get the tracks done right with GPS data and all that. I'm gonna play it because of that.

And some of the PC sims could benefit from that too! :p

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-10-08, 05:04 PM
well great news the last good F1 game on PC i Played was GP 4 F1 2002 from EA sucked
rFactor with 2007MMG is superior sure it is a bit fo stuff to do but then it is race time

but sure this will be interesting CM1 and 2 weren´t bad at all 3 4 5 where bad car hovered over the road and went wide in turns no grip what so ever

Noriega
07-08-08, 02:24 PM
We will see but I really don't think that Codemasters can make sim that can compete with rFactor F1 mods

Mike89
07-20-08, 04:33 PM
I'm not impressed with Codemasters at all. They tried to make one for Indy cars and it was terrible. Papyrus Racing Games was the only one IMO who really knew how to make a realistic racing game. Codemaster's is more likely going to make a game for kids to play on joysticks to make some fast cash, rather than for the gamer who wants a realistic racing sim game.

Koko56
07-27-08, 06:20 AM
I'm not impressed with Codemasters at all. They tried to make one for Indy cars and it was terrible. Papyrus Racing Games was the only one IMO who really knew how to make a realistic racing game. Codemaster's is more likely going to make a game for kids to play on joysticks to make some fast cash, rather than for the gamer who wants a realistic racing sim game.

Jesus fu**ing christ!

Let's just see what comes out before judging it.

...and also - have you actually played any of the "new" sims?

We will see but I really don't think that Codemasters can make sim that can compete with rFactor F1 mods

Hmmmm...

All the cars don't feel connected to the wheel in rFactor, for me anyway.

hell_of_doom227
07-27-08, 08:50 AM
Grand Prix 4 is the best F1 game so far, and i'm still playing it with 2007 Mod.

Koko56
07-27-08, 10:01 AM
Grand Prix 4 is the best F1 game so far, and i'm still playing it with 2007 Mod.

I have not played it too much, but it did seem alright. However - GTR 2, ftw. (just not in its F1 mod state! :p)

Xion X2
07-27-08, 10:53 AM
Awesome news!

Mike89
07-27-08, 11:13 AM
Jesus fu**ing christ!

Let's just see what comes out before judging it.

Little hot under the collar there buddy, you got some relatives at Codemasters or something?

I was judging nothing, I simply commented from past Codemaster game experience. IMO, Codemasters is the last one that should be making a game like this. Codemasters is as bad as Midway. Both should get out of the game business and leave game making to people who know what they are doing and support their customers.

MustangSVT
07-27-08, 01:23 PM
Codemasters have been using the same physics engine since like Colin McRae Rally 3 (a game that came out in 2002). It was unrealistic back then and it's unrealistic now. They need to learn how to code physics for driving games, their physics models is so disconnected from reality that it doesn't feel right as an arcade game nor as a simulation game.

Koko56
07-28-08, 03:01 AM
Little hot under the collar there buddy, you got some relatives at Codemasters or something?

I was judging nothing, I simply commented from past Codemaster game experience. IMO, Codemasters is the last one that should be making a game like this. Codemasters is as bad as Midway. Both should get out of the game business and leave game making to people who know what they are doing and support their customers.

I just try to to judge too early, yes Codemasters aren't really known for good "sims" but hey, don knock it. Also - if a game does not suit your preference... that's actually your problem not the games'.

Everybody whines...

Codemasters have been using the same physics engine since like Colin McRae Rally 3 (a game that came out in 2002). It was unrealistic back then and it's unrealistic now. They need to learn how to code physics for driving games, their physics models is so disconnected from reality that it doesn't feel right as an arcade game nor as a simulation game.

Well, it is a"mix" as they say.

But their games aren't *really* about realism or simulation. They seem to be geared towards fun. :afro2: