PDA

View Full Version : Running hot......

vihar22
05-10-08, 03:25 AM
Hello all

I am new to this so please bear with me.

I got a new MSI Nvidia nx7600gs TD512z AGP (with Heatsink) graphics cards yesterday.
I installed it and since it seems to be running hot, at the moment it is at 80 degrees and rising.
When I played MOHA I checked the temp and it was at 100 degrees, so I switched off.
Anyway advice what could be wrong or how to cool the beast.

Many thanks

T

grey_1
05-10-08, 04:13 AM
I googled some images of the card and some show active cooling heatsink, others passive. If yours has a fan, make sure it's working.

Either way, how is the airflow in your case? As it's AGP I'm guessing an older oem machine..Dell, gateway? Try running with the case open, if it runs good and cool that way it's an airflow problem, if it still overheats the heatsink probably isn't seated properly.

vihar22
05-10-08, 05:12 AM
Cheers Grey I will try that

vihar22
05-10-08, 08:27 AM
Opened the casing and running a portable fan close by and the temp is now dropping dramatically. Does anyone think it is pos to fit a fan to the card or the heatsink ?

many thanks for your help. Cant you tell I'm a noob....lol

T

grey_1
05-10-08, 11:21 AM
Yes, you can purchase an aftermarket heatsink with fan, like this Zalman (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118117).

Airflow in your case may be another issue. What kind of case and how many fans do you have?