PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba DVD-ROM or LiteOn DVD-ROM?

Kain
05-05-03, 04:29 PM
I know LiteOn makes great CD-ReWriters, but how are their DVD-ROMs? I hear Toshiba makes excellent DVD-ROMs, so should I get Toshiba?

vampireuk
05-05-03, 04:40 PM
Pioneer for DVD ROM drives

jAkUp
05-05-03, 05:53 PM
i own a liteon cd burner, and a liteon dvd reader... i think they are great, i have had 0 problems, and i have heard nothing but good from them.

Riptide
05-05-03, 06:22 PM
Hard to go wrong with either Pioneer or Lite-On. I have personal experience with the Pioneer 106s and I'm very impressed. Slot loading is awesome! Once you dump the caddy you'll never go back if you can help it...

And Pioneer has a replacement out for my model, the 120s. I haven't tried it but it should be just like my 106s, only better.

vampireuk
05-05-03, 07:03 PM
So true, after you have used the slot loader once you will hate using anything else:D

LTech221
05-05-03, 09:10 PM
Toshiba makes excellent drives, the only bad thing about them are if you try to rip dvd's it automatically speeds down to 1-2x speed. But they are prettymuch unparraled in backing up (read to image) copy protected discs. But also the Pioneer & Lite-On units are great drives.

Gator
05-05-03, 10:45 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7677&highlight=dvd

I asked about which drive to get here, and although I never mentioned Liteon as a choice there was an overwhelming number of people that voted for Liteon as "other." So I decided to get it and it was a GOOD decision. This drive is fast, and it's EXTREMELY quiet ;)

Kain
05-06-03, 03:20 PM
Thanks.

But why aren't any DVD-ROMs listed on the LiteOn website?

Kain
05-06-03, 03:24 PM
By the way, does anyone know any website where I can find reviews of DVD-ROMs?

Gator
05-06-03, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Kain
Thanks.

But why aren't any DVD-ROMs listed on the LiteOn website?

I often wonder that myself, but the thing works so well I don't care. Newegg has a VERY wide selection of Liteon drives though, so check there

PsychoSy
05-07-03, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Pioneer for DVD ROM drives

Amen! I don't have a DVD ROM yet.

When I do, it'll either be a bonafide Pioneer or a rebadged one from TDK.

Found out recently that my TDK VeloCD is a rebadged Pioneer. :)
I thought it was a rebadged Plextor! :p

eL_PuSHeR
05-07-03, 04:18 PM
I bought a Pioneer 120 DVD-Drive no more than a month ago and I quite satisfied with it so far.

Riptide
05-07-03, 06:48 PM
Cool. Pioneer really does seem to be getting an excellent reputation as far as optical drives go. Their A05 DVD writer is one of the most common ones out there and can be had pretty cheap right now. I think it only does -R/-RW though, which kinda sucks.

Kinda OT, but my Clarion car audio player is over 5 years old and still plays discs without skipping. Pretty sweet when you consider how old the device is and that I paid only about $220 new for it.
It's withstood several Montana winters and summers.
I've got my money's worth out of it, that's for sure. :)

SteveL
05-07-03, 07:00 PM
You could never go wrong with a LiteOn optical drive.
I've had mine for nearly 2 years and it still reads disks other, newer drives cannot.

See sig ;)

EDIT : Hehe, no I haven't !! it's just over 1 year old (forgot I replaced my old Pioneer drive, oops :D )