PDA

View Full Version : Finding out blue screens?

ChiBChombo
05-11-08, 01:28 PM
Lately I been getting blue screens (to be exact since I installed AVG 8.0), also been having problems where my network connection gets "Limited connection" for a while after booting up.

I can't read blue screens because they go away too fast, but is there a way to know why exactly it is happening? my DRAM voltage was at 2.00, I raised to 2.04, then 2.1, and still did it.

Any idea what to do?

grey_1
05-11-08, 01:38 PM
If you have "automatically reboot" enabled, disable it in system properties>Advanced system settings>startup and recovery. Then write down the stop error you get on the BSOD and google that. Some will give you generic 'yep, you crashed' info, others will point you straight to a driver/other software etc.

XDanger
05-11-08, 01:55 PM
Or if you have a camera...

nah grey_1's way is better

Technoholic
05-11-08, 02:57 PM
Yeah, get the stop code, and search for what the code means in google.

Im sure some people here remembers I have BSOD. It was the RAM, but completely different code, and it was something to do with system's kernel, I'm not sure. Sometimes the stop code will tell you it's actually RAM related.

Eliminator
05-11-08, 03:04 PM
probably due to overclocking... run prime95 for at least 1 hour to make sure your CPU/RAM is stable

seeker
05-11-08, 04:17 PM
You might also try installing Windbg to analyze the errors as logged in Windows/Minidump or Windows/Memory.dmp, depending on how you have the OS configured.

ChiBChombo
05-11-08, 04:26 PM
If it helps for anythng, I haven't tried anything yet, but my computer once it loads everything and internet works, it wont blue screen for the rest of the day again. I can leave it on 5 days straight and it wont blue screen, it only seems to blue screen on start up, and ONCE during booting up.

seeker
05-11-08, 04:40 PM
I would tend to suspect a bad driver, that is why I suggested Windbg. Since the problem began after installing the firewall, I would disable it on the startup tab of msconfig to see if the problem disappeared.

SLippe
05-13-08, 09:07 AM
I installed SP3 yesterday and didn't have any anti-virus installed. So, earlier this morning I installed AVG 8.0 Free Edition and it BSOD on me. I've since uninstalled it and not had any problems. Might give it another go later.

PlayerZen14
05-13-08, 09:42 PM
I installed SP3 yesterday and didn't have any anti-virus installed. So, earlier this morning I installed AVG 8.0 Free Edition and it BSOD on me. I've since uninstalled it and not had any problems. Might give it another go later.

just 2 days ago i installed xp sp3 through windows update. Ever since, i'd be getting BSODs after leaving my computer on for more than an hour, even when running non-intensive tasks like word and internet. I occassionally get BSODs from running Battlefield 2 :p, but thats because my notebook's thermal solution SUCKS.

ChiBChombo
05-14-08, 07:46 PM
So I went to start up and blocked AVG from opening on Windows Start up, haven't gotten any blue screens since 3 days ago.

So maybe it is AVG 8.0 after all causing a problem with certain programs or something.

We'll see.

Technoholic
05-14-08, 09:02 PM
I heard AVG 8 is not free anymore. :cry:

I still use AVG 7.5