PDA

View Full Version : Thermaltake Black Armor Full Tower Case

seeker
05-11-08, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking about building a secondary system using this case because of the number of drive bays that it has. I really don't need that many right now, but they would be there when I do. I'm wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience with it? Anything that I should be aware of, either pro or con?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389579&CatId=1510

Tuork
05-11-08, 05:31 PM
I've seen it at one of the few stores in town that carry high-end stuff, and, personally, I really like it. It's one of my favourite cases.

I think the only thing I'd find annoying in the long run is opening the little doors every time I want to use an optical drive... but honestly, how ofter do you use CD's?

seeker
05-11-08, 05:44 PM
I don't think that the doors would bother me, because my Antec case has a door also, however I have been looking at the pictures, and can't quite tell, but it appears that the inside edge of each door is open on the side. If that is so, I would like it because it would give space for cables, like for a headset, to pass with the doors closed...if I could find a connector short enough.

I've been wondering, if a person actually used all of the drive bays, how air would enter the case? Apparently, it isn't a problem, because it is supposed to be very cool. I want a case large enough that there is no problem with clearances, like with my Antec. The power plug on my video card presses hard against the connerctors on the lower harddrive bay drives, and you have to remove the video card before removing the drive bay.

wysiwyg
05-13-08, 06:05 AM
click the links in my sig to see how i have that case setup

i have all the drive bays occupied. 3 at the back, 3 at the front as well as a dvd rom, floppy drive, fan controller, led rheobus, blank drive holder with the power buttons etc

the 2 drive bays come with 120mm fans on each one, an optional extract fan with easy mount to blow out the top of the case where the external usb and audio ports are located under a flap

it also comes with a rear 120mm fan

i have changed the front drive bay fan and rear case fan with thermaltake iflash led fans

added loads of lighting with llots of led lasers, changed the 120mm fan on my psu to a multicoloured fanmy GPU has a thermalright GT cooler and 92mm blue led fan. el wire on the psu mobo power cable.

most of the fans are connected to the scythe fan controller and noise is very low.

added an antec flexible coolspot fan pointed onto the 8800gt, the gt also has a thermalright mounted on a mobo riser of the case

the case has so much room to work with

i love it

seeker
05-13-08, 06:40 AM
click the links in my sig to see how i have that case setup

i have all the drive bays occupied. 3 at the back, 3 at the front as well as a dvd rom, floppy drive, fan controller, led rheobus, blank drive holder with the power buttons etc

the 2 drive bays come with 120mm fans on each one, an optional extract fan with easy mount to blow out the top of the case where the external usb and audio ports are located under a flap

it also comes with a rear 120mm fan

i have changed the front drive bay fan and rear case fan with thermaltake iflash led fans

added loads of lighting with llots of led lasers, changed the 120mm fan on my psu to a multicoloured fanmy GPU has a thermalright GT cooler and 92mm blue led fan. el wire on the psu mobo power cable.

most of the fans are connected to the scythe fan controller and noise is very low.

added an antec flexible coolspot fan pointed onto the 8800gt, the gt also has a thermalright mounted on a mobo riser of the case

the case has so much room to work with

i love it
I looked at your pictures, and it is quite impressive, but it was difficult to see the details from the glare of the lights. :) Actually, my taste is a bit more subtle, so I would forego the lighting. The one thing that I'm not too fond of is the plastic windows in the side, but I could live with it.

Room and cooling is what the case has going for it. I couldn't tell from your pictures or the ones on the venders website. but since you mentioned drive bays, I'm wondering if they are removable, and if the drive install tool-less? I'm also wondering about the from doors...from what I have seen, there appears to be one on each side, but do not totally cover the drives. Is there space on the inside edge of the doors for cables to pass, like those for a headset?

wysiwyg
05-13-08, 07:47 AM
yes removable bays

you have to screw the drives into the bays. but the bays are tool less

and yes loads of space for cables to pass

and by looking at the pics u can see how much they open and how much they cover

my pics look more glary than it is in person

Tym
05-13-08, 12:19 PM
Just my two cents... I used to have the Armor case and I was generally very happy about it. It has loads and loads of space, which was important to me as I had 5 HDDs and 2 optical drives. Also, it has excellent cooling, with large (and thus silent) fans on the front of the HDD cages (BTW, I'd get the version with the large side fan, but it costs 20 bucks more). Front bay covers have protective meshes on the inside to catch dust (you do have to vacuum them quite often as the dust tends to stay on the outside, but then again it does not get inside, which is really the point). TT even has (or at least had) a watercooling setup which you can install in a front drive bay (2 or 3 units).

My only real complaint are the doors. They tend to squeak when opened, and they sometimes rattle when not closed completely, especialy when an optical drive spins up (the doors have magnets to keep them closed, but they don't always work). Plus, the doors block optical drive trays, which can be a problem. While they take next to no force to open, so the tray will just push them aside as it extends, you have to make sure the doors are open when you close the tray, as they can get caught by the sides of the tray's front bezel when it slides back in (it happened to me when I was rebooting with an open tray and it closed automatically).

wysiwyg
05-13-08, 04:21 PM
no rattling or squeaking doors for me

Tym
05-13-08, 04:26 PM
no rattling or squeaking doors for me

I was an 'early adopter' and there were many complaints about it at the time, so I guess they simply improved this in the later revisions. This is good news for the OP -- there should be no other cons to consider, so... enjoy the Armor ;-)

Bman212121
05-13-08, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking about building a secondary system using this case because of the number of drive bays that it has. I really don't need that many right now, but they would be there when I do. I'm wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience with it? Anything that I should be aware of, either pro or con?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389579&CatId=1510

Overall it's a pretty nice case. I built a new rig for 2 friends with it. One of the really nice features is there is a big hole on the backside next to all of the drive bays where you can hide the extra cables. I was using the OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU's in the case so there were a lot of extra wires I need to stuff somewhere. The only con with it is it is really big and heavy so it's harder to move around. The fan filters in the front coupled with 120mm fans really help with airflow and yet keep the dust out. One of them got the 250mm fan on the side, the second one didn't. The fan doesn't spin fast at all but it does help a little with bringing air into the case. The only thing to watch out for is if you have a very tall heatsink like the Thermalright Ultra 120 it will hit that fan. We were able to cut part of the plastic on the big fan that was hitting the top of the heatpipes and make it just fit. If I were going to do it again I would just go without the extra sidefan if I had a large CPU cooler.

DeusGear
05-13-08, 11:04 PM
Cm stacker isn't a bad choice either.

seeker
05-13-08, 11:54 PM
Bman212121,

One of the really nice features is there is a big hole on the backside next to all of the drive bays where you can hide the extra cables.

That is good. My current system sits on a homemade stand that I made from an aquarium with a 1" x 12" wooden top that I cut an oblong hole into the back to store the cables in. I'm not sure what kind of stand, if any that the new case will have, so that hole would be very useful.

seeker
05-14-08, 12:03 AM
Cm stacker isn't a bad choice either.
I was thinking that all of the Stackers were too expensive, but I just found this model in the same price range:

http://www.digiconcepts.com/coolermaster_cases_39.htm

it doesn't look bad. It is more inline with my "subtle" taste, except that I don't like the silver bezels on it. It doesn't appear to have any front door(s), which I'm not sure if I like or not. There are alot of questions that I would have to ask about it also, but they are along the same lines as those I have posed for the TT Armor.

walterman
05-14-08, 04:58 AM
It's my case, and i love it.

The case is made of steel, and this helps to block the noise & to keep your components cool.

You can put 3x 120mm fans in the front (a bit tricky), and you have 3x 3.5" bays in the front by default. If you need more, you'll need an adapter from Thermaltake to put groups of 3x 3.5" drives. This adapter helps to attach the front fans too.

If you install the rear & top 9cm fans, the cooling performance of the case will be more efficient.

The case is as big as a castle, and it weights a lot too, so, you need to be strong to carry it ;)

seeker
05-14-08, 01:09 PM
walterman,

"9cm fans" I guess that this is a typo, I suppose that someone distracted you while typing.

walterman
05-14-08, 01:49 PM
walterman,

"9cm fans" I guess that this is a typo, I suppose that someone distracted you while typing.

9cm = 90mm

Sorry, but, this is Europe, and i'm not english, we use different languages & metric systems.

wysiwyg
05-15-08, 02:11 AM
its easy

like the 25cm fan on ther armor is a 250mm fan

just take the 3rd digit off