PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for possible new computer

Tuork
05-11-08, 05:43 PM
Hello all...
As you might have seen from one of the other threads, I'm thinking of changing my laptop soon. I've really really happy with my current Dell lappy for every day use and school (systems/computer engineering major), so I thought I'd upgrade to another XPS.

I had my eye on the XPS M1530, which I can get with an 8600m GT 256MB, which I've been told would suffice my basic gaming needs (I mostly play on my 360 now). However, I've mostly considered the M1330 as it would provide greater mobility if I plan on taking it to school every day, as I currently do.

All that stuff aside, I'm also thought of simply getting a new desktop PC. I've been out of the loop for a while, so what would you guys recommend? My budget would be somewhere around $800. From what I recall a little while ago, something reasonable was along the lines of:

- eVGA 8800GT 512MB (or other brand)
- 2GB DDR2 (maybe 4GB?)
- Gigabyte DS3 board
- Q6600

That would go into a regular case I have with a Thermaltake silent PurePower 480w PSU, and my 20" BenQ Monitor at 1650*1050.

I think the 8800GT is still the best budget card out there, even better than the 9600GT, but what about all the other things? To be honest, I have NO idea what's current in processor tech. I also heard nVidia is soon to realease new tech soon...

Thoughts?
Many thanks

Tuork
05-13-08, 01:20 AM
Bump uppity up!