PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Performance: Windows Vista SP1 vs. XP SP3

Pages : [1] 2

UberRN69
05-12-08, 12:35 AM
This should put the 'XP is better than Vista in gaming' thing to rest.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2303830,00.asp

I'm not saying XP sucks, infact I still use it on my wife's laptop. It's just when it comes to gaming, there is nothing to lose or gain by staying with either one.

Lfctony
05-12-08, 01:15 AM
I'm disappointed with the lack of Nvidia tests... :(

mojoman0
05-12-08, 01:51 AM
thats really great to see!

Revs
05-12-08, 02:45 AM
I'm disappointed with the lack of Nvidia tests... :(

Yeah :wtf:

Can't exactly call it a fair test really.

AthlonXP1800
05-12-08, 03:48 AM
Wow great to see Vista SP1 finally on par with XP SP3. :D

K007
05-12-08, 06:57 AM
Wasn't ATI cards already pretty solid in Vista? Also no SLI tests...

The moment i lose sli..i am off to Vista -.-...i have SP1/Disc all ready to go lol..just need next gen gpu!

tornadog
05-12-08, 09:23 AM
so still no real reason to put down the money for the upgrade right??? Oh well, maybe with Windows 7 I will finally "need" to upgrade!!!

nekrosoft13
05-12-08, 09:36 AM
so still no real reason to put down the money for the upgrade right??? Oh well, maybe with Windows 7 I will finally "need" to upgrade!!!

yes, windows 7 will provide 70% increase in everything.

Shocky
05-12-08, 09:47 AM
Pretty rubbish comparision, useless to most members of this forum.

Wasn't ATI cards already pretty solid in Vista?

Yep.

UberRN69
05-12-08, 03:04 PM

Again... I'm neutral either way. I only use Vista because I'm a computer guy and always like trying out new stuff, plus 4GB mem support with Vista64.

The only point that should be made is neither OS pwn's the other when it comes to gaming. It's just what you prefer.

S.SubZero
05-12-08, 03:53 PM
Yeah hang on to Win 3.1 a little longer, I'm sure the next thing will be worth it. Tho I'm told the thing after that will be *really* worth it! So maybe wait more!

----

To stay on topic, for the record on my Sager 5793 laptop (8800M GTX yay) My Vista x64 3DMark06 scores are within 1% of my XP64 scores. Gaming is fast and problem-free.

cvearl
05-21-08, 04:50 PM
I have installed Vista 32 on a new partition and therefore I am dual booting XP+Vista. I am having fun with Vista. I did not think I would like it but it's pretty slick.

My good feelings for Vista must be because I waited till I had a system that could run it well, MS got some patching done and I knew to disable UAC right out of the gate. Runs like a deer for me so far. I prefer the interface to XP's too which I did not think I would. Maybe I just wanted a change? Probable.

I might try some comparative benching myself if I ever get the time. I have an 8800GT on a C2D 6550 with 2GB RAM. Might be interresting.

C.

mailman2
05-21-08, 08:57 PM
I dunno I still get crashes in Vista that dont happen in XP. Maybe SP2 will focus on some stability issues Vista still has.

grey_1
05-22-08, 05:35 AM
I'm at the 3 week mark of a fresh Vista64 Ultimate install, used several hours a day primarily for gaming. Zero crashes or hangs so far and performance +/- 3% with XP Pro X86. Only issue I seem to have is my download speeds seem slower under Vista, even after SP1.

Games played:
Half-Life - entire series
Doom3 - both
F.E.A.R. - all 3
Cold Fear
Timeshift
Crysis -DX9 only
GoW -Smoother performance in Vista than XP both DX9 & 10
Halo
Halo2
Dark Messiah M&M

My question is this...the majority of problems I've seen people having seem to be folks who updated through windows update. I downloaded the full SP1 rather than go through update.

It may be nothing, maybe.

nekrosoft13
05-22-08, 06:32 AM
i had applied SP1 through windows update around January 25th about 1 day after it went RTM. Have not had any problems.

six_storm
05-22-08, 07:53 AM
I've had Vista Ultimate x64 for a few weeks now and it's finally on par with XP performance IMO. But here's the kicker: Take a look at my sig. It really does take a pretty good machine to get XP-like performance out of Vista. But hey, it's just my opinion. ;)

Yaboze
05-22-08, 07:55 AM
Vista x64 Ultimate working well here. I installed from the download that was floating around the net in Feb. I had no problems then. But, I need to get new HD's an installed about a week ago. This time I redownloaded the SP1, file size was slightly different.

No issues to report of, it's working well.

Vista x64 seems to work better if you just leave your machine on, I shut down each night and it comes up with like 27% mem usage (4GB), but after using it for a while, it climbs to the 30's.

Toss3
05-22-08, 08:00 AM
I'm at the 3 week mark of a fresh Vista64 Ultimate install, used several hours a day primarily for gaming. Zero crashes or hangs so far and performance +/- 3% with XP Pro X86. Only issue I seem to have is my download speeds seem slower under Vista, even after SP1.

Games played:
Half-Life - entire series
Doom3 - both
F.E.A.R. - all 3
Cold Fear
Timeshift
Crysis -DX9 only
GoW -Smoother performance in Vista than XP both DX9 & 10
Halo
Halo2
Dark Messiah M&M

My question is this...the majority of problems I've seen people having seem to be folks who updated through windows update. I downloaded the full SP1 rather than go through update.

It may be nothing, maybe.

You can play Halo on Vista? I just get a bunch of flashing textures... :( unless of course I run everything on low settings.

mailman2
05-22-08, 08:35 AM
You can play Halo on Vista? I just get a bunch of flashing textures... :( unless of course I run everything on low settings.

Halo 2 was so ugly that after playing Crysis and Assassin's Creed I bet it does look like a bunch of flashing textures :D

Tr1cK
05-22-08, 08:37 AM
Yeah hang on to Win 3.1 a little longer, I'm sure the next thing will be worth it. Tho I'm told the thing after that will be *really* worth it! So maybe wait more!

----

To stay on topic, for the record on my Sager 5793 laptop (8800M GTX yay) My Vista x64 3DMark06 scores are within 1% of my XP64 scores. Gaming is fast and problem-free.

You are retarded.

grey_1
05-22-08, 08:59 AM
Yeah, it runs fine. I haven't played it unpatched though. Go into Halo dir after install and find the haloupdate.exe or something like that. Then I add my widescreen rez to the shortcut along with -use2.0 for SM 2.

EDIT: see the readme for other info.

Toss3
05-22-08, 09:14 AM
Yeah, it runs fine. I haven't played it unpatched though. Go into Halo dir after install and find the haloupdate.exe or something like that. Then I add my widescreen rez to the shortcut along with -use2.0 for SM 2.

EDIT: see the readme for other info.
I have to run it either at low settings or 30fps in order to get it to run without the textures flashing.. :-/ Gonna try the sm2 thing!

Didn't work.. :(

Apparently the command should be -use20 according to the readme.

grey_1
05-22-08, 10:25 AM
I have to run it either at low settings or 30fps in order to get it to run without the textures flashing.. :-/ Gonna try the sm2 thing!

Didn't work.. :(

Apparently the command should be -use20 according to the readme.
I was pulling from memory - never a reliable thing for me. :p

I wish I had another suggestion to help you with it, I'd be irritated at best if I couldn't play Halo, love that game.

Toss3
05-22-08, 10:39 AM
I was pulling from memory - never a reliable thing for me. :p

I wish I had another suggestion to help you with it, I'd be irritated at best if I couldn't play Halo, love that game.
Well yeah me too, but it is playable, but some textures flash like when you've overclocked your graphics card too much. Crysis runs without issues, so I don't see why halo wouldn't. :-/

Maybe the card is overheating or something(which would be weird since every other game runs fine)?

grey_1
05-22-08, 10:43 AM
Well yeah me too, but it is playable, but some textures flash like when you've overclocked your graphics card too much. Crysis runs without issues, so I don't see why halo wouldn't. :-/

Maybe the card is overheating or something(which would be weird since every other game runs fine)?
Have you tried different drivers? I know, basic....it's just wierd, I wouldn't think it's a hardware problem at all, drivers is really all I can think of.