PDA

View Full Version : LucasArts on Star Wars and PC Development

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

sAnt@
05-12-08, 08:39 AM
VideoGamer.com: Force Unleashed is coming to every platform going, except...

CS: No Commodore 64, no Apple IIE...

VideoGamer.com: No PC...

CS: No PC as well, yes.

VideoGamer.com: We're a multiplatform website and some of our PC-owning readers have complained about this.

CS: And that's something that every time I read that, we do hear that complaint, it hurts. Our goal was we wanted to get this game to as many people as possible. I definitely wish it had been possible. However the PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game. But someone with a low-end PC would have a watered down experience, they would have to turn all the settings down and it wouldn't be the same game. On the other hand if we made that game for as many people as possible, because we are trying to make mass market games, something that everybody can enjoy, well then it's not taking advantage of what those $4,000 systems can do. So one way or the other depending on how you build that lead PC SKU, it's not going to be for the same amount of people, it's going to be not as good or only for a select few people.

That said we're definitely not out of the PC market. It's just with our choice for this game, with the known quantity for the consoles, and every console is the same with the same processing power, it made sense for us to develop for those consoles.

VideoGamer.com: So the decision was purely about the PC being a varied platform?

CS: Exactly. And no matter where you pick that bar somebody's out of luck.

VideoGamer.com: It had nothing to do with piracy?

CS: I don't have my fingers in the pot of what goes into the legal part of pirating. I'm not really familiar with the figures. I understand it's a lot more prevalent in some areas than others.

VideoGamer.com: Do you guys have any message to your PC-owning fans, because you guys have a heritage on PC?

CS: Absolutely. We started on the PC. Unfortunately that goes back to the point of such a variance of the platform. There wasn't such a variance at that time and it made a lot more sense to develop on PC. The message is that we're not shutting the door on PC at all. Just for this project it happens to be that we don't have a PC SKU. I really hope that everyone can experience this game on a platform eventually.

VideoGamer.com: Might there be a PC version in the future?

CS: No. And if there was no-one has told me about it yet! I've got my head in the sand as far as this project goes. We only don't have a PC version for this product.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/star_wars_the_force_unleashed/preview-921.html

evox
05-12-08, 08:40 AM
LucasArts can go **** themselves.

nekrosoft13
05-12-08, 08:42 AM
total bull**** interview, $4,000 dollar system to run the game?

what the **** do you need to play this game? dual quad core, skulltrail board and dual video card setup?

evox
05-12-08, 08:50 AM

what the **** do you need to play this game? dual quad core, skulltrail board and dual video card setup?

No man, they are just too lazy. God knows it's easy to produce crap for a closed platform rather than an open one like PC. :thumbdwn:

nutcrackr
05-12-08, 08:55 AM
Haha 4,000 system, not only are the trolls saying it...but the devs are saying completely bs now. Idiots.

rudedog
05-12-08, 09:02 AM
So it's coming to a Wii, which if I read this right, is as powerful as a $4000.00 PC.

Wow, I never imagined my Wii was so powerful, hell I never imagined my 360 and PS3 was even close to my $4000.00 PC.

Who would have thunk it.

I'd really like to know what type of PCs they use to code this monster.......

nekrosoft13
05-12-08, 09:02 AM
they should call their BS right in the interview.

SH64
05-12-08, 09:04 AM
Total BS! & varied platform MY ASS!! .. everyone with a decent-budget PC (8800gt,2.4Ghz C2D/Q , 2GB RAM) can play the latest titles with most settings maxed. they are just too lazy to code for the PC.

rudedog
05-12-08, 09:05 AM
they should call their BS right in the interview.

See that's the problem, they don't have the balls to do such a thing. Every site and mag is so worried about loosing their contact with said company, they will just kiss ass and ask all the easy questions without any rebuttal.

Granted, I have not had a chance to read the full article but I have a feeling it's just like every other site, print mag out there.

nekrosoft13
05-12-08, 09:06 AM
I'd really like to know what type of PCs they use to code this monster.......

they use thing

System Name BlueGene/L
Site DOE/NNSA/LLNL
System Family IBM BlueGene
System Model eServer Blue Gene Solution
Computer eServer Blue Gene Solution
Vendor IBM
Application area Not Specified
Main Memory 73728 GB
Installation Year 2007

Operating System CNK/SLES 9
Memory 73728 GB
Interconnect Proprietary
Processor PowerPC 440 700 MHz (2.8 GFlops)

Housed in Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s Terascale Simulation Facility, BlueGene/L (BGL) clocked 478.2 trillion floating operations per second (teraFLOPS) on LINPACK, the industry standard of measure for high-performance computing. Built by IBM, BGL is a workhorse supercomputer used to make possible science simulation of unprecedented detail for NNSA’s tri-lab Advanced Simulation and Computing (ASC) Program, which leverages the computing expertise and resources of Sandia, Los Alamos and Lawrence Livermore national laboratories.
Computer simulations are a cornerstone of NNSA’s program to ensure the safety, security and reliability of the nation’s nuclear deterrent without underground testing – stockpile stewardship.

Recently expanded to accommodate growing demand for high-performance systems able to run the most complex nuclear weapons science calculations, BGL now has a peak speed of 596 teraFLOPS. In partnership with IBM, the machine was scaled up from 65,536 to 106,496 nodes in five rows of racks; the 40,960 new nodes have double the memory of those installed in the original machine.

The upgrading of BGL, notably through the addition of nodes with twice the memory, allows scientists from the three nuclear weapons labs to develop and explore a broader set of applications than the single package weapons science oriented work that has been the mainstay of the machine in the past. For example, BGL had been used widely for materials science calculations such as assessing materials at extreme temperatures and pressures. Now it will be much easier to run more complex applications related to modeling integrated systems as opposed to focused exploration of one area of physics or chemistry.

Badboy_12345
05-12-08, 09:07 AM
lol its not okay to experiance the game on a low end pc but its perfectly fine to run it on a Wii :lol: :lol:

What a bunch of BS :headexplode:

rudedog
05-12-08, 09:08 AM
The Wii und PS2 versions aren't identical to the 360 and PS3 versions.

I know, I was being sarcastic because they can make a so called watered down version for the Wii and PS2s they can't figure it out for the PC.

TBH any company that can't do it right should not do it at all and for that I commend Lucas Arts.

stefan9
05-12-08, 09:23 AM
Lazy. Nothing much to add. But I will be boycotting them in future.:thumbdwn:

|MaguS|
05-12-08, 10:19 AM
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=31370&stc=1&d=1210601950

blizzle
05-12-08, 10:39 AM
Lazy. Nothing much to add. But I will be boycotting them in future.:thumbdwn:

Agreed, Bye Bye Lucas Arts. It's been fun, but you're no longer the same dev I grew up playing games from. RIP.

3DBrad
05-12-08, 11:09 AM
I do not see why ya'll are complaining.

I'll be buying for the Xbox360 myself. :D

evox
05-12-08, 11:21 AM
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=31370&stc=1&d=1210601950
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/2229/tshirtmgtfogreen400xs2.jpg

Monolyth
05-12-08, 11:26 AM
/* Physics.Level Defaults
Levels <= 1 Uses non-Euphoria/DMM codepath.
Levels >= 2 Uses Ephoria/DMM codepath.
0 = Low
1 = Medium
2 = High
3 = Ultra */
Engine.Physics.Level(User.Physics.Level);

Epic fail LucasArts...They are already coding it for the PS2 & Wii, so wtf...

|MaguS|
05-12-08, 11:34 AM
This might have to do with Euphoria and the PC Platform. It looks like no title using it is planned to have a PC release...

brady
05-12-08, 11:44 AM
I'm so sick of hearing that in order to game on a PC you need to spend $2000+. This $4000 stuff is absolute rubbish. I built my gaming rig in december and it cost $1100 and I can play every single game at my HDTV's native resolution at the highest possible settings including Crysis! Today It'd cost even less for my configuration. If I hear that in person from anyone I'm seriously going to punch them in the balls.

fizzelopeguss
05-12-08, 11:44 AM
Lucasarts used to make good games, memorable games. Now they make horrifying tat.

you'd know all about bitter tears (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113027)

|MaguS|
05-12-08, 11:56 AM
I'm so sick of hearing that in order to game on a PC you need to spend $2000+. This $4000 stuff is absolute rubbish. I built my gaming rig in december and it cost $1100 and I can play every single game at my HDTV's native resolution at the highest possible settings including Crysis! Today It'd cost even less for my configuration. If I hear that in person from anyone I'm seriously going to punch them in the balls.
Your not the average consumer. Im sick of hearing you all using yourself as examples. Remeber the average consumer goes to Best Buy or DELL to buy a PC. Why do you think nvidia recently announced that they are going to "dumb down" their product boxes to help aid in customer decisions.

Majority of PC gamers are not like us enthusiasts. They don't go to hardware sites and research the hardware or build their own PCs. Why do you think Blizzard designed WoW with the capabilities of running on such a vast diversity of hardware... because the average gamer doesn't have your uber rigs or even know anything about them.

Steam Surveys, 1.7 Million Submitted data only 160K have a high end GPU.
http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

3DBrad
05-12-08, 12:11 PM
Build a PC that'll score over 13k in 3dmark06 and max out pretty much max out all games for $824.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/techrelated/824_PC.jpg

evox
05-12-08, 12:26 PM
^ Even lower if you can get those $180 Q6600s.

ViN86
05-12-08, 12:30 PM

QFT

so, a $4000 PC is needed to do what a $400 system can do? :confused: