PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64bit noob question

Buckeye
05-12-08, 10:20 AM
Ok this is perhaps a really stupid question, I feel so ashamed :)

First time installer of Vista Ultimate 64bit. I was planning on using this for my new rig. I have allways used 32bit.

So it installs just fine, no problems at all with that.

But the question I have is I cannot seem to be able to open the Control Pannel or a few other things.

Is this a admin rights thing with 64bit ? How do I bypass that ?

I have tried this, and other things.

- Click Start
- Control Panel
- User Accounts and Family Safety (if in category view)
- User Accounts
- Change Secuirty Settings
- Uncheck the check box, click OK

What happens is I will get a flash, like the window is trying to open but goes away very fast when trying to open the Control Pannel. I end up not being able to get to Control Pannel and User Accounts.

This machine is not up and running atm, waiting on Raid Cables so I cannot test right now.

grey_1
05-12-08, 10:25 AM
I think the SP1 incorporates a hotfix addressing that issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=874a414b-32b2-41cc-bd8b-d71eda5ec07c&DisplayLang=en

I downloaded the entire SP rather than using windows update, and have had zero issues with 64bit Ultimate.

Buckeye
05-12-08, 10:28 AM
ahh great to know, thanks !

I thought I was being totally stupid Ha !

I will download the version with SP1 included. Should have done that in the first place but I was being lazy.

Main problem was I could not get my access to internet from this machine through wireless as I could not get the drivers installed for my D-Link WUA-2340 USB adapter, seems to be issues with those drivers and vista 64bit also. So in the end I could not get to windows update.

XDanger
05-22-08, 02:42 PM
The control panel not opening is stupid, not your question.

grey_1
05-22-08, 03:01 PM
The control panel not opening is stupid, not your question.
+1