PDA

View Full Version : Warning: XP SP3 will not load on Asus M2N based boards

_Inferno_
05-12-08, 02:34 PM
Specifically the Asus M2N-MX SE. After loading SP3 from windows update, the OS fails to boot freezing on MUP.SYS even in Safe Mode. Only fix was to do a repair with SP2 CD.

It has an Nforce 430/Geforce 6100 chipset.

Beware
Dave

seeker
05-12-08, 02:53 PM
Hmm, I didn't even know that there was a SP3. But then I generally use x64 instead of my MCE OS. I had a problem once being able to boot after running a regular update, so although I hope that it is not the norm, it doesn't surprise me too much.

AthlonXP1800
05-12-08, 03:18 PM
_Inferno_ is not the only person with this issue, XP SP3 cripples AMD systems only.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9084418

No wonder Microsoft dont have more time test XP SP3 and Vista SP1 properly, it had same issue with Vista SP1 with endless reboots.

seeker
05-12-08, 03:23 PM
Since my system is AMD that is good to know...I'll stay far, far away from it.

bacon12
05-12-08, 08:52 PM
Yep I couldn't even get it installed on my amd/nforce 5 system.

SLippe
05-13-08, 01:58 AM
No problems here with SP3. I installed it early yesterday morning from Windows Update. Lucky, I guess.

seeker
05-13-08, 05:04 AM
How shall anyone know when and if SP3 is fixed? I doubt that MS will announce it on Windows Update.

SLippe
05-13-08, 06:32 AM
First problem arose, but not sure if it's SP3 related or not. I just installed AVG 8.0 Free Edition and it caused BSOD/Reboots. Uninstalled it and have no problems, again. It made my system sluggish, too. Never had a problem with AVG before. *shrugs*

seeker
05-13-08, 06:45 AM
First problem arose, but not sure if it's SP3 related or not. I just installed AVG 8.0 Free Edition and it caused BSOD/Reboots. Uninstalled it and have no problems, again. It made my system sluggish, too. Never had a problem with AVG before. *shrugs*
Someone else posted a similar problem recently with an AVG installation, so I would tend to doubt that it was SP3:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113056

firehawk
05-13-08, 07:34 AM

after installing service pack 3 avg 8 failed to load for me until i reinstalled it.

windows error popped up yadda yadda yadda

SLippe
05-13-08, 08:00 PM
after installing service pack 3 avg 8 failed to load for me until i reinstalled it.

windows error popped up yadda yadda yadda
Is AVG 8.0 working for you now? I may give it another try. Hate not having any AV on here.

Mr Bigman
05-14-08, 01:32 PM
I never use AV software on a gaming rig, it slows down no matter who you use or what you have for hardware.

I think this is a plot with MS and Intel to smoke out all the AMD guys.

Just a thought.

seeker
05-14-08, 01:41 PM
Mr Bigman,

Just a thought.

That thought crossed my mind also. But then MS wouldn't use dirty marketing tactics like that...would they?:)

EDIT: But then why would Asus also be caught in this trap?

Vasot02
05-14-08, 03:55 PM
Since my system is AMD that is good to know...I'll stay far, far away from it.

I have a AMD system based on a Abit mobo and SP3 installed and works fine
The problem is with certain AMD\NVIDIA motherboards from ASUS like the A8N32-SLI and M2N boards

NOT ALL AMD HARDWARE HAVE ISSUES WITH SP3

hokeyplyr48
05-14-08, 03:56 PM
crap i installed sp3, didn't see this thread and now i get a bluescreen on boot.

it says something about my BIOS not being ACPI compliant...yadda yadda press F7 during boot to disable. any ideas?

do i need to format and start over?

edit: LOL in order to get it to work i had to plug in a USB flashdrive over 2gb. i put in my 16gb flash drive and it booted up/finished installing without a hitch. way to go microsoft haha. but i have to have it plugged in on every startup. anyone know of a more permanent fix?

Bearclaw
05-14-08, 04:14 PM
Having no problems with my AMD/NForce 4 system.

weeds
05-14-08, 05:18 PM
No problems installing or running SP3 on these AMD machines:

ASUS A8N32-SLi DLX nForce 4, AMD FX-60.
ASUS A8N-LA nForce 430/Geforce 6150, AMD Sempron 3200+.
EVGA nForce 590 SLi, AMD A64 X2 4600+.

hokeyplyr48
05-14-08, 09:47 PM
hmm i can't reboot mine without a flashdrive plugged in. obnoxious but doesn't make it inoperable.

seeker
05-14-08, 10:42 PM
I'm waiting until someone has already tried it on an Asus A8V. I never was too much of the adventurous type.

weeds
05-15-08, 12:01 AM
hmm i can't reboot mine without a flashdrive plugged in. obnoxious but doesn't make it inoperable.

After reading your post and reading about the USB storage device fix, Id say thats probably why my install and reboot went fine. I use a Hardcano13 fan controller which has a built in card reader, Bios and Windows shows it as 4 removable storage devices (disks). I could unplug it from the USB header and find out but I really would rather not as everything is working.

EDIT: Just for ****s & giggles I went a head and unpluged the card reader and have had no problems.

JaxMacFL
05-15-08, 06:35 AM
When I ran my weekly windows update on my wife's computer a week or so ago, SP3 showed up as a critical update. Downloaded and installed just fine. That's on a a8n32-sli deluxe and FX-60.

bknblk
05-16-08, 11:11 AM
I never use AV software on a gaming rig, it slows down no matter who you use or what you have for hardware.

Just a thought.

Sorry to derail for a moment, but do you have any pictures of your rig up on the site? The specs are awesome. If you do not have one up, would it possible to see a few?