PDA

View Full Version : Good Pricing

Mr Bigman
05-12-08, 03:14 PM
This is awesome seeing GTX cards for 269 online.

Did we finally get out of that phase of 500 dollar plus cards?

I only paid 400 + for the 9800 GX2's and some change.

pricing has went back to what it should be like back in the Geforce 2 days.

Only bad thing with PC hardware is motheboards went up in price instead of staying around 200 like they did back in the day.

You can build a decent gaming rig for a grand these days and will do games like Crysis just fine.

I think people were getting ripped off these last 3 years with over pricing hardwware, but we finally get decent prices.

lduguay
05-12-08, 03:27 PM
Some motherboards like the ASUS Striker II Extreme is now close to 500$. Decent PSU's are not cheap either.
On the other hand, I'd say memory, CPU and GPU prices are much better now.

Mr Bigman
05-12-08, 11:54 PM
So why the turn around?

Before it was CPu's and Ram costing through the roof and now its the other way around.

Boards were usually 100 bucks 10 years ago and the cheapest CPu was maybe 350 and some change and ram was through the roof as well.

Why are boards costing as much as 400 bucks now when CPU's are half that for a nice one?

jcrox
05-13-08, 12:14 AM
Motherboard prices IMO really do deserve a good old fashioned :wtf:

Especially seeing how buggy so many of them are.

Mr Bigman
05-13-08, 12:41 AM
True that.

Mboards today require more attention as of 10 years ago.

I remember buying a 3dfx board for 149, board was about 70 that supported super Socket 7 and was good out of the box unlike today that require a bios update to fix that same chip you bought that won't post the board.

I do really like how GPU's have gone back to being civilized in price just around 300 for a top card.

SLippe
05-13-08, 02:03 AM
I was thinking about upgrading my mobo/cpu/ram and was lookin' at prices tonight. Not as cheap as I thought it might be. Not to mention, I wouldn't even know which ones to buy! :wtf:

CaptNKILL
05-13-08, 05:50 AM
Motherboards aren't that expensive really unless you want the top of the line model for some reason. I doubt there is much difference between a $100 board and a $300 board in most cases. You just get more crap with it and maybe DDR3 support (which is useless).

My Gigabyte P35 board is awesome and it was under $100. :)

rudedog
05-13-08, 06:23 AM
could it be that graphics card manufacturers are now seeing that PC games are in decline thus they might not be able to sell that next big Video card?

TBH my 8800 GTX Ultra SC can run anything I throw at it currently so why bother upgrading? Maybe Crysis but TBH the game play did not live up to the hype.

The graphic card companies are seeing the writing on the wall, lets hope this drives the price down, which in turn will get game devs to get back in the game, so to speak.

Madpistol
05-13-08, 08:37 AM
could it be that graphics card manufacturers are now seeing that PC games are in decline thus they might not be able to sell that next big Video card?

TBH my 8800 GTX Ultra SC can run anything I throw at it currently so why bother upgrading? Maybe Crysis but TBH the game play did not live up to the hype.

The graphic card companies are seeing the writing on the wall, lets hope this drives the price down, which in turn will get game devs to get back in the game, so to speak.

Look at it this way... the 8800 GTX/Ultra is supposedly the "flagship" cards of last generation. So why are they STILL just as powerful, if not more powerful than the current flagship cards on the market? In terms of raw power, the 9800 GX2 > 8800 GTX, but the 8800 GTX still beats it in some situations. The market is in disarray because Nvidia made such a fantastic card last generation, that it's having trouble beating itself.

grey_1
05-13-08, 09:41 AM
Look at it this way... the 8800 GTX/Ultra is supposedly the "flagship" cards of last generation. So why are they STILL just as powerful, if not more powerful than the current flagship cards on the market? In terms of raw power, the 9800 GX2 > 8800 GTX, but the 8800 GTX still beats it in some situations. The market is in disarray because Nvidia made such a fantastic card last generation, that it's having trouble beating itself.
But they aren't mainstream, as in..not every gamer bought one because of the pricing.

IMO Nvidia made a fantastic business decision with the 9800GTX. It may not bury or even beat the Ultra in some benches, but it's still a powerful card for very little money. If Nvidia continues this trend of power for cheap, AMD will have a heck of a time capturing any part of the enthusiast market.

XDanger
05-14-08, 02:04 PM
The money goes on the r'n'd ,
die shrinks are cheaper than new cores,
Its a shrunk g80 so its cheap.
Theres nothing here to praise NVidia about unless you are a shareholder.

Of course its cheap ,Its the same card with less memory 2 years later.

Its all good though as long as they spend some of the money on making NEW cores.

Will I buy a 9900GTS?

Probably