PDA

View Full Version : WWII FPS's

Mr Bigman
05-12-08, 08:40 PM
Ive studied closely at FPS's that reflect ww2.

I played some MOHAA and jumped right to COD and up to COD2 and even MOHAirborn.

What a big difference not in graphics but gameplay.

It seems things run so quiet in MOHAA not much going on so to speak as you get into COD things move a bit faster and with Airborn, things are even more complex in the scenes.

I still go thorugh all the missions in all the games and doing spearhead at the moment and its to plane compared to say a COD expansion pack or even COD2.

Is this the feeling for those who play these WW2 games.

Noriega
05-12-08, 08:49 PM
Best WWII FPS? Hidden and Dangerous series and I think there was nothing better.

mojoman0
05-12-08, 08:54 PM
yes COD games are much more in your face and enthralling. I'm not sure why everyone gets tired of WWII games, I still love 'em

|MaguS|
05-12-08, 09:24 PM
What...

evox
05-12-08, 09:34 PM
I hear rat poison is good for your health......It really builds up the pecks.

mojoman0
05-12-08, 10:10 PM
COD 5 is WWII as I posted a bit ago in the COD5 thread...

rudedog
05-13-08, 07:34 AM
While the rumor of CoD5 is that it is set in WWII, this has not been confirmed by Activision. I'm told that Activision will release some details very soon.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's set in WWII but who knows. Grant Collier the CEO of IW told us over dinner late last year that IW wanted to do a modern combat version of Call of Duty after the the first Call of Duty 1 was released and while grey matter worked on CoD:UO. However Activision wanted them to stick with WWII because this is where the general public wanted to play. Grant also told us he was not happy with CoD3. Soon after CoD2 and while CoD3 was being developed by the now Treyarch, Grant got his wish and started on CoD4.

PS the WWII rumor was because Treyarch, the developers of COD5 was hiring artists who enjoy WWII.

PSS just in case anyone did not know, GreyMatter is now Treyarch.

sMull
05-13-08, 09:47 AM
Best WWII FPS? Hidden and Dangerous series and I think there was nothing better.
Absolutely! Both seires however are different, one can say CoD is arcade and H&D2 is a simulation, something like Trackmania and GTR. I had fun with both but CoD doesn't come close to H&D2's depth and polish.

fugu_fish
05-13-08, 10:10 AM
Best WW2 FPS right now IMO is Red Orchestra. Nice blend of realistic infantry and arguably realistic(the grognards will disagree)armored combat. Sweet game, and well worth the $19 I paid for it. Seeing the artillery rain down in Königsplatz and watching ragdolls cartwheel through the air.....sweet FPS heaven...

I'm still waiting for a Korean War FPS... some epic battles there with a nice blend of leftover WW2 and modern (for the early 50's) equipment...I guess it truly is the forgotten war...

SeriTonin
05-13-08, 03:31 PM
Nothing had such a great effect on me, like the original COD. It was very realistic to what you could expect in warfare, as far as how close a game could get to emulating it. Everything else from that point was the same gameplay with bigger tits.

Monolyth
05-13-08, 04:21 PM
Gimme a real first rate Vietnam game. Everything to date has been, meh. Something nitty, gritty, and in your face. We Were Soldiers, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now all mixed together.

Battlefield Vietnam was okay (as far as weapons, vehicles go), but gimme a game with a veins-in-ma-teeth storyline something that will raise the hair on the back of my neck and give light to the mental and physical cost to our troops who fought in that war (and all wars for that matter). We've seen countless movies that approach this subject, but I think it would be revolutionary for a game to attempt this.

I just think it would be nice to have an FPS where I actually care about the people around me you know? Rather then them just being another FNG. *shrug* probably won't happen, it's all about features these days for a lot of people, content seems to have taken a backseat. :(

NarcissistZero
05-13-08, 04:55 PM
I still love WW2 games... I guess if you bought every single one you would feel drowned in them, but Medal of Honor sucked for a while so I only got the Call of Duty games, then Medal of Honor Airborne.

I hope in another year or so we get another WW2 game that really blows the doors off...

Mr Bigman
05-13-08, 09:05 PM
I think we will start seeing more stuff deplicting the vietnam conflict cux Men Of Valor kinda blows if you know im saying shaw.

johnkeel105
05-13-08, 09:40 PM
WWII FPS games are probably what I thrive on. I think I have nearly everyone of them for PC. Like you said most continue to get more action in them. The problem is they start to feel too arcade. I think my favorite is still Hidden and Dangerous Sabre Squadron. I really believe if it had further patches, better marketing, more graphics options, and a little more polish in the multiplayer, it would probably be held up to the same regard as Medal of Honor Allied Assault was when it first came out.

The only problem I have with the latest WWII games is they have less focus on story, characters and realism. Most just want to show how awesome they are at blowing stuff up on screen, which is cool, but gets old quickly. Brothers in Arms tried something toward the storyline but I could never get used to that game and the squad control just didnt work for me. Meh... just some thoughts!