PDA

View Full Version : AH oh no! Help me fix my card!

mojoman0
05-13-08, 03:38 PM
So when I booted up my computer today, I got one long beep followed by 2 short beeps and no display. I looked up the code online and it said it was a video error. I swapped out my friend's pcie card and my computer booted fine so it looks like it really is my card that wouldnt allow the boot. So is there anything I can do to my card to get it working again? air can or let the temperature cool? It's about 80 degrees today or so. This card has treated me so well for so long, and I'm nearing the end of the school year so I'm very low on cash. Any tips?

g-a-m-e
05-13-08, 03:51 PM
dude, the card is 50 years old.

Buy a new one already .

XDanger
05-13-08, 03:56 PM
Was it dust that killed it or just old age?

mojoman0
05-13-08, 04:03 PM
hey the cards still a beast. Plays crysis great on low and satisfies all my other gaming needs like BF2. I was planning on buying a new card at the end of the summer with my hard earned lumber mill money. I just talked to a guy on the phone and he said I can RMA it and I bought it in 2005! My problem now is that I need the receipt/invoice, but I purchased it from monarchcomputer.com which went under last year and I can't seem to find a confirmation email or anything. I'm really not sure what happened to the card as I had no warnings or weird behavior issues, just wouldnt boot this morning.

seeker
05-13-08, 04:10 PM
If that card had a lifetime warranty available, if like an EVGA that I have, it required you to register it with EVGA to obtain that. Otherwise, it was probably something like three years or less. If you registered it, then you may not need an invoice...I'm not sure, you would need to check with EVGA. Before asking asking for an RMA, check on their website to see if their is anything mentioned about it.

mojoman0
05-13-08, 04:13 PM
Yea it looks like I registered it in 2006 so that should help, but I think it still wants an invoice...wonder if I could talk to anyone about that. Any chance I could get my records from someone at monarch? there is a monarchcomputer.com.au any affiliation??

seeker
05-13-08, 04:30 PM
I just checked with the EVGA website, and you are correct, you will need a receipt:

http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/

J-Mag
05-13-08, 05:29 PM
Any chance I could get my records from someone at monarch? there is a monarchcomputer.com.au any affiliation??

What a bummer. You are hosed, because Monarch went under and that Oz link is definitely not affiliated.

SLippe
05-13-08, 06:31 PM
Did you remove the card from your motherboard then remove the face plate and check for dust build up? 6800GTs were pretty bad about dust building up around the fan under the face plate. Simply blowing it with canned air without removing the plate doesn't get it all. Check your PM Inbox.

seeker
05-13-08, 06:35 PM
What a bummer. You are hosed, because Monarch went under and that Oz link is definitely not affiliated.
That is only partially true, he got hosed because he misplaced his receipt. If he still had it, it wouldn't matter that the vender went out of business or not.

mojoman0
05-13-08, 07:39 PM
I called my parents back home and tonight they're going to look around the file cabinets to see if they saved any of my receipts from when I bought my parts. I couldn't find anything in my email and my mom threw away the boxes a couple months after I bought the stuff...so hopefully the receipts weren't inside. I think my only hope is my parents as of now, or I can try to persuade the evga people to let it slip because I registered the card with them awhile ago.

ViN86
05-13-08, 07:43 PM
hey the cards still a beast. Plays crysis great on low and satisfies all my other gaming needs like BF2. I was planning on buying a new card at the end of the summer with my hard earned lumber mill money. I just talked to a guy on the phone and he said I can RMA it and I bought it in 2005! My problem now is that I need the receipt/invoice, but I purchased it from monarchcomputer.com which went under last year and I can't seem to find a confirmation email or anything. I'm really not sure what happened to the card as I had no warnings or weird behavior issues, just wouldnt boot this morning.
lifetime warranty ftw.

mojoman0
05-14-08, 12:00 AM
well parents couldn't find a receipt. It looks like I'll have to pull some smooth phone negotiating.

Technoholic
05-14-08, 01:35 AM
hey the cards still a beast. Plays crysis great on low and satisfies all my other gaming needs like BF2.
Dude! You're missing out SOOO MUCH!!!

mojoman0
05-14-08, 02:27 PM
LOL yea only playing the demo. Saving the real game till I can play it in all its glory. Anyways, I called evga again and they said I could use a bank statement. So...I had to order one for 6 bucks which should take a few days to arrive, and hopefully theyll like it!

J-Mag
05-14-08, 04:34 PM
LOL yea only playing the demo. Saving the real game till I can play it in all its glory. Anyways, I called evga again and they said I could use a bank statement. So...I had to order one for 6 bucks which should take a few days to arrive, and hopefully theyll like it!

That's interesting news and basically negates the whole need for receipts... It's not like bank statements have itemized listings. Some of my accounts don't even name the store. It sounds like all you need is a transaction that had value over the cost of the card. Did they mention any specifics that needed to be there?

seeker
05-14-08, 05:33 PM
My statements have photocopies of the checks included. They are pretty hard to see, but the bank will also send a copy of the check...for a fee. I have never done that, so I don't know if it would be better or not?

Technoholic
05-14-08, 09:04 PM
You're lucky you can keep copies of check, but my Bank of America wouldn't. It's strange though...First day, they show it on my statement online, and after that, it's gone.

mojoman0
05-14-08, 09:49 PM
well I didn't use a check, but ordered online with my card. Hopefully they'll accept it...and it did list it as a purchase from monarchcomputer.com

seeker
05-14-08, 11:53 PM
You're lucky you can keep copies of check, but my Bank of America wouldn't. It's strange though...First day, they show it on my statement online, and after that, it's gone.
I do not do business with the Bank Of America, because a few years ago, they refused to cash a fairly sizeable check for me that was drawn on their bank. At first they said that they would have the funds the next day, but when I returned that would only give cash for a portion of it and the rest in a cashier's check. I was under the impression that all banks were required to honor a check drawn on them. It wasn't for a million dollars or anything like that, only 25 thousand.

seeker
05-15-08, 12:05 AM
well I didn't use a check, but ordered online with my card. Hopefully they'll accept it...and it did list it as a purchase from monarchcomputer.com
That's interesting, because my bank doesn't list the vender or the item, when I purchase online, only a PayPal code number. This makes it necessary for me to continously check my account, so that I can monitor the amounts, so that no one might make an "error" and make an unauthiorized debit, or wrong total. I've only made one purchase online directly with my credit card, and it was the same. Until recently, I always sent a check in the mail and I would now, but that entails extra delays by the shipper. How does one identify the vender or item with a PayPal code?

mojoman0
05-20-08, 08:05 PM
Soo...rma went quick..but they sent me back a 6800 GS CO SP P/N 256-P2-N391 AX. I was kind of expecting something different. I'm not really sure how this card compares to my 6800GT but i thought the GS was lower. I haven't been apple to find any benchmarks of the exact card. If it ends up being a little less than the GT should I call them up and ask for a different card?

Dazz
05-21-08, 06:27 AM
LOL yea only playing the demo. Saving the real game till I can play it in all its glory. Anyways, I called evga again and they said I could use a bank statement. So...I had to order one for 6 bucks which should take a few days to arrive, and hopefully theyll like it! WFT you guys only pay $6 for a bank statement we have to pay 10($20) for one.