PDA

View Full Version : Audio Players

seeker
05-13-08, 08:59 PM
My preferred audio player is Media Source, which comes with Creative sound cards, but something is wrong on this particular installation that I haven't been able to fix. The sound has become very tinny and sour. Reinstalling it didn't help, so there is something deeper wrong. Therefore, I have been looking for something else, but when I have tried I don't like. They sound okay, but I have alot of audio files, both music and OTR, that I like to be able to choose a series, instead of selecting just one file at a time.

I have Nero Media Player and it sounds fine, but I have not been able to figure out how to get it to play from a list of files. If I select multiple files, they will appear in the players window, but I still have to select them one at a time. If I leave it alone after a file finishes, there is a silence that last for about half an hour, then it repeats the same file again and again, but always with about 30 minutes between. I tried Audigy, but when selecting multiple files, it slowly loads them one at a time, and opens a different instance of the player for each.

With Media Source, You have a multiple windowed organizer that lets you select as many or as few as you want, and with the right click context menu select to play them and they all appear in the Now Playing window immediately. Then it plays them in sequence without having to touch it further.

Is there a player out there somewhere like that?

EDIT: I posted this on the wrong board, can it be moved to General Software?

Xyphus
05-16-08, 02:44 PM
Have you tried Foobar (http://www.foobar2000.org/)?

http://sksarasin.homeip.net/images/foobarpic.jpg

stevemedes
05-16-08, 02:44 PM
ive been using foobar, good stuff.

breathemetal
05-16-08, 03:03 PM
since i have a zune, i just use the zune program. i really like it

bacon12
05-16-08, 03:29 PM
Wow Foobar looks like Amarok my favorite media player. There isn't a windows version I know of though.

I will have to check out foobar, still using winamp here.

edit.. just found a windows install for amarok.. will test it out

Baa.. nvm I tried compiling it and it crashed and burned, not to mention all the libs and deps it requires at the moment..

seeker
06-05-08, 09:30 PM
I've had so many things distracting me, I had forgotten about this thread until now. I dislike it when others ask a question then disappear, so I apologize for my lapse.

I downloaded Foobar, and have been playing with it. It seems to do what I wanted well enough, but it is going to take some getting used to, but then I often have that problem with new software. When I get comfortable with it, I probably will be happy...thanks.

a12ctic
06-06-08, 07:15 AM
The windows amarok port is pretty experimental still. Probably wont be done for a couple months, if ever. I don't think there is a media player in Windows that really just gets it right like amarok, banshee (beta 1), and rhythmbox do. Foobar is customizable, but for the most part i like its an annoyance to use and setup.

Xyphus
06-17-08, 11:53 AM
Wow Foobar looks like Amarok my favorite media player. There isn't a windows version I know of though.

I will have to check out foobar, still using winamp here.

edit.. just found a windows install for amarok.. will test it out

Baa.. nvm I tried compiling it and it crashed and burned, not to mention all the libs and deps it requires at the moment..

Foobar has a built-in interface editor. You can make it look pretty much however you want. My player of choice is Amarok (I'm a big Linux fan...), so I edited the interface in Foobar to be more comfortable for me. You can also use user made interfaces that add a LOT of other features... (lyrics, tagging, visualizations, album art, ect..) Just do a search for "foobar plugins" and you should find a bunch.

Here's a link to get you started... http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/

Medion
06-17-08, 11:59 AM
but something is wrong on this particular installation that I haven't been able to fix. The sound has become very tinny and sour.

Check the options and make sure that mediasource isn't applying some environmental effect.