PDA

View Full Version : Valve to make Gaming Controller?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jAkUp
05-13-08, 11:26 PM
Check it out...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/873/873607p1.html

Though there are certainly gamepads out there for PC players to use (the Xbox 360 controller, for example), Lombardi states that Valve is very much interested in producing its own. "It's actually something that, I mean there's nothing to announce yet, but it's something we're definitely looking at. You hit the nail right on the head; there's a lot of games coming out right now on Steam that might be better [with a controller]. Everyday Shooter is a perfect example, right? It's something that we're looking at. It's something that these games are showing us there's a need there. They're proving to us that, oh wow, this is pretty cool. If there was a controller set for these things, they'd be even better. It's something we're looking at and something we're going to start talking to those people who specialize in those areas about."

CaptNKILL
05-13-08, 11:37 PM
Hmm...

Not sure if I like this or not. I'm all for Valve getting into different markets, but I'd rather not see their future games catered to gamepad controls rather than keyboard\mouse controls...

SeriTonin
05-14-08, 12:01 AM
A valve controller makes about as much sense as two monkey's ****ing a football.

jAkUp
05-14-08, 12:03 AM
Hmm...

Not sure if I like this or not. I'm all for Valve getting into different markets, but I'd rather not see their future games catered to gamepad controls rather than keyboard\mouse controls...

I think the point is there are plenty of games that are just not suited for PC keyboard/mouse. Like sports games, racing games, platform, etc.

I highly doubt that we will be playing Half-Life 3 with a gamepad, but the goal is to create some sort of standard controller. PS3 has a standard controller, XB360 has a standard controller, no standard on PC makes it difficult for developers that make games suited to controller based games.

Sazar
05-14-08, 12:26 AM
two monkey's ****ing a football.

For some reason, that's strangely arousing.

The icing on the cake would be the monkey's guessing the air/speed velocity of a fully laden swallow while they are at it.

nekrosoft13
05-14-08, 12:38 AM
no standard on PC makes it difficult for developers that make games suited to controller based games.

MS is trying to force xbox 360 controller on pc, i fell for it, bought the controller to use it for some games (no shooters) i can't stand that cheap POS any more. Horrible driver, no controller settings, thumb sticks are loose which results in some racing games hard to control if they don't have dead zone settings.

Ayepecks
05-14-08, 01:01 AM
I'm amazed at how everyone here always hates everything a developer/publisher does if it's even remotely different.

What's it going to hurt? I highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt Valve is going to make Half-Life 3 or Counter-Strike 2 controller-only, guys.

RAY16
05-14-08, 01:04 AM
/me hugs his Controller-S and XBCD drivers.

Too bad newer games are slowly dropping support for DirectInput controllers in favor of XInput.

Badboy_12345
05-14-08, 01:52 AM
MS is trying to force xbox 360 controller on pc, i fell for it, bought the controller to use it for some games (no shooters) i can't stand that cheap POS any more. Horrible driver, no controller settings, thumb sticks are loose which results in some racing games hard to control if they don't have dead zone settings.

there are other programs that you can use so you can configure the hell out of the x360 controller :)

But yeah MS own software sucks ass
The only problem I have is with the directional pad which sucks so much that you cant use it

LycosV
05-14-08, 01:53 AM
I love my 360 controller on the PC. I use X-Padder to get it to work with games that don't support it, and I have this really old DXTweak tool that lets me change dead zones, sensitivity, and limits.

nutcrackr
05-14-08, 02:03 AM
Nothing wrong with options, I doubt they would change their focus from mouse on most of their games though.

CaptNKILL
05-14-08, 03:25 AM
Oh wow, I feel stupid.

I thought Everyday Shooter was an FPS. :retard:

Nevermind what I said.

It'd be good to see a well supported PC controller for the games that need one.

bob saget
05-14-08, 03:53 AM
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Elvin Presler
05-14-08, 04:23 AM
http://www.logitech.com/repository/60/jpg/1910.1.0.jpg

Rumblepad 2. The only PC gamepad I ever owned (and I've owned many) with nice, precise analog sticks and a D-Pad that works flawlessly, even diagonally.
All Valve would do is rebadge something made by someone else anyway.

MrTexTure
05-14-08, 07:21 AM
A good gamepad is golden worth in racing, its a must and MS 360 pad and their GFW push is the best that ever could have happend :D

A standard is just whats needed, so many multiplattform games. e.x Dirt just plug in you 360 pad and your off as all GFW games must support the 360 pad. more options for ppl means better and easier gaming. before the GFW games it was a bloody mess to get a game pad to work and you have to map and trix the buttoms, I hated it so MS did the right thing!

I luuve them for that.
360 Pad FTW :D

Im probably one of the biggest Pc advocates here or atleast sound as one but many of you guys is waay worse.
Beeing a Pc gamer doesent mean that you must bitch on everything every damn day LOL
Hope Magus heard me now :D

nekrosoft13
05-14-08, 07:51 AM
Rumblepad 2. The only PC gamepad I ever owned (and I've owned many) with nice, precise analog sticks and a D-Pad that works flawlessly, even diagonally.

what? how could it be the only gamepad you EVER owned and at the same time owned many more?

nekrosoft13
05-14-08, 07:52 AM
I love my 360 controller on the PC. I use X-Padder to get it to work with games that don't support it, and I have this really old DXTweak tool that lets me change dead zones, sensitivity, and limits.

those work on vista64? i might give it another chance if those programs are any good. but right now i went back to logitech wireless rumblepad 2

ragejg
05-14-08, 07:52 AM
A good gamepad is golden worth in racing, its a must and MS 360 pad and their GFW push is the best that ever could have happend :D

A standard is just whats needed, so many multiplattform games. e.x Dirt just plug in you 360 pad and your off as all GFW games must support the 360 pad. more options for ppl means better and easier gaming. before the GFW games it was a bloody mess to get a game pad to work and you have to map and trix the buttoms, I hated it so MS did the right thing!

I luuve them for that.
360 Pad FTW :D

Im probably one of the biggest Pc advocates here or atleast sound as one but many of you guys is waay worse.
Beeing a Pc gamer doesent mean that you must bitch on everything every damn day LOL
Hope Magus heard me now :D

You're definitely gonna catch some hell for that, but I somewhat agree with you, lol.

IN CONCEPT GFW is a good idea, and the 360 controller is generally a good quality piece of hardware. It is unfortunate that people on this and other boards have suffered from problems with their 360 controller, though. I have a 360 pad and have zero problems with it at this point, and I also really like how it works with games such as GOW and Lost Planet.

LordJuanlo
05-14-08, 07:59 AM

Did you change it?. Maybe you got a faulty one, I have been using it for almost a year and it works superb, zero dead-zone problems, thumbsticks are great. I prefer it over the Logitech because of the analog triggers, you can control throttle in car games easily. And I have been using the Dual Action and Dual Shock for years, but they don't stand a chance against the 360 controller, except for the d-pad (which is almost useless).

With the 360 controller Trackmania Forever and Race Driver Grid work really good, the precission is superb.

Thingding
05-14-08, 08:23 AM

Can anybody explain why this thing inverts the Y-axis on Gears Of War and the config won't turn it back?

And how come it doesn't work in the menu on DiRT?

And why it never, EVER seems to rumble?!

other than that, yep, great pad.

MrTexTure
05-14-08, 08:52 AM
You're definitely gonna catch some hell for that, but I somewhat agree with you, lol.

IN CONCEPT GFW is a good idea, and the 360 controller is generally a good quality piece of hardware. It is unfortunate that people on this and other boards have suffered from problems with their 360 controller, though. I have a 360 pad and have zero problems with it at this point, and I also really like how it works with games such as GOW and Lost Planet.

Nice you agree and I know I bitch about a little of everything now and then myself cant help it :D

Sure I wish they did a little better support with the drivers for the pad, e.x that you can't turn the damn controller of after you started it. on the 360 that was not any problem.

Other than that I have zero problem to and it feels and looks great, working perfectly in the games you said as it should be. okey I prefer the old trusty key/mouse setup but in racing and some other games I use the gamepad. easy just start the game and go just as with a console. much better now for average Joe to get into Pc gaming and thats million dollars worth!

Ninjaman09
05-14-08, 09:11 AM
what? how could it be the only gamepad you EVER owned and at the same time owned many more?
You have to read the whole sentence.
The only PC gamepad I ever owned (and I've owned many) with nice, precise analog sticks and a D-Pad that works flawlessly, even diagonally.
Feeling particularly argumentative today, hmm nekro? ;)

BTW I have to agree with you Elvin, I love the Logitech pad - only one I've used that I find a suitable substitute for a PSX/SNES controller and it works very well in several of my PC games.
Can anybody explain why this thing inverts the Y-axis on Gears Of War and the config won't turn it back?

And how come it doesn't work in the menu on DiRT?

And why it never, EVER seems to rumble?!
The rumble feature works fine on mine, no idea there. As for the games, sounds like game specific problems.

nekrosoft13
05-14-08, 09:13 AM
i only have two problems with mine

1) bad driver/no config options
2) thumbsticks are horrible

I tried about 10 360 controllers, only 2 plugged in the PC, but all of them are about 1-2 mm loose each way. Because you can't set deadzone in quite a few games. Especially in racing game it causes the car to weave and not center correctly.

Bman212121
05-14-08, 09:27 AM
For some reason, that's strangely arousing.

The icing on the cake would be the monkey's guessing the air/speed velocity of a fully laden swallow while they are at it.

By chance would that be an Africian swallow? :lol:

nekrosoft13
05-14-08, 09:30 AM
Feeling particularly argumentative today, hmm nekro? ;)

missed that part, no harm done