PDA

View Full Version : 9600gt resolution/drivers/card (?) problem

ermine
05-14-08, 11:24 AM
I installed my new 9600gt last night, downloading and installing the latest signed driver to set it up. Sadly the driver/card did not work at all - I checked out the Windows Experience rating and it returned a 1.0 for 3d graphics. I tried again, this time completely cleaning the old drivers and reinstalling. This time the driver seemed to find the card properly and my Windows Experience rating went up to 5.9.
The problem, however, was the visual experience. Firstly the screen kept changing between a huge screen that did not fit on the monitor, meaning that I had to guess at the location of the Start menu, and a minute 800x640 screen that was unusable. I had to continually use the Resize facility in the Nvidia utility. Occasionally I would succeed in finding a resolution that would fit the screen. However, where my old 8600gt would render graphics, windows and text nice and smoothly, the new card distorted everything so that all graphics appeared vertically stretched and, even more disppointingly, both text and graphics were horrible to look at. Changing the resolution just ruined the screen fit again, making no difference to the horrid general appearance described below. I don't know how best to describe the appearance, but text in Word documents is ragged and jagged and quite difficult to read. Any icons, pictures and graphics are fairly difficult to identify - colours seem smudged and pixels were out of place - there seemed to be a profusion of white pixels liberally thrown randomly amongst other colours. As I said, I dont know how to describe this better, but the output is, whilst just about usable, quite horrid to look at. What might be going wrong, and what might be the solution? Please?????

Stoneyguy
05-14-08, 02:22 PM
Have you tried removing the 9600gt and replacing the 8600gt? The driver shouldn't be the problem being that both cards use the same driver. Also, did you hook up the power to the card? I don't think the 8600gt used an external power pin, but the 9600 does.

ermine
05-15-08, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes to both suggestions, I'm afraid. I think the reason why the card didn't work at all first was that I hadn't hooked up the power. Hooking it up made the system at least recognise the presence of the card, but didn't help it get the imaging right.

saltbread
05-15-08, 08:56 AM
Ermine, if you have the card hooked up via DVI/HDMI connection, try using a VGA connection instead. By that I mean connect the DVI to VGA adapter to the card then attach a monitor that has a VGA connector to that adapter. After you have done this, boot up the system and see if that fixes it for you.

Salty1

SLippe
05-15-08, 10:35 AM
ermine, what monitor do you have?

Sounds like the nVidia scaling is acting up or conflicting with your monitor. With my monitor, the nVidia Scaling tab is greyed out, unusable, but my monitor automatically fits everything (games mainly) to the screen. In other words, I have NHL 07, Republic Commando, etc. set to 1600x1200 in game, but even if I had it set to 1280x1024, it still fills the screen. Probably because I'm using DVI to HDMI connection though. Also, make sure you have the cable connected to the DVI connector closest to your motherboard, which I'm sure you do, but you never know. Good luck.

ermine
05-15-08, 03:44 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions. I haven't got another monitor, but surely that isn't really the point - a dedicated video card should really be able to figure these things out! (sorry - rant over). I am actually using Goodmans branded HDTV which, as I said, works perfectly well with the 8600gt. It's probably not the HD ideal, but it ought to work with the 9600. I use a DVI to HDMI link - that's all I have and, frankly, it ought to work as it did with the 8600. As Slippe said, the nvidia scaling is greyed out - so I suspected there may be some sort of monitor conflict. Maybe VGA will work, but I dont have a VGA connector, and doesnt that rather defeat the purpose?

I don't mean to sound ungrateful to those who have tried to help, but I just think these things should be easy, you know?

Any more ideas would be very welcome

Stoneyguy
05-15-08, 03:57 PM
You never listed your PSU, but maybe it's taxed to it's limit with the new card. That's doubtful unless you have a PSU less then 500 watts or got stuck with one very poorly made.

saltbread
05-15-08, 04:04 PM
Any more ideas would be very welcome

The same thing happened to me Ermine that's why I suggested you fix it by switching to VGA since that's how I fixed my problem. I've a 24" LCD with both VGA and DVI to HDMI connectors. I went from a 8800GTS 640MB on DVI with no problems to a 9600 GT and got the same problem and as I said the fix was attaching the monitor via VGA. So I am anxious as u to have the problem resolved since I feel "cooler" using DVI :) I'll go home tonight and try what Slippe suggested and connect it to the lower DVI connection (the one closest to the motherboard)

If I find a solution to the problem I'll post back here.

Salty1

ermine
05-15-08, 04:06 PM
PSU is 500w, made by Jeantech(?). it isnt old, but i dont know if its any good as dont now about relative quality. should that really make a difference? What difference can the PSU make? Why does nvidia not suggest a minimum standard and/or warn buyers that there may be a problem?

Stoneyguy
05-15-08, 07:08 PM
Found this spec from EVGA:

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)

Power issues can make a huge difference in performance. If it's not getting enough juice, it can cause various types of artifacting and can damage the card.

SLippe
05-15-08, 07:50 PM
If at all possible, don't use a VGA adapter, especially with an HDTV.

Do this:

• Uninstall current display driver, then reboot
• Run Driver Cleaner Pro (Cab Cleaner first, then nVidia filter)
• Run CCleaner's Registry Cleaner
• Install these (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.16_whql.html), then reboot
• Set your display properties, make sure to use the correct native resolution of your HDTV/LCD display (use DVI connection closest to motherboard and make sure both ends are seated well).

ermine
05-16-08, 01:39 PM
Thanks slippe, I'll give it a try tonight, although the only step I haven't already taken from your list is CCleeaner. Also, the native resolution of my monitor is 1650x??? and at that resolution icons and text are almost invisible on a 20 inch screen - what would you suggest?

ermine
05-20-08, 03:17 PM
I tried all of the above... In the end, I gave up. Plugged in a DVI cable and now it works fine. I worry about the comment above that I shouldn't use vga with HDTV, but if the driver doesn't work then what else can I do? Nvidia, please sort this out - I want to use HDMI.