PDA

View Full Version : MSI 8800GT V117

Clockz
05-14-08, 03:15 PM
Hi there I own a MSI 8800GT When playing games it stutters with all my games even the ones that where designed for windows vista I increased the fan speed to 60 with riva tuner still the same used the lastest whql nvidia drivers and its even worse gona try and quadro drivers hopefully it will work can the card be faulty as its the first 8800gt that came out with first cooling device on it.

Specs:

Intel Q9300
4GB Ram
MSI P35 Platinum Bios Ver: 1.8
WIndows Vista Home Basic Fully Updated
Raidmax 550watt PSU

SLippe
05-15-08, 09:30 AM
Hi there I own a MSI 8800GT When playing games it stutters with all my games even the ones that where designed for windows vista I increased the fan speed to 60 with riva tuner still the same used the lastest whql nvidia drivers and its even worse gona try and quadro drivers hopefully it will work can the card be faulty as its the first 8800gt that came out with first cooling device on it.

Specs:

Intel Q9300
4GB Ram
MSI P35 Platinum Bios Ver: 1.8
WIndows Vista Home Basic Fully Updated
Raidmax 550watt PSU
I have the same card, I guess. You talking about the MSI NX8800GT 512M OC with Quad-Pipe Cooling? This one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329)? I have played a few games with no stuttering. Your problem may lay elsewhere. Have you updated Vista? I can't really talk about Vista as I'm running WinXP Pro 32bit. I have my fan set at 75% via Rivatuner.

Clockz
05-15-08, 11:41 AM
Hi there my vista is fully updated and i have the MSI 8800GT OC v117 with the 1st nvidia stock cooler can the card be faulty

SLippe
05-15-08, 06:56 PM
Any PC hardware can always be faulty from the start, but let's hope not. I can't really comment on how Vista works, as far as what drivers, etc. it needs and all. Is that BIOS for your motherboard the latest version? Also, have you checked the BIOS of your video card to see if it's up to date? Even though you have your fan set at 60%, still could be a heating issue if your case doesn't have good air-flow.

I'm really guessing it's something to do with Vista or one (maybe both) your BIOS. Hopefully someone else can throw some input in on this.

Clockz
05-16-08, 01:39 AM
I will check for a updated bios and try it the weekend
hope fully some can help me out which is better for gaming Vista or XP

SLippe
05-16-08, 06:29 AM
I will check for a updated bios and try it the weekend
hope fully some can help me out which is better for gaming Vista or XP
XP has been in the past, but I think Vista is slowly getting there.

Clockz
05-17-08, 07:11 PM
my card is 55 degrees when playing games so it cant be overheating

Xion X2
05-18-08, 01:22 AM
It may or may not be your power supply causing your issue, but regardless you should get rid of it and put something decent in there.

Vista shouldn't cause anything to stutter; it does just fine for gaming.

Clockz
05-18-08, 07:09 AM
Ok if it is my PSU what PSU and brand would you use for my system setup below:

Intel Quadcore 9300 2.5ghz (Stock)
4GB Ram
MSI P35 Platinum Mainboard
MSI 8800GT 512MB OC
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI
3 x Zalman 120mm LED Fans
2 x Seagate 250GIG 7200rpm 16mb Cache SATA Drives
1 x Seagate 500GIG 7200rpm 32mb Cache SATA Drive
2 x ASUS DVDRW SATA 20x
1 x Antec Exhaust Cooler Fan
Im using a Raidmax 530watt Volcano PSU at the moment

heres the specs for the PSU:

http://www.raidmax.com/specs/volcano.htm

Pick a Brand and Wattage of PSU for PC Please I remember I stay in SA we limited to brands here

Xion X2
05-18-08, 12:36 PM
Ok if it is my PSU what PSU and brand would you use for my system setup below:

Intel Quadcore 9300 2.5ghz (Stock)
4GB Ram
MSI P35 Platinum Mainboard
MSI 8800GT 512MB OC
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI
3 x Zalman 120mm LED Fans
2 x Seagate 250GIG 7200rpm 16mb Cache SATA Drives
1 x Seagate 500GIG 7200rpm 32mb Cache SATA Drive
2 x ASUS DVDRW SATA 20x
1 x Antec Exhaust Cooler Fan
Im using a Raidmax 530watt Volcano PSU at the moment

heres the specs for the PSU:

http://www.raidmax.com/specs/volcano.htm

Pick a Brand and Wattage of PSU for PC Please I remember I stay in SA we limited to brands here

This may come off as harsh, but it's for your own good so that you do not ruin your system. That is a terrible power supply, and here's why:

It's a dual 12V rail (One 12V is dedicated to the CPU only)
It's modular (Modular PSUs lose power in the conversion of extra plastic connectors.)
It's cheaply built (Raidmax is not a reputable PSU company. They build computer cases.)

This would be a great replacement:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

Stick with name brands like PCPower & Cooling, Silverstone (Etasis or Zeus models), or Seasonic. And stay away from dual 12V rail designs.

I'm not saying for certain that this is causing your issues, but it very well could be. Regardless if it is or not, you should replace your power supply. You shouldn't be running expensive components like you are on a cheap power supply like you have. It can shorten the life of them.

XDanger
05-18-08, 02:01 PM
What does your PCI-E Bandwidth say with cpuid

Clockz
05-18-08, 02:55 PM
SO you think its my PSU but unfortunately those brands are avaliable in South Africa we are since we a 3rd world country and we limited to these brands. So i can get these brands below and if you would be so king enough to help me pick out a psu from the following brands and the recommended wattage and how do i check my pcie bandwidth. Are Coolermaster PSUS any good.

Brands:

Coolermaster
Antec
Gigabyte
Enermax
Zalman
Thermaltake
Raidmax

XDanger
05-20-08, 06:38 PM
Antec

SLippe
05-20-08, 06:46 PM
Antec
+1

Get the biggest wattage PSU you can afford. I'd say at least 700W or so. Remember, with PSUs the heavier usually means better quality. Do NOT go cheap on a PSU! You'll regret it later. Trust me. :cool:

Xion X2
05-20-08, 08:58 PM
SO you think its my PSU but unfortunately those brands are avaliable in South Africa we are since we a 3rd world country and we limited to these brands. So i can get these brands below and if you would be so king enough to help me pick out a psu from the following brands and the recommended wattage and how do i check my pcie bandwidth. Are Coolermaster PSUS any good.

Brands:

Coolermaster
Antec
Gigabyte
Enermax
Zalman
Thermaltake
Raidmax
Best brand on that list is Enermax. Much better than Antec.