PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS noises in games

zerobeta
05-15-08, 04:12 PM
I have noticed my 8800GTS while in certain games loading screens, like Crysis (logo playing) and UT2004 (logo and when downloading maps)

I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the GPU

I am not sure how to describe it, pretty much like a constant 'beep' but it varies...

Anyone had similar problem and know what I am talking about?

[EOCF] Tim
05-15-08, 05:44 PM
I have noticed my 8800GTS while in certain games loading screens, like Crysis (logo playing) and UT2004 (logo and when downloading maps)

I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the GPU

I am not sure how to describe it, pretty much like a constant 'beep' but it varies...

Anyone had similar problem and know what I am talking about?

Yea, it's a well known issue, it's got something to do with the capacitors, or other electronic devices on the PCB itself, which make noise under certain circumstances. It's very well documented, some have it more then others, and for some it seems to fade away after time.

I have it when I load ATI Tool, squealing noise. :)

dxx
05-15-08, 06:29 PM
I had the same issue recently with my Media Centre PC. It turned out, it wasn't my x1800 that was causing the noise as I intially had thought, but the power supply. I swapped with a slightly more powerful model, and the noise vanished.

Try unplugging a serious amount of parts from your system. Strip it down to a single harddisk, no optical drive, only a single memor module, only the keyboard and mouse for input, no other USB devices, unplug and disable the NIC, remove any expansion cards, unplug any lights - everything that isn't totally essential to the task of booting into Windows and loading the game, and see what happens. If the beeps lessen in volume, change pitch, or vanish, it could indicate an underpowered PSU. If not, it can indicate that it's something else. Possibly the GPU, or possibly the motherboard. You'll have fun finding out though, I'm sure. And, as ever, 2-way swaps are the best troubleshooting practise.

zerobeta
05-15-08, 06:32 PM
And I assume this is just noise, nothing can happen to the card itself?

I also have a constant low pitch beep noise coming from the GPU, happens just all of a sudden, sometimes when I reboot, then won't go away until I turn off the computer for a while, and its only a matter of time or maybe something that 'activates' it until itll come back.

But it is a great card :)

As for the PSU it is a 620W HX model, don't believe its making the noise, but I will try to pay attention again where its coming from.

dxx
05-15-08, 06:37 PM
To be honest, I don't know. However, if it is the PSU that's making the noise, and the noise is made by overstressed capacitors, you could well be heading towards PSU-failureland. What happens when it fails is a matter of chance. Could be messy. Could not happen at all. Erring on the side of caution is the wisest step.

EciDemon
05-22-08, 08:52 AM
My card also makes this noise in some games, to me it seems to happen when FPS is very high like in the thousands.

So turning on VSync removes the noise

Q
05-22-08, 11:01 AM
It's just a capacitor squealing. Nearly all modern enthusiast level cards have this problem to some degree.