PDA

View Full Version : 9800 GX2 problem.... help needed

Dreamwalker
05-16-08, 03:05 AM
Built a new system 3 weeks ago and everything has been running perfectly fine up until the other day.

Whilst playing Eve-Online I suddenlt lost my screen image and the monitor told me that is was gonig into power saving mode. The fan on the graphics card kicked into overdrive and remained like that. Now, if I turned the monitor off the fan dropped to idle speed. When turning the monitor back on the fan went to full speed again but no image.

I could still hear the game sounds/music coming through my speakers so the computer clearly hadn't crashed.

The only way for me to restore my screen was to do a soft re-boot and everything would work fine again for about an hour and then it would repeat.

Temp wish the card is operating between 62 - 75 degrees whilst gaming.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers in case they had become corrupted. No difference. Installed the lastest drivers last night and still no difference.

What would cause something like this to happen after 3 weeks of trouble free computing??

Computer system:
Vista 64 Ultimate
E8500 with tuniq tower
8GB G.Skill Ram
Asus Maximus Formula MB
BFG 9800 GX2
Coolermaster 1000w PSU

grey_1
05-16-08, 04:01 AM
Try disabling SLI, if it works fine with it disabled, your card may have fried.

David power
05-16-08, 04:33 AM
Built a new system 3 weeks ago and everything has been running perfectly fine up until the other day.

Whilst playing Eve-Online I suddenlt lost my screen image and the monitor told me that is was gonig into power saving mode. The fan on the graphics card kicked into overdrive and remained like that. Now, if I turned the monitor off the fan dropped to idle speed. When turning the monitor back on the fan went to full speed again but no image.

I could still hear the game sounds/music coming through my speakers so the computer clearly hadn't crashed.

The only way for me to restore my screen was to do a soft re-boot and everything would work fine again for about an hour and then it would repeat.

Temp wish the card is operating between 62 - 75 degrees whilst gaming.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers in case they had become corrupted. No difference. Installed the lastest drivers last night and still no difference.

What would cause something like this to happen after 3 weeks of trouble free computing??

Computer system:
Vista 64 Ultimate
E8500 with tuniq tower
8GB G.Skill Ram
Asus Maximus Formula MB
BFG 9800 GX2
Coolermaster 1000w PSU

I'm not a rocket surgeon man but that sounds like it could be the problem I had. My 9800GX2 would play grand for about a hour and then it would freeze, this got progressively worse to the point that the card would freeze at the desktop, I eventually RMA'd the card and was told by the lads here that it maybe heat damage because the temp / fan speed controller does not work correctly.

I used to get more play time out of my GX2 when I rivatunerd the fan speed the 100%.

try upping the fan speed with rivatuner and see if she lasts longer. if so this could mean heat damage.

if it is damaged you can just say that its a fault with the card and you want a new one. (like me :P)

Rivatuner (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner)

Have a look at the temps of the card when it is running, I was told by XFX that 70c is ok but above that it gets flaky.

So you could use coolbit to use nVidia controll panel to see the temps too so use this to unlock that funcanality. oh and for some reason the GX2 can blue screen in the control panel using this (I think it was a problem with the first driver) coolbit (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815)

Donít worry about coolbit by the way. its a reg hack so its not going to do much.

Dreamwalker
05-16-08, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I shall try them all when I get home from work and let you know how I get on.

Fingers crossed that my card hasn't fried as I hate losing gaming time while I RMA it. :headexplode:

Cheers

Dreamwalker
05-16-08, 02:58 PM
Ah well, problem still exists :thumbdwn:

Tried reseating the graphics card first and then d/l rivatuner and set the fanspeed to 60%. I ran GPU-Z to monitor temps and the card never rose above 58 degrees. After 2.5 hours of gaming my screen went into power save mode and the fan rose to full-speed.

I then disabled SLI and managed to carry on playing for another 45mins before it happened again. :( Temp was at 55 degrees just before I lost my screen image.

Guess it's going to be RMA time unless there are any other suggestions?

grey_1
05-16-08, 03:11 PM
I'm thinking, just for troubleshooting purposes, try a different set of PCIx connectors. Doesn't that PSU have 2x8 pin and 2 or 4 6 pin? Or try another PSU altogether. If that doesn't do it, I think I would RMA to be safe.

Gorion
05-16-08, 08:57 PM
Not sure which drivers you are using but Eve-online hates the 174.74 drivers with the GX2 (worked fine with my 8800 gts 640, go figure). When I swithched to the 175.63's all is well again in Eve.

Not sure if this will help you but it did wonders for me.

Dreamwalker
05-17-08, 04:59 AM
Latest update and more woes!!!

Before RMA'ing the GX2 I got my old 8800GTX out of my XP system and installed it into my Vista system and it was worse!

Now, everytime I boot as soon as the windows desktop has finished loading the monitor goes into power save mode :(

I can boot into safe mode and no problems. I have uninstalled the drivers (175.19) and tried several earlier versions and the same thing keeps happening each time.

Tried Windows repair/restore with no joy.

Tested memory and all checked out okay.

All cables and seating of card are okay. Swopped modular cables on power supply just in case.

Tried booting with my other monitor and it happens with that one too.

any suggestions please?

grey_1
05-17-08, 06:57 AM
Try another monitor or another PSU?

How's the GX2 or GTX when installed in your XP system?