PDA

View Full Version : Stripping system with vista OEM!

ATOJAR
05-17-08, 07:18 AM
Heres the deal, i havent stripped & cleaned my system since i installed vista OEM, i usually stripp my system and give it a good clean one every few months just to get ridd of any dust that my antec 900 has helped gather! .... im alittle worried about stripping ect just incase when i put the system back together im asked to re-activate, what do you reckon i shoud do?

Darkoz
05-17-08, 11:07 AM
As long as you're not changing any significant hardware there's no reason why you would need to re-activate windows.

Revs
05-17-08, 11:15 AM
Vista OEM registers it's self to your mobo serial no AFAIK. As long as you're not changing the mobo you'll be fine.

I've just installed Vista for the second time (same mobo) with the same code and it auto registered without me needing to do anything.

ATOJAR
05-17-08, 05:36 PM
Ahh so i can re-install my vista OEM as many times as i like in my current system(as long i i dont make any major hardware changes)without worrying about activation?

Revs
05-17-08, 06:32 PM
Ahh so i can re-install my vista OEM as many times as i like in my current system(as long i i dont make any major hardware changes)without worrying about activation?

Yeah. You can change anything exept the mobo.

Darkoz
05-17-08, 10:44 PM

Hang on, maybe you should clarify what you're wanting to do.
If you're talking about re-installing Vista itself as in you're statement above then no you can't do it as many times as you like, you will have to activate it either online or by phone each time you install it.

Revs
05-18-08, 06:17 AM
Yeah, but online activation is automatic. It'll just do it it's self after a couple of days or you can click the 'Activate now' button.

bacon12
05-18-08, 05:20 PM
I have activated my oem vista 3 times on the same mobo without calling. I think there is a limit after which you will have to call.

Dragunov
05-18-08, 05:42 PM
Changing BIOS of ur mobo, can already need a call of reactivation and if u mobo breaks normally u need a new license, but when u call they gonna give u a new reactivation code without any problem

ATOJAR
05-18-08, 06:13 PM
I think there is a limit after which you will have to call.

Ive heard the limit is three times ... don't know how true that is though.

Dragunov, when you say "Changing BIOS of ur mobo" does that mean as in flashing to a newer version BIOS or overclocking ect?....

crainger
05-18-08, 07:50 PM
Changing BIOS of ur mobo, can already need a call of reactivation and if u mobo breaks normally u need a new license, but when u call they gonna give u a new reactivation code without any problem

Yeah, with OEM they will let you reactivate IF the motherboard died. If you do an upgrade then you need a new Vista, but it all depends on what you tell the guys at MS, :;): :;):

You can swap other hardware to your hearts content though. You might have to call, but just tell them what you did and they'll help you out. Here in AU the phone system is all automated, so you don't even have to speak to a live operator. ::D:

Dragunov
05-19-08, 05:38 AM
Ive heard the limit is three times ... don't know how true that is though.

Dragunov, when you say "Changing BIOS of ur mobo" does that mean as in flashing to a newer version BIOS or overclocking ect?....

Flashing, cause if u flash, the OS can see the BIOS as a new mainboard

Wolfhound
05-19-08, 06:02 AM
Vista OEM registers it's self to your mobo serial no AFAIK. As long as you're not changing the mobo you'll be fine.

I've just installed Vista for the second time (same mobo) with the same code and it auto registered without me needing to do anything.

I had changed the SATA mode from legacy SATA to AHCI and it prompted for reactivation

Wolfhound
05-19-08, 06:12 AM

I had changed the SATA mode from legacy SATA to AHCI and it prompted for reactivation

LordJuanlo
05-19-08, 07:24 AM
Flashing, cause if u flash, the OS can see the BIOS as a new mainboard

I flashed BIOS and Vista didn't say anything, I didn't have to reactivate

Dragunov
05-19-08, 10:35 AM
I had too, twice