PDA

View Full Version : ANTEC P190

Pages : [1] 2 3

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-18-08, 02:56 PM
Hi guys

does anyone here have a P190 case?

if so have anyone tried and succesfully been able to fit the THermalRIght Ultra extreme 120 cpu cooler/heatsink?

i am thinking about it but since it is aas huge as it is i am not so sure it will fit

and the gemini II isnīt as good is it?

scythe ninja plus rev B might be a good option to replace the original intel cooling or the new NOctua

give some thoughts and ideas to how make my new case and cpu even cooler

greets
Asus

Tym
05-18-08, 04:55 PM
With this case, installing a 'tall' CPU cooler can be problematic due to the size of the side fan - the fan housing with the air filter is quite thick. The fan can be removed, but I decided to keep it, so I was unable to install my old Scythe Ninja rev. B. Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme is actually even taller, so it definitely won't fit either.

If you want to keep the side fan installed, you will have to stay away from 'vertical' heatsink designs. I'm using a Thermalright SI-128 (I put the Scythe fan on it) and I'm very happy with it, so this is a possible solution.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 03:13 AM
how about the coolermaster gemini II is it generally a good cpu cooler?
and will it fit the P190?

the there is the scythe zipangwich is a bit hard to find in Sweden at the moment though

Tym
05-19-08, 03:39 AM
I considered the GeminII myself, but it is extremely large and heavy (almost 850g), and the performance is actually disappointing. It's hard to find a good, extensive test/comparison... There is one here: http://www.egielda.com.pl/?str=art&id=3838-17.

It is in Polish, but it has good photos, detailed specs and numerical scores, so it can be useful. Use the "Spis tresci" drop-down list to navigate between various coolers.

The scores in the tables at the bottom are as follows:

Oceny końcowe = Final score (sometimes there are separate scores for active (fan) / passive (no fan) configurations)
Wydajność = Performance
Wyposażenie = Package
Hałas = Noise
Montaż = Installation
Zgodność z AM2 = AM2 compatibility
SUMA = TOTAL

The last two are prices in Poland.

For the GeminII, the scores are mediocre.

The pros: Quite efficient chipset cooling; Wow-factor (covers the entire width of the mobo).

The cons: Price; Performance well below expectations; Price-to-performance ratio (expecially considering that fans are not included); Heavy (bends the motherboard VERY significantly); Difficult to install.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 04:03 AM
well seems as there is no good solution for this case too bad if iīd known it i might have gone for the CM Cosmos 1000 but still there must be some good solution to replace the original intel cooler

Noctua NH12-P or so perhaps?

grey_1
05-19-08, 04:36 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3068 ;)

I love mine, fan on low, overclocked to 3ghz Orthos maxes my proc out at 42c. It's basically a smaller version of the Ultra 120.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 04:59 AM
Hey GRey_1

how does the ultima 90 do with sya Noctua fans the 1300 more precisley or their 92mm fan or 2 of them seems one can fit two at least

iīm thinking of this Noctua NH-U12P it seems to get good reviews all over the net pro reviews as user comments, unless it is too big to fit the P190?

grey_1
05-19-08, 05:15 AM
I like the looks of that! I grabbed the Ultima because it beat the earlier Noctuas with fans on low.
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3268
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4283/idle2qp7.png (http://imageshack.us)

I'd love to find a review that compares them both using the same exact fan. Right now I'm using a cheap Zalman 92mm that's dead silent, so with a bit more airflow my Ultima would cool even better, but that Noctua looks very sweet.

That would be a tough call for me if I had seen that before I bought mine.

EDIT: I can't really comment on it's fit in a P190 - the Ultima fits in my Antec 900 with about 1.5 inches to spare.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 05:36 AM
well check the vid review by 3gameman on the P190 and you see what a monster to case it is

grey_1
05-19-08, 05:56 AM
That's a beastie alright. Given that my 900 is only 8 inches wide at it's widest point, you should be able to fit either of these hsfs in there no sweat.

I saw this reviewer comment on newegg though.
The side fan only gives you about 125mm clearance to the cpu socket so the taller heatsinks are out.

That's a big fan to clear.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 06:48 AM
yep could almost have no cpu fan just a passive cooler since that ginat fan will cool it anyway or i can use the scythe Zipang wich comes with a 140mm fan can be replaced for a 120mm.

also there is the thermozero nirvana wich has goten good reviews only is you canīt/or can replace the fan it is mad e to not replace but it can with some careful and hardwork be done.

i think

it was this or the cosmos(s) i got a better price on this almost900 below reatial price so iw as happy

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 11:41 AM
i think i might go for the Noctua NH-U12P cooler if i wil change the original inte that is if i OC the Cpu this cooler more or less might be attended for the P190...well not only it but it will be a good replacement

grey_1
05-19-08, 12:54 PM
i think i might go for the Noctua NH-U12P cooler if i wil change the original inte that is if i OC the Cpu this cooler more or less might be attended for the P190...well not only it but it will be a good replacement
Post pics and numbers if you get it! Now I'm interested in it. :)

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 01:08 PM
i will if i get it for sure i will

i just placed an order on it hope my gal friend wonīt kill me now (fingers crossed)

grey_1
05-19-08, 03:21 PM
i will if i get it for sure i will

i just placed an order on it hope my gal friend wonīt kill me now (fingers crossed)
Buy her flowers! Quick! Lots of flowers! :D

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 04:11 PM
yeah 20 roses 14 tulipans and a big box of chocolate adna kiss....hope hope :D

i also ordered some thermal paste: Arctic Cooling MX-2Thermal Compound

it has been told to be a really good one at a forum hope it is

this will be my first change od cooler so hope hope i will do ok and not burn the cpu

shabby
05-19-08, 04:40 PM
Here's the solution...

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5574/p1902ff6.jpg

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 05:22 PM
you mean you fasten the 200mm fan outside to fit a TRUE in it?

well too late iīve already ordered the NHU-12P or so

it is a nice case no question about it.

but is the motherboard tray removable?

grey_1
05-19-08, 05:26 PM
yeah 20 roses 14 tulipans and a big box of chocolate adna kiss....hope hope :D

i also ordered some thermal paste: Arctic Cooling MX-2Thermal Compound

it has been told to be a really good one at a forum hope it is

this will be my first change od cooler so hope hope i will do ok and not burn the cpu
You'll do fine, just follow the instructions (http://www.arctic-cooling.com/further_prod2.php?idx=140&data=3&disc=).
The installation link on the page prompts you to open a pdf.

That stuff looks good. I've been using AS5, might have to get a tube of this too. :)

And flowers for the wife! :D LoL

shabby
05-19-08, 06:22 PM
you mean you fasten the 200mm fan outside to fit a TRUE in it?

well too late iīve already ordered the NHU-12P or so

it is a nice case no question about it.

but is the motherboard tray removable?

Yes thats what you have to do. Cancel your order then, dont settle for a worse heatsink.
No the mobo tray isnt removeable.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-08, 06:31 PM
shabby does it rquire alot of extra work installing the fan on the outside?

well i did cancle the noctua and foun the TRUE ceahper at another webshop+a noctua 1300 §20mm fan for the TRUE
so i hope i havenīt done something i wil regret later

shabby
05-19-08, 07:39 PM
Not at all, you undo the 4 screws holding the bracket, undo another 4 to flip the fan over, then just screw it back in on the outside. There's nothing holding the grill though, it just dangles in my pic, maybe if you bend the sides of it you can get it to hold on to the fan. The good news is that the filter is removeable from the outside :)

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-20-08, 04:35 AM
that might create som nosie canīt it be flipped inside and still fit the TRUE? so it blows outwards instead of inwards and use the upper hard drive cage as a fan? I saw in the 3DGAMEMAN review that the upper cage ca be truned to a fan bracket and i could pu my 2x250gb anad 2 1tbīs in the lower bracker?

shabby
05-20-08, 05:39 PM
It doesnt make any extra noise, and it cant be inside the case if you have a tall heatsink... its just not gonna happen. When you flip the fan it blows inside the case.
Yes the upper cage can hold a fan, and you can stick 4 more drives in the lower cage.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-21-08, 09:33 AM
shabby can you post a "inside" pic of your case?