PDA

View Full Version : How to remove thermal paste from processor?

Deimos
05-06-03, 09:39 AM
I have just removed my old processor, but would like to store it in case I ever would like to use it again.

However, what do I use to remove the thermal paste from the processor and the heatsink? Just a soft cloth?

Would be nice to hear from someone experienced.

/Deimos

Riptide
05-06-03, 10:11 AM
Use 99% rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth to remove the paste.

saturnotaku
05-06-03, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Use 99% rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth to remove the paste.

Exactly. If you can't find 99% alcohol, 91% works fine as well. For the lint-free cloth cut up an old, clean t-shirt. Make sure you don't use any paper-based products as the wood fibers can cause scratches on sensitive electronic components. :)

jonjay
05-06-03, 11:44 AM
nail varnish remover.

Deimos
05-06-03, 02:53 PM
Ok, thanks for all the replies. I'lll go shopping for some serious alcohol then :)

/Deimos

The Baron
05-06-03, 06:18 PM
OK.

You don't need a lint free cloth.

I did it with Q-tips and (believe it or not) hydrogen peroxide, thinking it was isopropyl alcohol. However, acetone works better than anything else on the planet. Just rub it with isopropyl alcohol when you're done, because the acetone leftovers might, uh, ignite ;)

zsynth
05-06-03, 06:23 PM
I've used "GOOF OFF" for a long time, it works great, cleans up stubborn gunk really well, and I never had any problems DO NOT USE "GOO GONE". It has residues. After using "GOOF OFF", I use alcohol. Do not touch the surface area after cleaning, finger prints leave oils.

digitalwanderer
05-06-03, 06:48 PM
That's how I always do it. Squirt a little lighter fluid on a paper towel and it just wipes the crap right up without leaving a residue. :)

Smokey
05-07-03, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by madthumbs
Nail polish remover is acetone with a bunch of impurities like condistioners and fragrances. Acetone is cheap enough and won't leave crap behind.

You said this to me before also :p My wifes nail polish remover does not contain any acetone, Ive always used it with no problems at all ;)

Kruno
05-07-03, 01:59 AM
I just used toilet paper. It works well too.

LORD-eX-Bu
05-07-03, 02:12 AM
yeah lol, when I was puttin in my P4 I didn't wanna look for a lint free cloth or whatever and I just used a paper napkin and some crazy alcohol:D

vampireuk
05-07-03, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
I just used toilet paper. It works well too.

I really hope it was clean:eek:

LORD-eX-Bu
05-07-03, 02:49 AM
no way vamp, thats the best paste of all:rofl

zsynth
05-07-03, 02:51 AM
I used toilet paper once. Made my processor turn to brown. :o

volt
05-07-03, 06:22 AM
acetone good :p

vampireuk
05-07-03, 07:24 AM
For us Brits, what is it called over here? I've searched everywhere and well damn the language barrier of bastardised english!:p :D

|JuiceZ|
05-07-03, 11:24 AM
Some good ole' spit, and whatever pair of socks I'm wearing works fine for me :D

truthfully the q-tip & acohol combo hasn't failed me yet.

Greg
05-08-03, 06:14 AM
I found nail polish remover to be a poor cleaner. It depends quite a bit on the kind of paste you're removing. The wax stuff needs a good scraping, preferably while it is still warm, so run the system hot before removing the HSF, then work quick. Isoprople (?) alchohol is good, but the main thing that gets the stuff off is what you scrap/rub it with. Cotton buds and paper products leave lots of little bits of crap that's hard to get rid of. Fingernails seem to scrape well, but i'm not sure of the health hazard of getting those chems under your nails :O

The Baron
05-08-03, 10:16 AM
Hm. I removed a thermal pad with a lot of Q-tips and hydrogen peroxide (yes. I'm an idiot.) and didn't have a problem.

Maybe hydrogen peroxide is the Supa Cleaner?

marqmajere
05-08-03, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
Some good ole' spit, and whatever pair of socks I'm wearing works fine for me :D

hahaha:rofl:

I almost spit Gatorade on my monitor with that one.

vampireuk
05-08-03, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Hm. I removed a thermal pad with a lot of Q-tips and hydrogen peroxide (yes. I'm an idiot.) and didn't have a problem.

Maybe hydrogen peroxide is the Supa Cleaner?

Do you try to break anything you get your hands on?:D

Phyre
05-08-03, 01:27 PM
You can also try starting fluid. Ether is one of the best bleaners I've seen so far. I don't use it for cleaning my heat sink, but man, can that stuff remove crap.

Phyre