PDA

View Full Version : Changing file type icons in Vista...

CaptNKILL
05-19-08, 11:24 AM
Am I retarded or can you no longer change the icons for file types?

In XP it used to be right in the same area as the file associations and folder options, but now it is neither with the file associations (under default programs in the start menu) or with the folder options.

For some reason my .htm and .html file icons are just blank white sheets of paper and it makes it hard to pick them out of a big mess of files. I tried deleting the icon cache file, and I tried changing the file association from Firefox to IE and back and nothing will fix the icons. I want to change them manually but I can't seem to find any way to do this in vista ultimate x64.

Anyone know of a way to do this? Or even WHY this would have happened? The only thing I can think of that could have caused this was installing Firefox 3 a couple days ago (was user 2 before).

Lfctony
05-19-08, 11:41 AM
Same here. It must be a Vista problem...

crainger
05-27-08, 06:10 PM
Doesn't look like you can change the file type icon. It will only change according to which program is the default to open it. So maybe change it so it opens with another program and then change back to your preferred app and see if the reloads a more suitable icon.

DRen72
05-27-08, 06:28 PM
Some programs, like Vista Manager or TuneUp Utilities 2008, allow you to change most icons associated with a program to something of your choice.