PDA

View Full Version : XBLive File Size Cap Raised

|MaguS|
05-20-08, 01:07 PM
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/20/xbla-file-size-limit-increases-to-350mb/

MS has increased the file size for XBLive titles from 100MB to 350MB due to demand from developers... I still think they should just get rid of the cap... if a developer wants to make the game larger then what a memory card would support then they should be allowed, they are only hurting their own sales...

Mr. Hunt
05-20-08, 09:20 PM
It is good that they raised it, but 350MB is nothing.

JaylumX
05-21-08, 01:17 AM
Could this mean that portal could come out on XBLA since i remember reading that MS denied Valve from flogging portal on live due to its filesize?

3DBrad
05-21-08, 09:18 AM
Could this mean that portal could come out on XBLA since i remember reading that MS denied Valve from flogging portal on live due to its filesize?

They'd probably have to remove/reduce a ton of normal maps, and remove a bunch of ambient sounds if they were going to get it to fit 350mb.

Peoples-Agent
05-21-08, 10:00 AM
They are already releasing Xbox1 games without file size limits, not sure why they don't just do that with newer stuff.

Imbroglio
05-21-08, 10:09 AM
They are already releasing Xbox1 games without file size limits, not sure why they don't just do that with newer stuff.

qft, the cap related solely to "arcade" games. the rumor was goldeneye was never released because they could never get it to fit under the 100mb cap. makes you wonder....(nana2)

|MaguS|
05-21-08, 11:08 AM
qft, the cap related solely to "arcade" games. the rumor was goldeneye was never released because they could never get it to fit under the 100mb cap. makes you wonder....(nana2)
Golden eye would easily fit under 100MB...

Imbroglio
05-21-08, 11:24 AM
Golden eye would easily fit under 100MB...

the original yes, but i thought it was getting hd textures like super cobra kai street fighter uber l33t shapeshifting remix HD or whatever it's called. I know that needed to be granted a "special exception" for the file size originally by ms.

Ninja Prime
05-21-08, 11:39 AM
the original yes, but i thought it was getting hd textures like super cobra kai street fighter uber l33t shapeshifting remix HD or whatever it's called. I know that needed to be granted a "special exception" for the file size originally by ms.

Goldeneye was on a 12 MB cartridge. Less than 4 MB of it was textures. You could pump up the textures 16 times and still easily fit it in 100mb. As I recall, the Goldeneye deal was because it was a licensed nintendo product, not some size restriction.

JigenD
05-21-08, 11:49 AM
They'd probably have to remove/reduce a ton of normal maps, and remove a bunch of ambient sounds if they were going to get it to fit 350mb.

I really don't see the point in releasing PART of a game that's already out onto XBLA.

Goldeneye was on a 12 MB cartridge. Less than 4 MB of it was textures. You could pump up the textures 16 times and still easily fit it in 100mb. As I recall, the Goldeneye deal was because it was a licensed nintendo product, not some size restriction.

Yea I heard that somehow because Rare published it on N64, Nintendo still held onto it. I also heard that Nintendo of America was OK with it being on 360, but Nintendo of Japan said no.

ralinn
05-21-08, 12:37 PM
Ah, this is good news for Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix *gasps for air*. Apparently they were having issues with the file size.

Imbroglio
05-21-08, 01:21 PM

Street Fighter 2 fit on a 24mb cartridge, so what's your point again? (knowing that this needed an exception for the file size cap)

JigenD
05-21-08, 03:27 PM
Street Fighter 2 fit on a 24mb cartridge, so what's your point again? (knowing that this needed an exception for the file size cap)

SF2 for SNES was 24 megaBITS probably. Seeing as the SNES didn't support 24 megaBYTE cartridges, and that the arcade versions (with far superior details in every way) weren't even 16 megabytes...

Imbroglio
05-21-08, 05:00 PM
wasn't referring to snes (my reply is also in reference to a n64 game, but i wasn't referring to a n64 cartridge either)..... but anyway

Ninja Prime
05-21-08, 05:23 PM

My point is Goldeneye is a simple game and with 100MB file size wasnt the issue, it was something else, and you are completely wrong.

Better?

ViN86
05-21-08, 10:40 PM
My point is Goldeneye is a simple game and with 100MB file size wasnt the issue, it was something else, and you are completely wrong.

Better?
here's the article imbro was referring to:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166495

the article describes how Bionic Commando Rearmed, a remake of the NES game released on PSN and XBL, suffers on the 360 due to the file size cap.

IF Goldeneye were to be a remake, with improved everything (models/textures etc.) then it is quite easy to see how Goldeneye would be too large.

however, you were right and it does seem that licensing issues are the cause.

Imbroglio
05-22-08, 07:51 AM

Better?

i was wrong about the liscense agreements, i'll admit that. The point I was getting at is that regardless of how you look it, hd textures mixed with goldeneye gameplay would never fall under the 100mb cap. Seeing as how you think you are the end all be all at videogame knowledge, have at it. 2 other equally as small games have been mentioned that exceeded the cap, but apparently your knowledge is more vast than the devs that had worked on the other games. So let's see it, put your "wisdom" where your mouth is. Afterall, it's only a "simple" game.

Ninja Prime
05-22-08, 06:21 PM
i was wrong about the liscense agreements, i'll admit that. The point I was getting at is that regardless of how you look it, hd textures mixed with goldeneye gameplay would never fall under the 100mb cap. Seeing as how you think you are the end all be all at videogame knowledge, have at it. 2 other equally as small games have been mentioned that exceeded the cap, but apparently your knowledge is more vast than the devs that had worked on the other games. So let's see it, put your "wisdom" where your mouth is. Afterall, it's only a "simple" game.

Appearantly you can't see the difference. 2d game with sprites at 252x224x8bit color to a 3d game running at 1280x720x32 bit color = huge difference. 2d game running at 252x224x8bit color to a 2d game running at 1280x720x32bit color = huge difference.

3d game to 3d game = everything is the same except the textures. Even assuming you up the textures 120 times, with texture compression, it still should easily fit in 100MB. Even assuming you up the models in the game by 10 times the poly count, thats a few megs of data.