PDA

View Full Version : New Steam beta client out

AngelGraves13
05-20-08, 06:31 PM
There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings, and on the Account tab will be a drop down. Select Steam Client Candidate, and then allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

- Enabled ClearType fonts if they are enabled in Windows
- Improved in-game status and play time tracking for games with launcher apps
- Improved in-game overlay input handling in a variety of games that previously did not capture or block keyboard input correctly
- Added D3D10 support to the in-game overlay
- Made voice chat requests ignored if you've blocked communications from the caller
- Fixed the original Half-Life not getting to 100% complete downloading when it should
- Improved server selection logic for Friends and VAC server connections
- Improved Steam network connectivity in the face of dropped UDP packets

Update 5/20/2008

- Fixed Guest and Gift Passes not showing up in the games list if you do not activate from the instant message

Update 5/20/2008

- Fixed Steam getting stuck when trying to launch certain games

Update 5/22/2008

- Improved overlay DirectX10 compatibility (Gears of War)
- Fixed the overlay not recognizing the Tab key in some games (breaking the default hot-key)

Update 5/22/2008

- Fixed unable to load Authentication Library error with GoldSrc games
- Improved Friends duplicate name collision detection

grey_1
05-20-08, 06:39 PM
- Enabled ClearType fonts if they are enabled in Windows
- Improved in-game status and play time tracking for games with launcher apps
- Improved in-game overlay input handling in a variety of games that previously did not capture or block keyboard input correctly
- Added D3D10 support to the in-game overlay
- Made voice chat requests ignored if you've blocked communications from the caller
- Fixed the original Half-Life not getting to 100% complete downloading when it should
- Improved server selection logic for Friends and VAC server connections
- Improved Steam network connectivity in the face of dropped UDP packets

I think the overlay support in DirectX 10 and ClearType are the two biggest features!
:thumbsup:

Thanks!

nekrosoft13
05-20-08, 06:41 PM
how do you acquire this beta?

LT.Schaffer
05-20-08, 06:46 PM
1.open steam
2.goto file/settings
3.Click the change button under beta participation
4.Use the pull down menu and click "Steam Client Candidate"
5.Then Restart Steam

evox
05-20-08, 09:19 PM
Woo ClearType! :D

AngelGraves13
05-21-08, 12:36 AM
2 updates were released for the beta today. They're listed in the first post.

LordJuanlo
05-21-08, 02:22 AM
Will try as soon as I get home

AngelGraves13
05-22-08, 10:34 PM
Another update is out. First post updated.

LordJuanlo
05-23-08, 02:26 AM
I tried to buy a game this morning and couldn't pay with paypal (as I always do), it didn't lauch a web browser to paypal site and later it said paypal authorization failed

AngelGraves13
05-23-08, 03:10 AM
I tried to buy a game this morning and couldn't pay with paypal (as I always do), it didn't lauch a web browser to paypal site and later it said paypal authorization failed

Might want to report that at the Steam Forums "Steam Client Beta Available" discussion (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684664)

Update: Just tried to purchase a game using Paypal and it worked fine, but I didn't actually buy it. It did launch for me though. Try restarting Steam.

xbob
05-23-08, 09:49 AM
I wish they would fix the hl2.exe has stopped issue on Vista, I'd take that over a new Steam client, but I will try this over the weekend.

LordJuanlo
05-23-08, 10:22 AM
Might want to report that at the Steam Forums "Steam Client Beta Available" discussion (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684664)

Update: Just tried to purchase a game using Paypal and it worked fine, but I didn't actually buy it. It did launch for me though. Try restarting Steam.

It's working now, I guess my PC just needed a reboot

evox
05-23-08, 12:41 PM
I wish they would fix the hl2.exe has stopped issue on Vista, I'd take that over a new Steam client, but I will try this over the weekend.
+1

:thumbdwn:

grey_1
05-23-08, 02:54 PM
I haven't seen that one yet.

I get "server busy" errors when trying to launch a SP game though. :headexplode:

bacon12
05-23-08, 03:14 PM
I see it every time I close tf2. It is harmless though.

xbob
05-23-08, 07:00 PM
I see it every time I close tf2. It is harmless though.

Yea, unless you look in your Reliability and Performance Reporting and you see that is a ding each time it happens. They really need to fix it, can't be that hard as not every Source Engine game does it.