PDA

View Full Version : PAGE FILE? 8GB

Sewy18
05-20-08, 09:17 PM
Hey guys what should my pagefile be at I have 8gb of memory and running vistax64.

Thanks for help

pkirby11
05-20-08, 10:42 PM

No seriously, I have 8GB or ram on Vista 64 and I have no page file. Deleted it in fact, there is no point to HDD thrashing of a page file when you have that much memory. If you spent the money for it put it to good use. I've yet to run into a single problem running it this way, just my ten cents.

grey_1
05-21-08, 03:36 AM
There was a discussion on this...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112686

I personally leave mine set to system managed atm, no real reason to change it yet.

andy_nv
05-21-08, 07:36 AM
I use 2Gb, if Windows\apps want more it will be extend automatically anyway.

JaxMacFL
05-22-08, 07:12 AM
I've read that it is not a good idea to set page file to '0' because some apps/program actually require a page file to run properly. If you have plenty of hard drive availible set it at what ever windows recommends. Under normal operations, (including gaming), all available ram will be utilized first anyway and if you have any programs that require a page file you will avoid potential problems there also.

pkirby11
05-26-08, 12:26 PM
Read this if your interested but taking the page file off causes no issues. The problem with the page file being disabled is clearly just do to lack of memory and then the program has no way to write to disk. Therefore it crashed but there aren't many programs that require any where near 8GB.

To this day for 3 months I've been running 8GB with no page file and I've yet to encounter a single error. Games run fine, programs run fine, programs run fine while gaming. My system is more responsive because there is no page file being used. You have to remember Vista handles memory in completely different way than XP did. My recommendation is if the OP is going to 8GB then he should give using no page file a try. He'll probably enjoy the results and the worse that happens an application crashes and you turn it back on.