PDA

View Full Version : A small rant about Oblivion and the Gamebryo engine...

Pages : [1] 2 3

CaptNKILL
05-21-08, 02:19 AM
I just need a place to dump my thoughts, so bear with me.

I don't know if anyone remembers all the texture work I did for Oblivion back in spring of '06, but I've just been thinking about how much time I've spent trying to fix this game as opposed to actually playing it. The texture work alone consumed about a month of my free time (usually 8 to 12 hours a day, every day) and since then I've put days and days into tweaking, downloading and installing mods. Funny thing is, I haven't actually progressed in the game's story in about a year and a half. I remember arguing about how the PC version would be better than the console versions because they would have mods, and I still think that's a great thing, because the 360 and PS3 versions have all the problems with no solutions at all... but it'd take more than a dedicated fan base to fix this game's problems for me.

Every time I pick the game up again I start it up and see all the horrible flaws that always irritate me and I end up spending a whole night scouring the web to see if anyone has fixed them yet. The most annoying part is that one of the most promising mods out there, Qarl's texture pack, went to extreme lengths to make the game look WORSE in a lot of areas (horrible tiling textures), so something as simple as downloading a texture replacer to make the game look better has turned into hours of hand deleting and replacing the textures that no one in their right mind would want to see in a game.

On top of all that, the game still runs horribly with no mods or tweaks. I can safely say that the Gamebryo engine is the worst game engine currently used in triple-A titles. There is no reason that Morrowind, a 6 year old game, should still have slow parts on a modern system and that Oblivion should have so much stuttering, freezing and generally crappy framerate.

And then there is the level scaling that punishes the player for playing the game.

It just drives me nuts that a game with so much atmosphere and so much to do has SO many glaring problems. If you completely ignore the visuals and turn the graphics settings way down so that it runs at a good framerate, you're still left with constant stutters from loading, jittery headache inducing mouse movement (they linked the first person camera view to the player model's movement for some reason), glitchy controls, and terrible level balancing.

I've tried for 2 years to enjoy this game, and every time I play it I get sucked into the amazing atmosphere but the engine blows so bad I can't play it for more than a few minutes without trying to fix something.

IMO, this game is going to go down as one of the most disappointing title's I've ever owned. Of the hundred or so hours I've put into it, half of those have been related to tweaking and trying to fix its flaws.

I know many (MANY) people love this game, but for everything it does correctly, the most noticeable things to me are the things it does horribly wrong. I just can't get over it.

Sadly, Fallout 3 uses the same engine, and for that reason, I am not going to buy the game unless the engine has undergone a MAJOR overhaul. I highly doubt this though, since Gamebryo has made Bethesda a ton of cash, despite how terrible it is.

/end rant

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-21-08, 02:40 AM
they should make a Oblivion 2.0 using a better engine like cryengine 2 or some other

CaptNKILL
05-21-08, 02:50 AM
they should make a Oblivion 2.0 using a better engine like cryengine 2 or some other
Yep, as system heavy as Crysis is, it scales pretty well with hardware and actually looks good enough to warrant its performance.

Oblivion actually runs worse than Crysis in most areas on my system, and it goes without saying that Crysis looks better at high settings. Plus Crysis is just a much smoother overall experience. Smoother mouse movement, smoother controls, less stuttering\hitching, much more realistic AI...

evox
05-21-08, 03:10 AM
Agreed. Even at toned down settings @1440x900, TES4 still gave me teen frame rates in many areas. The performance is worse than Crysis, and that's annoying because Crysis is visually superior. \

On top of all that, I never really got into the game. Don't know why. I like combat RPGs, but TES4 didn't do anything for me.

m3dude
05-21-08, 04:30 AM
lol im sitting here slack jawed at how anyone could play oblivion for more than 30 minutes. 100 hours holy ****. youd probly love s and m

CaptNKILL
05-21-08, 04:39 AM
lol im sitting here slack jawed at how anyone could play oblivion for more than 30 minutes. 100 hours holy ****. youd probly love s and m
Like I said, about half of that was actually spent playing the game... which I definitely enjoyed, but the rest was just trying to make it less irritating or crappy looking.

NarcissistZero
05-21-08, 04:43 AM
It's funny how many people LOVE Oblivion, but also how many seem to hate the game, or at least find it below average.

Personally I loved it and thought it ran fine. It was a little shallow compared to Morrowind, but a great game anyway (and I didn't use any mods but the UI replacers).

m3dude
05-21-08, 04:48 AM
its just so god damned boring. its the exact opposite of fun

nekrosoft13
05-21-08, 06:21 AM
there is no story, there is basically no point to play obivion.

yes there are tons of side quest, but there is no point to actually doing them.

3DBrad
05-21-08, 09:16 AM
Once you get out of the prison at the beginning, it all goes down hill from there. At least in the cell you could knock that chain around, chat with your buddy across the hall, and stair at the nifty parallaxed bricks. :p

So the game offers about 6 minutes of entertainment. :D

stefan9
05-21-08, 09:27 AM
One of my most hated games. Still regret buying the collectors edition. Biggest waste of money on a game I have ever done.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-21-08, 09:31 AM
i did finish the mani quest when i had my amd 64 and a x800 card man did the game kill my PC and now with a E6600 8800Ultra and the game is slow anyway. Naah hope next elder scrolls is better done this must have been a interns job not the real guys at bethseda since it won´t run on the best of computers without ahving terrible fps

omg_dastard!
05-21-08, 09:33 AM
The people looked like retards.
It runs like crap even on a GTX SLI quad
It was boring
Some things were free (in morrowind everything was worth 1gp so was worth collecting :D)
To easy
Looks crap
Just a waste of time.

I didnt particuarly like this game :(

SH64
05-21-08, 09:46 AM
It runs like crap even on a GTX SLI quad

There must be something wrong with your system .. it plays flawlessly on a single 8800U. (note : thats with QTP3 installed & some extra .cfg enhancments @1600x1200,2xAA,16xAF).

CaptNKILL
05-21-08, 10:00 AM
There must be something wrong with your system .. it plays flawlessly on a single 8800U. (note : thats with QTP3 installed & some extra .cfg enhancments @1600x1200,2xAA,16xAF).
That I'd have to see. :o

I just played the game on a fresh install last night and at 1600x1200 0xAA, 16xAF I was getting between 20 and 50fps just wandering around in the hills near the imperial city with some spikes into the 70s, but generally in the low 30s. Even at 60fps the game still feels choppy though because of the crappy mouse movement and the loading hitches. 30fps feels like a sluggish mess after playing many newer and better looking games at twice that framerate.

nekrosoft13
05-21-08, 10:15 AM
Its funny how many people slowly realize that Oblivion was crap from day one. Something that I pretty much knew from the start. Main quest in this game is about 7-8 hours.
Out of those 8 hours if you take out the horse ridding/dungeon exploring in between you have about 10-20 minutes of story/conversation.

Oblivion is a joke, not even close to what RPG should be. Sad thing is Fallout 3 will not be any better after these clowns at Bethesda are done with it.

SH64
05-21-08, 10:21 AM
That I'd have to see. :o

I just played the game on a fresh install last night and at 1600x1200 0xAA, 16xAF I was getting between 20 and 50fps just wandering around in the hills near the imperial city with some spikes into the 70s, but generally in the low 30s. Even at 60fps the game still feels choppy though because of the crappy mouse movement and the loading hitches. 30fps feels like a sluggish mess after playing many newer and better looking games at twice that framerate.
Hmm i'm getting an overall smooth framerate except for the stuttering when entering each new area (or map block) & in heavy fights esp when AI is involving.
just wandaring around i'm getting mostly 30s-60s .. maybe if you try disabling self-shadows ?

SH64
05-21-08, 10:26 AM
Its funny how many people slowly realize that Oblivion was crap from day one. Something that I pretty much knew from the start. Main quest in this game is about 7-8 hours.
Out of those 8 hours if you take out the horse ridding/dungeon exploring in between you have about 10-20 minutes of story/conversation.

Oblivion is a joke, not even close to what RPG should be. Sad thing is Fallout 3 will not be any better after these clowns at Bethesda are done with it.
Notice this thread is not about gameplay but rather about graphics & performance.
for the graphics + QTP3 it still looks amazing IMO. there are some performance issues as i mentioned in the above post but overall it looks great with all the graphics/.cfg mods.

CaptNKILL
05-21-08, 11:40 AM
I really didn't mind the gameplay that much, it just sucked that the leveling made the enemies stronger. I always wanted to try the game with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul but I always get side tracked with trying to tweak or fix the graphics and performance.

I really enjoyed exploring and doing side quests, which is what the game is about IMO. The main quest seems like more of an afterthought.

If the game didn't have the ridiculous enemy leveling crap I'd say the free roaming, exploring gameplay was perfectly fine. I don't see it as the same kind of RPG as Baldur's Gate, or KOTOR... no way... but for the kind of game that it is, it seemed to work really well... until you gained 10 levels and and all the bandits moved up to glass armor and the city guards could take 1200 arrows to the face before going down...

...but the performance and general sloppy feeling of everything else just drags it down so much, at least for me, that I can't even play it any more. I really really want to play it, because I know its a fun game, but I guess I've just gotten tired of the crap. 2 years worth of games and technology have come and gone and this game still runs the worst and doesn't look all that good.

Tygerwoody
05-21-08, 11:43 AM
Now now CaptNKILL. I strictly remember you telling me that Oblivion was the best game ever and everything was perfect about it. I stated my opinion about the game's flaws, yet they were "incorrect" at the time. Funny how things have changed. :lol:

Severian126
05-21-08, 12:02 PM
Am I the only one here that really liked Oblivion out of the box with no mods and such? I have the 360 version and put nearly 80 hours into it (note: at that time, I had a P4 system with a 6800 Ultra that nearly died trying to run the game at a respectable framerate, so the PC version wasn't really an option for me).

I just merely took the game as is and just ran around killing ish.

OldOfEvil
05-21-08, 12:06 PM
And people are looking forward to Fallout 3.. lulz..

CaptNKILL
05-21-08, 12:25 PM
Now now CaptNKILL. I strictly remember you telling me that Oblivion was the best game ever and everything was perfect about it. I stated my opinion about the game's flaws, yet they were "incorrect" at the time. Funny how things have changed. :lol:
I know we had our disagreements at the time but I'd love to see where I called the game perfect. :lol:

CaptNKILL
05-21-08, 12:39 PM
You know tyger, going back and reading some of our posts about Oblivion, I don't really see anything unreasonable from either of us.

I was optimistic about the performance and gameplay before it came out and we generally agreed on things. You always ripped on me for loving the game though for some reason. :lol:

I was extremely hyped about it before release but that died pretty quickly after I had the game on my PC.

the_recluse
05-21-08, 12:45 PM
Still playin' Oblivion since 06 and likin' it.