PDA

View Full Version : ASUS P5E3 Premium or XFX 790i ultra

David power
05-21-08, 12:51 PM
Ok so which one would you go for ?

I will be putting 4 gigs of OCZ RPX HPC DDR3 1333MHz ram, QX9650 and a 9800GX2 into one of those boards.

you choose for best performance

David power
05-21-08, 01:06 PM
Intel > nV chipsets.

you have a P5K Deluxe is that better than a P5E3 Premium? are both of these better than a 790i ultra?

David power
05-21-08, 05:02 PM
I've replied to your PM.

Yes you have and its a good ans too.

Thank you.

PM'd you back.

David power
05-21-08, 05:21 PM
Question for you nvnewsers.

Will my 9800GX2 work on a ASUS P5E3 Premium board? whats this i hear about it not supporting SLI? is this an issue?

JaxMacFL
05-22-08, 06:31 AM
Question for you nvnewsers.

Will my 9800GX2 work on a ASUS P5E3 Premium board? whats this i hear about it not supporting SLI? is this an issue?

You can not run two 9800GX2 in sli (known as quad sli) on the asus p5e3 premium but you can on the xfx 790i ultra mb. Now if you wait for the 4870x2 ati card you can run two of those in crossfire (known as quad xfire) on the asus mb but not on the xfx mb. Different chipsets.

David power
05-22-08, 10:36 AM
You can not run two 9800GX2 in sli (known as quad sli) on the asus p5e3 premium but you can on the xfx 790i ultra mb. Now if you wait for the 4870x2 ati card you can run two of those in crossfire (known as quad xfire) on the asus mb but not on the xfx mb. Different chipsets.

Thats cool man, I have all the parts already, my water cooling leaked and killed my Striker II Extreme so i am buying a new one.

thanks for the info, I wasnt clear about Crossfire.

David power
05-23-08, 08:36 PM
Ok, so the P5E3 P is grand, just like the striker II extreme,

I donít know if its Asus AI tool or a silly mobo but it didnít pick up the latencyís for my new ram correctly and my cpu was under clocked which I didnít under stand.

Any info on this?

Toss3
05-23-08, 11:38 PM
Ok, so the P5E3 P is grand, just like the striker II extreme,

I donít know if its Asus AI tool or a silly mobo but it didnít pick up the latencyís for my new ram correctly and my cpu was under clocked which I didnít under stand.

Any info on this?
Well, yeah, you have to put them in manually. Did you remember to disable intel speedstep and other things that are unnecessary for you processor unless you want to save some electricity?

How did your wc spring a leak? :o And how did it kill your mobo - I mean I had had tons of leaks with my previous wc setup(asetek waterchill), but not even when some of the components were dripping in water did I manage to kill anything. Are you using distilled water?

David power
05-24-08, 03:50 AM
Well, yeah, you have to put them in manually. Did you remember to disable intel speedstep and other things that are unnecessary for you processor unless you want to save some electricity?

How did your wc spring a leak? :o And how did it kill your mobo - I mean I had had tons of leaks with my previous wc setup(asetek waterchill), but not even when some of the components were dripping in water did I manage to kill anything. Are you using distilled water?

Oh I didn’t think of that man,

The Tube into the North Bridge popped off and sprayed the G card and MoBo, oh and the ram.
(the clip provided by the LCS was terrible and un screwed its self, I could also have been at fault)

but its ok now, I will turn off that Intel speedstep.

EDIT

I cant find that option any where, any clues?

Thank you man,

David power
05-24-08, 09:45 AM
Look for EIST and C1E Halt State or something like that.

and do what exactly? turn them off?

David power
05-24-08, 12:25 PM
Off.

Thank bud.

I went looking and did what you said and now the cpu multiplyer is staying at x9

Is this bad by anychance, it wont burn out will it?

David power
05-24-08, 05:33 PM
No not at all. The CPU is running with the default multi now. Speed Step is an energy saving feature, nothing else.

How did you get your CPU to 4.0GHz?

I get 16,766 or some thing like that in 3DMark06.

PC spec =
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
9800GX2 640clock
4 gigs of OCZ ReaperX 1333MHz
ASUS P5E3 Premium
and the same raptor you have.

What do you get in it?

What would a suitable Frequency + multiplier be to get 3.4 GHz

I currently have it at 360 * 9.5, is this ok? it does make the FSB go up to 1444 and my memory timings are different to the ones advertised,

They are set to 9 9 9 24 at a 720MHz 1:2 ration

If you have any advice on getting the most out of this machine please do tell, my rig is very like yours actually the only difference is you know how to use it correctly, I have been using my college laptop for far too long.

David power
05-25-08, 03:27 AM
I updated my last post with the following while you were replying.

"What would a suitable Frequency + multiplier be to get 3.4 GHz

I currently have it at 360 * 9.5, is this ok? it does make the FSB go up to 1444 and my memory timings are different to the ones advertised,

They are set to 9 9 9 24 at a 720MHz 1:2 ration

If you have any advice on getting the most out of this machine please do tell, my rig is very like yours actually the only difference is you know how to use it correctly, I have been using my college laptop for far too long."

David power
05-25-08, 04:59 AM
wow.... just had a BIOS scare,

the freking thing wouldnt boot!

poped the battery and now I'm back in action.

scary stuff.

Ok slaWter this is where I'm at now

CPU is at 3506.9MHz at 1.20 volts. (should this be higher?)

Ram is at 667 at a 1:2 ration so I'm guessing that means 1334MHz, but the thing is the timings in cpu-z say
[have a look]
http://ratload.com/File/Ram.jpg

What do you think?

David power
05-25-08, 06:01 AM
Looks good! vcore should always be at a minimum. It's ok if 1.20V is enough.
Memory frequency is ok now but you have to adjust the timings manually. If you set it to auto it reads out some standard (lower) values from the SPD.

Ok man so far so good,

I know the settings for the first 3 timings but then there are 3 more. I dont understnad what they are talking about

timings from something to something else.

hang on I will find out for you.

here is my Timings now.

http://ratload.com/File/ram%202.jpg