PDA

View Full Version : trouble installing 8800gts driverrrrr

webslinger
05-22-08, 01:39 AM
I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or there is a problem in the driver, but when I try to install the nvidia 8800gts driver in either mandriva or ubuntu 8.04, I get the same error.

here is what I do,

1) download driver to desktop
the file is named: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run

2) then I open the Konsole

3) then I type
"sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run"

as per the instructions on the nvidia site

4) I just get the error message:
no such file or directory.

help!!! I am just a poor noob and have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am following the insstructions explicitly.

thanks!!!
:headexplode:

David power
05-22-08, 03:26 AM
I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or there is a problem in the driver, but when I try to install the nvidia 8800gts driver in either mandriva or ubuntu 8.04, I get the same error.

here is what I do,

1) download driver to desktop
the file is named: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run

2) then I open the Konsole

3) then I type
"sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run"

as per the instructions on the nvidia site

4) I just get the error message:
no such file or directory.

help!!! I am just a poor noob and have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am following the insstructions explicitly.

thanks!!!
:headexplode:

Make sure you navigate to the directory where the driver you just downloaded is. When you load the console it brings you to your home directory.

Try doing the following.

Make a folder in root as root and give it the following permissions

chmod 707 (or U+rwx)

Put your driver in here and make sure you give others permission to execute it.

Then log back on with your normal user account and try again but make sure you navigate to this folder before running your command.

I can give you command if you need them.

webslinger
05-22-08, 03:53 PM
that's that is a good tip, and I would really appreciate some basic commands.
In the 'old days' I was pretty good with DOS commands, but frankly I am a little overwhelmed at my third day into trying out Mandriva and getting everything to work.

I seem to prefer it to Ubuntu, but theres a lot more ubuntu literature out there.

thanks again, and please do send some commands my way..... I owe you a coke and a candy bar!

-webslinger

David power
05-23-08, 10:32 AM
that's that is a good tip, and I would really appreciate some basic commands.
In the 'old days' I was pretty good with DOS commands, but frankly I am a little overwhelmed at my third day into trying out Mandriva and getting everything to work.

I seem to prefer it to Ubuntu, but theres a lot more ubuntu literature out there.

thanks again, and please do send some commands my way..... I owe you a coke and a candy bar!

-webslinger

or a pint and pizza :P

PM help on the way.

just look up unix commands, they apply to all linux / unix based programs.

I was never good with DOS script. started with unix so never got into DOS.