PDA

View Full Version : Asus update utility in vista!

Pages : [1] 2

ATOJAR
05-22-08, 01:48 AM
I was reading another forum when i guy asked the best way to update his asus motherboard in vista, most people where saying use Ez flash, i said why not just use asus update utility? ... somebody said using the asus update utility in vista is a easy way to wipe eeprom & kill the board! .... is this true? is using the asus update utility in vista unsafe?(i used it afew times when i was on xp with no issues) if so why do asus allow you to download the asus update utility for vista when it could kill your board?

ragejg
05-22-08, 03:05 AM
use it, jus tmake sure you're fully an admin.... temporarily kill your firewall, install teh program as admin in compatibility mode, adn run it as admin in compatibility mode.

I did it and got a very new bios, and it worked great.

David power
05-22-08, 03:15 AM
I updated my board in Vista 64bit and I didnt mess up my board. I must have been lucky.

ATOJAR
05-22-08, 03:44 AM
I updated my board in Vista 64bit and I didnt mess up my board. I must have been lucky.

Personally i think its safe! its a 99% chance that somebody has used the asus update utility in vista and its killed there board(just by chance & maby alittle unlucky)! ..... hes mentioned this on a forum and thats it ... its pread like wildfire across then net! ... i will continue to use asus update utility in vista!

Amuro
05-22-08, 07:37 AM
UAYOR, but check out the Asus forums for the sticky warning post before you use it. I'd use ez-flash with an USB flash drive. Better safe than sorry.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1&model=P5B+Deluxe%2fWiFi-AP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

JaxMacFL
05-22-08, 08:22 AM
I was reading another forum when i guy asked the best way to update his asus motherboard in vista, most people where saying use Ez flash, i said why not just use asus update utility? ... somebody said using the asus update utility in vista is a easy way to wipe eeprom & kill the board! .... is this true? is using the asus update utility in vista unsafe?(i used it afew times when i was on xp with no issues) if so why do asus allow you to download the asus update utility for vista when it could kill your board?

Yeah, ez flash and a flash drive is the safest way to go. I just download the latest bios and unzip it directly into my flash drive. Reboot and hit alt + f2 at first post. Just be sure your flash drive is formatted in FAT32 and remember it will show up as 'B:\' in the ez flash program; it always has for me anyway.

Yaboze
05-22-08, 09:02 AM
I use the bios boot ezflash and a flash drive, I have heard too many stories of that app killing mbs.

Badboy_12345
05-22-08, 09:38 AM
I have always used asus update utility and never had a problem.

Buckeye
05-22-08, 09:42 AM
It killed my Striker MB one night. Man it was a pain to get it back going.

After that I will always use a floppy/USB/CD

mailman2
05-22-08, 09:42 AM
Toss the bios on a flash drive, boot up Alt F2. Never failed me. My games crash stll in Vista, no way in hell I'd flash a bios in Vista its just not reliable enough for me to trust it yet :p

Amuro
05-22-08, 09:55 AM
You can access ez-flash under Tools in BIOS as well, if you don't remember alt-f2.

stefan9
05-22-08, 10:19 AM
I have always used ez flash. Heard too many bad stories about the windows utility and this isn't just in vista, people have had issues using it in xp as well.

Toss3
05-22-08, 10:52 AM
I just use ez flash and put the rom file on my hdd :o

Dazz
05-22-08, 11:21 AM
I have been using their ASUS windows Update tool for many years and have never killed the BIOS. Must of done atleast 100 flashes with the tool since the Windows 98 days.

Buckeye
05-22-08, 11:34 AM
I used the windows update tool also many times before with np, until it goes bad, then you are in a world of trouble. I learned that day to not use that tool anymore.

grey_1
05-26-08, 10:18 AM
I used the windows update tool also many times before with np, until it goes bad, then you are in a world of trouble. I learned that day to not use that tool anymore.
Yep - and I just learned myself.

One each P5K SE dead. My cpu upgrade money now going for a motherboard. :(

Dazz
05-26-08, 11:31 AM
Just wondering are you guys downloading the latest version from their site before upgrading? I do might be why i havn't had any problems

Amuro
05-26-08, 12:06 PM
I have been using their ASUS windows Update tool for many years and have never killed the BIOS. Must of done atleast 100 flashes with the tool since the Windows 98 days.
Ez-flash is the safest way now. The Asus windows update tool used to be quite safe back in the P4 and Athlon 64 days, but up until 2 years ago, more and more people started experiencing issues with it.

$n][pErMan
05-26-08, 12:11 PM
I boot to my old XP Hard Drive and use the tool all the time to update my BIOS and no issues *knocks on wood* :) Make sure you have the latest version everytime you update and you should be fine. I wonder if people with issues somehow have permission issues or something....

grey_1
05-26-08, 02:33 PM
[pErMan']I boot to my old XP Hard Drive and use the tool all the time to update my BIOS and no issues *knocks on wood* :) Make sure you have the latest version everytime you update and you should be fine. I wonder if people with issues somehow have permission issues or something....
That's my thought. I even thought about booting into XP to flash it. LOL, hindsight is always 20/20.

David power
05-27-08, 06:25 AM
speak of the devil!

I did an update this weekend and something bad happened, I fixed the issue by popping the battery for a few min, I wont be using the OS based flash tool again! XD

I think you can just put the bios image on a memory stick and it will detect it and begin a flash, I think.....

grey_1
05-27-08, 08:31 AM
speak of the devil!

I did an update this weekend and something bad happened, I fixed the issue by popping the battery for a few min, I wont be using the OS based flash tool again! XD

I think you can just put the bios image on a memory stick and it will detect it and begin a flash, I think.....
I tried that too, Lol, never again. On the bright side, sounds like a good reason to upgrade. :)

David power
05-27-08, 09:23 AM
I tried that too, Lol, never again. On the bright side, sounds like a good reason to upgrade. :)

That sucks dude, sorry for your losses

_____
|R.I.P |
|mobo|
------------

Buckeye
05-27-08, 10:53 AM
Try...

Taking out the battery
Turn off PSU
Unplug PSU
Do the reset CMOS thing
Hit the computer power button a few times

Let the computer sit over night with no power of any kind

Next day
Do the reset CMOS thing
Install battery
Plug PSU back in
Turn on power button on PSU

Cross fingers
Hit computer power button

This worked for my Striker. Simply waiting 5-15 minutes would not do, it took an over night complete power down of the system.

grey_1
05-27-08, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - tried that too. LOl, no biggie - proud owner of a new P5E and E8400. :D

Can't wait to put this booger together. :D