PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield: Bad Company - 360 vs PS3 Version

Pages : [1] 2 3

Peoples-Agent
05-22-08, 02:40 PM
Well, it's nearly that time again. A big dual platform title is just around the corner and i'm scratching my head again.

The online beta was released for the 360 which gives me the impression that is the lead platform, but does anyone have any info as to whether the two versions are identical or not?

Don't want to buy one or the other and feel robbed in some way.

Achievements don't bother me in the slightest this time around, just more concerned about getting a decent game online.

Been playing GTA IV online for the PS3 recently and amazed at the lack of people with headsets, just feels so soul less and like it's missing something. Tend to get alot of banter on Xbox Live.

Is it likely to be different with this title, and any of you PS3 folks who have been playing COD4 online...do you get much team chit chat? (Or anyone who has played both 360 and PS3 versions, how do they compare?)

JigenD
05-22-08, 02:42 PM
It does seem the 360 version of BFBC is lead, and some people have noted tearing in the Gametrailers videos of the PS3 version. Odds are the 360 version of BFBC will be best.

Peoples-Agent
05-22-08, 02:45 PM
Ack! Doesn't sound too good.

Got a moral dilemma if that's the case. Buying my bro a PS3 for his birthday and said I would go for the PS3 version so we could play online together. Should have kept my mouth shut... lol

I can sense a double dip coming.

Marvel_us
05-22-08, 02:45 PM
I heard you have to buy weapsons or something like that in this game. Is that true?

I've also found that in the GTA games that I've played online people use headsets as well as CoD4. You get the occassional idiots but for the most part people work cooperatively.

MustangSVT
05-22-08, 02:55 PM
You should of bought your brother a 360 instead and you should ALWAYS get 360 version of a multiplatform game. i can't recall a single time that a game has been better on PS3 than the 360 version. Maybe many games that were just *as* good, but not *better*.

|MaguS|
05-22-08, 03:14 PM
You should of bought your brother a 360 instead and you should ALWAYS get 360 version of a multiplatform game. i can't recall a single time that a game has been better on PS3 than the 360 version. Maybe many games that were just *as* good, but not *better*.

Burnout Paradise, Devil May Cry 4 and Call of Duty 4 all are better on the PS3 some way or another. As well as GTA4 is considered better on the PS3 by most sites...

As for this game, wait till the demo gets released June 5. Then make your own decision. Since its EA they could have put enough effort on each side. Just to add, the PS3 was the lead platform for acouple of the last EA titles... those being Army of Two and Burnout Paradise.

HiCZoK4
05-22-08, 03:24 PM
as for game itself. It looks like rip off frontlines fuel of war which was very good.

But it looks alike the same

JigenD
05-22-08, 03:30 PM
Burnout Paradise, Devil May Cry 4 and Call of Duty 4 all are better on the PS3 some way or another. As well as GTA4 is considered better on the PS3 by most sites...

As for this game, wait till the demo gets released June 5. Then make your own decision. Since its EA they could have put enough effort on each side.

It depends on if you count every little feature. Burnout Paradise had less hitches on the PS3, but the 360 version for ingame soundtracks (still not patched into the PS3 version, right?) and online play that worked (probably just my router). DMC4 may have had more 'natural' controls on the PS3, better AF, and unlocked framerate in cutscenes that fluctuated more (higher highs and lower lows), 360 version had better AA (the PS3's temporal AA caused nasty blurring artifacts). COD4 on the 360 version clearly had better textures, there weren't many differences other than that.

GTA4 is a similar situation. Higher resolution on 360 (which may not be very noticeable, but if you have the exact same thing on both games and one is higher resolution, obviously that's better), PS3 had the install but supposedly had better LOD, PS3 version had the online not work right for a few days and supposedly has more crashing problems (offline and on). Otherwise, once again the same.

Now the cases of games being better in every way on 360 : The Darkness (better image quality and textures), Lost Planet (framerate, textures, shaders... nearly everything), The Club (image quality mostly), Orange Box (framerate, although I've never seen if the PS3 version had the added features that PC gamers like to ignore)...

Don't take this as 'dissing' the PS3, I like the system, but the truth is the truth.

|MaguS|
05-22-08, 03:44 PM
It depends on if you count every little feature. Burnout Paradise had less hitches on the PS3, but the 360 version for ingame soundtracks (still not patched into the PS3 version, right?) and online play that worked (probably just my router). DMC4 may have had more 'natural' controls on the PS3, better AF, and unlocked framerate in cutscenes that fluctuated more (higher highs and lower lows), 360 version had better AA (the PS3's temporal AA caused nasty blurring artifacts). COD4 on the 360 version clearly had better textures, there weren't many differences other than that.

The Blur in DMC4 was suppose to be there... its the X360 thats lacking the blur. If you have ever played a DMC game you would know that its a staple of the series. Burnout Online worked flawless for me, and custom soundtracks are missing in the PS3 version right now (incoming on a patch) but thats up to the player if its a feature that they would care about.

GTA4 is a similar situation. Higher resolution on 360 (which may not be very noticeable, but if you have the exact same thing on both games and one is higher resolution, obviously that's better), PS3 had the install but supposedly had better LOD, PS3 version had the online not work right for a few days and supposedly has more crashing problems (offline and on). Otherwise, once again the same.

Crashing and Freezing is a problem on both consoles, the PS3 is just far more common. As for the resolution yes the PS3 is nativily lower but it also has better AA and less pop in then the X360 version. It also has a faster load time then the X360 version. Many report (review sites) that the PS3 has a better framerate aswell but I cannont really say since I only played the PS3 version.

Now the cases of games being better in every way on 360 : The Darkness (better image quality and textures), Lost Planet (framerate, textures, shaders... nearly everything), The Club (image quality mostly), Orange Box (framerate, although I've never seen if the PS3 version had the added features that PC gamers like to ignore)...

The Darkness looks the same on bother platforms. I had both when I had both consoles, the problem was that the PS3 version's brightness was high by default. Lower it and it looked identical. As for Lost Planet... yeah that game was horrid on the PS3... no excuse there.

Don't care about the Club, never played it heard it was an ass of a game. HL2 the X360 had a bette framerate but the PS3 version had better AA though. It had all the extra features that the X360 was given.

Don't take this as 'dissing' the PS3, I like the system, but the truth is the truth.
The last two major EA titles (Burnout and Army of Two) the PS3 was the lead platform so im just saying that the PS3 could be the lead system for this game since it looks like its the trend now.

Peoples-Agent
05-22-08, 04:30 PM
The last two major EA titles (Burnout and Army of Two) the PS3 was the lead platform so im just saying that the PS3 could be the lead system for this game since it looks like its the trend now.

So why did they choose the 360 for the public beta, and does this mean PS3 owners are more likely to have more bug issues for online play?

These are the sorts of questions DICE and EA have dodged so far.

JigenD
05-22-08, 04:48 PM
The Blur in DMC4 was suppose to be there... its the X360 thats lacking the blur. If you have ever played a DMC game you would know that its a staple of the series.

It's not. There's motion blur, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's called temporal AA because the PS3 couldn't do the MSAA of the 360 version I guess. Either way it makes things look bad.

Crashing and Freezing is a problem on both consoles, the PS3 is just far more common. As for the resolution yes the PS3 is nativily lower but it also has better AA and less pop in then the X360 version. It also has a faster load time then the X360 version. Many report (review sites) that the PS3 has a better framerate aswell but I cannont really say since I only played the PS3 version.

I've had one crash on my 360, but some people just have broken 360s and PS3s for that matter. GTA4 is one of the games I haven't compared side by side because there's no demos. With DMC4, Burnout, The Darkness, The Club, Lost Planet and some others I downloaded both demos either to decide or just to see the diffs.

Don't care about the Club, never played it heard it was an ass of a game. HL2 the X360 had a bette framerate but the PS3 version had better AA though. It had all the extra features that the X360 was given.

Well the controls felt really wrong on the PS3 controller, and at first after I got the 360 one I didn't play it much at all, but recently I've been playing it just because I've been in the mood for it.

|MaguS|
05-22-08, 04:50 PM
So why did they choose the 360 for the public beta, and does this mean PS3 owners are more likely to have more bug issues for online play?

These are the sorts of questions DICE and EA have dodged so far.
Might be a deal they brokered with MS. Maybe its the same reason as to why SF2HD will have an XBLive only beta aswell which is because XBLive is alot easier to implement in a short amount of time and will offer more feedback then the PSN Network in a shorter time.

As for bug issues, that depends on DICE. I mean there are plenty of games on the PSN that are flawless online without any hitches...

MustangSVT
05-22-08, 08:01 PM

As for this game, wait till the demo gets released June 5. Then make your own decision. Since its EA they could have put enough effort on each side. Just to add, the PS3 was the lead platform for acouple of the last EA titles... those being Army of Two and Burnout Paradise.
How exactly is CoD4 and GTA4 better on PS3? Isn't GTA4 the one that is lower res than 720p and also needs installation and also has been having issues with working at all? So how can you claim it's better?

And apparently CoD4 has some minor graphical improvements, but I would take the convenience of Xbox Live and basically guaranteed to play against everyone with headsets on the 360 anyday over a very tiny graphical improvement.

|MaguS|
05-22-08, 11:11 PM
How exactly is CoD4 and GTA4 better on PS3? Isn't GTA4 the one that is lower res than 720p and also needs installation and also has been having issues with working at all? So how can you claim it's better?

And apparently CoD4 has some minor graphical improvements, but I would take the convenience of Xbox Live and basically guaranteed to play against everyone with headsets on the 360 anyday over a very tiny graphical improvement.
Even though GTA4 runs at a lower resolution on the PS3 it has better AA, lacks the drawin issue of the X360 aswell as has a better framerate (apparently you can't read since I mentioned this all in the post above). The installation is there to improve the games loading over the X360 version. As for issues working, both consoles suffer from stability issues... the PS3's is just more common. I for one though have yet to have any freezing or crashing with the game and I have a 60GB unit which is rumored to have the most problems with it.

As for COD4, you mentioned it yourself... it has graphical improvements. Yeah you get achievements, whoopie ****ing do. I didn't care about them when I had an X360 and I don't care about them now. As for having a Headset... wonderful I can hear all the 13 yr olds spouting curse words while their mommies are sleeping. People use headsets on the PS3, I use one all the time when I play Warhawk...

3DBrad
05-23-08, 04:24 AM
After playing several games on the PS3 and 360 (like GRAW 2), I notice the framerate is usually better on the 360.

Play the demo of GRAW2 on the PS3 and compare it to the same area on the 360 and you'll see what I mean.

And by the way, I love GRAW 2, just bought it for the 360. :D

Another example is try Tony Hawk's latest game. On the PS3 it was sometimes laggy, on the 360, its quite a constant framerate. :)

Peoples-Agent
05-23-08, 07:21 AM
These were previous games that had these issues but i'm lead to believe they have finally got to grips with the PS3 and releasing games on a parr.

My main worry is whether they keep it up for BC.

3DBrad
05-23-08, 08:13 AM
These were previous games that had these issues but i'm lead to believe they have finally got to grips with the PS3 and releasing games on a parr.

My main worry is whether they keep it up for BC.

Well, the PS3 OS still takes up what, 90mb of space of system RAM, so the PS3 is still terribly limited with memory.

Thankfully J. Allard, Epic Games, and a few other wise devs got Microsoft to put as much memory in their system as they did.

|MaguS|
05-23-08, 09:22 AM
Well, the PS3 OS still takes up what, 90mb of space of system RAM, so the PS3 is still terribly limited with memory.

Thankfully J. Allard, Epic Games, and a few other wise devs got Microsoft to put as much memory in their system as they did.
The OS Footprint was lowered in recent firmware patches to around 40MB or so. The PS3 has the same amount of total RAM then that of the X360. The XMB menu is also alot quicker the navigate and has better responsive feeling then the dashboard.

tornadog
05-23-08, 10:15 AM
this game deserved to be on the pc, f**k u EA!!!

Reynaldo
05-23-08, 12:33 PM
What is improved on the PS3 version of COD4 over the XBO360 one? I have seen comparison shots and the 360 version has always looked better, so I wonder what have I missed?

Peoples-Agent
05-23-08, 01:23 PM
this game deserved to be on the pc, f**k u EA!!!

Battlefield 3 will be the next big PC version and i'd bet ya it has the damage system of Bad Company and Frostbite engine.

So don't feel too left out, it's just a stepping stone.

Peoples-Agent
06-05-08, 07:46 AM
Well, just played the 360 demo and i'm very impressed with how it handles it.

I set it to 1080p on the dash, although it doesn't run in that res it still looks sharper and the jaggies are less noticeable.

Frame rate is suprisingly good considering the amount of explosions that can be going on around you at once.

This game is all about blowing everything up, with shooting a secondary factor.

Loving it so far, will let you know what I find with the PS3 demo too, got it downloading.

NarcissistZero
06-05-08, 08:02 AM
Even though GTA4 runs at a lower resolution on the PS3 it has better AA, lacks the drawin issue of the X360 aswell as has a better framerate (apparently you can't read since I mentioned this all in the post above). The installation is there to improve the games loading over the X360 version. As for issues working, both consoles suffer from stability issues... the PS3's is just more common. I for one though have yet to have any freezing or crashing with the game and I have a 60GB unit which is rumored to have the most problems with it.

What the hell graphical advantages did CoD4 have on PS3? They look identical according to EVERY review and EVERY comparison.

And DMC4's blur on PS3 looked terrible. I actually got it for PS3 because of the better controller for that kind of game, but make no mistake... the blur looks like ass. And of course I actually found out the controls can be remapped, and I could change RB to RT on the 360 for lock-on, which makes the 360 the clear favorite.

GTA4 is a judgement call... there's no demo, so I can't say for sure, but I have heard many say the higher res and better color of the 360 makes it the winner, just as some say the higher AA and such makes the PS3 the winner. I went 360 for the downloadable episodes and don't regret it.

Ahem..

Anyway, all that said, Battlefield BC sounds to be better on the 360, and 360 has the better FPS controller, so I will get it on that (if I get it).

Peoples-Agent
06-05-08, 08:27 AM
Well folks, here is my verdict.

The PS3 version has more tearing and choppy on the cut scenes, colours aren't as vibrant... looks a bit washed out, although not too bad after I enabled the Bravia Live Colour.

The textures also didn't look asgood as the 360 version too, but I think that is more down to the dimmer colours than anything else.

There isn't too much between them though in all honesty, whatever one you get your be happy .

I'll be getting it for the 360.

NarcissistZero
06-05-08, 09:11 AM
Finally played the game demo and I don't want it for either console. :(