PDA

View Full Version : Gainward's GeForce FX 5600 Ultra!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kev1
05-06-03, 08:25 PM
This looks like a great video card for gamers like me without $300 or $400 dollars to spend. Its going to have either 128 megs or 256 megs of DDR memory running at 700 mhz. I think it would be good upgrade from my GF3 which still does excellently :thumbsup:

Hopefully the Gainward 5600 Ultra will be out in a few weeks. I'd like to get the 256 meg version, but kinda depends on money. Not sure if 256 megs is worth it really but who knows. Here is link of some pics of I think the 256 meg version:

http://news.hwupgrade.it/9568.html

Kev1
05-06-03, 08:41 PM
My video cards: TNT, GF2 GTS, GF3 Ti200. Maybe not perfect but they played all my games well.

I think the 5600 Ultra has to be better than my GF3 Ti200. I may wait for the NV36 version of the 5600 Ultra, not sure. I have thought about trying ATI but have as yet not really wanted to because of how well all my games have played on my Nvidia cards in the past (And Present). The 9500 Pro and 9600 Pro do look like great cards tho.

Longest I think I can hold out to upgrade is Xmas. By then I would have had my GF3 Ti200 2 yrs. I am still probably going with Nvidia. We'll see :hug:

solofly
05-06-03, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Kev1
My video cards: TNT, GF2 GTS, GF3 Ti200. Maybe not perfect but they played all my games well.

I think the 5600 Ultra has to be better than my GF3 Ti200. I may wait for the NV36 version of the 5600 Ultra, not sure. I have thought about trying ATI but have as yet not really wanted to because of how well all my games have played on my Nvidia cards in the past (And Present). The 9500 Pro and 9600 Pro do look like great cards tho.

Longest I think I can hold out to upgrade is Xmas. By then I would have had my GF3 Ti200 2 yrs. I am still probably going with Nvidia. We'll see :hug:

Hey Kev,
First of all don't bother with any Ati fanboys running around here. Second, you waited so long already, why not wait till June or July. Hopefully NV35 will be ready for sale dropping the prices of other NVFX cards. You definitely won't have to wait till Christmas, just a couple months more. ;) Not to mention drivers will also be polished out further...

quik_2_win
05-06-03, 08:59 PM
I see those college boys over at [H] are still pushing that IQ rubbish...did anyone notice that with the 5600 you get extra health!

RobHague
05-06-03, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by quik_2_win
I see those college boys over at [H] are still pushing that IQ rubbish...did anyone notice that with the 5600 you get extra health!

:lol2: Indeed. So there you go kids - less health with the ATI. ;)

Rogozhin
05-06-03, 09:51 PM
Those screen at [H] that show splinter cell are eye openers.

get yourself a 9500 pro.

rogo

eagle17
05-06-03, 10:08 PM
well I am pro ATI but that is just because they have always been cheaper... now ati has great products and only the most diehard NV-users will agree. The fact of the matter if you wait for the nv35 to drop the price of the 5600 ultra you could probably get the 9700 (standard) for the same price and while the performance difference of the 5600 ultra and 9500pro might be little, the difference between the 9700gold and the 5600 ultra is much larger.. as far as features you will see differences in both, it just depends on the games... many devopers are putting faith back into ati though, and nvidia is taking a gamble on CG. If CG does not get used than nvidia will have to keep up the race on straight performance. And it should be remembered that nvidia is trying to get developers to use code optimized to their own hardware instead of just trying to write the best drivers for DX or OGL.

saturnotaku
05-06-03, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
Those screen at [H] that show splinter cell are eye openers.

Those screens at [H] are from old GF FX drivers and those issues are reportedly fixed with the WHQL 43.51 set. In any case, I would probably still say get a 9500 Pro or even a 9700 non-Pro. Most people don't talk about that latter card, but I think it was definitely the sleeper card from last year. Just look at DaveWs signature to see how much performance he was able to eek out of his 9700 NP.

And about CG - it's not NVIDIA's attempt to become the Microsoft of the 3D world. All the tools are there for anyone (even ATI) to look at and use at their discretion. From the CG FAQ:

The Cg Language Specification is published and open in the sense that other vendors may implement products based on it. To encourage this, NVIDIA open sourced the Cg Compiler technology under a nonrestrictive, free license.

Chalnoth
05-07-03, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by CoWBoY
Your gonna try to tell me that Nvidia is being completely honest about CG? That they are sharing all the information with the public about it because they have been so forthcoming with the truth about NV30, NV31, NV34, DX9 compliance... yadda yadda yadda.
What's not to be honest about?

Cg was designed, clearly, because it was deemed that it would be too hard to develop good assembly for the NV3x architecture. This was the essence of the reason that nVidia gave.

Of course, now it is even more clear exactly how quirky the NV3x architecture is, and thus how good it is that nVidia put out Cg. Without it, the architecture would be a total beast to program for.

Keep in mind that this "quirkiness" is not necessarily a bad thing.

Spotch
05-07-03, 01:25 AM
I still cant imagine why anyone would buy a 5200 or a 5600? These cards bring zero to the table. DX9 yeah right not on a 5600 and you can barely get playable framerates in even a DX8 game on a 5200. These cards are specifically designed to rip off people by using the FX naming scheme.... 200 bucks for a 5600? Ouch! They do not support many DX 9 features in hardware and they package all the shortcomings in PS 2.0 performance that the 5800 demonstrates. Save your money and pick up some 6 month upgraders old Ti4200 from e-bay or the "For Sale" forums. These new "mainstream" cards from NV are for the birds IMO.

flick556
05-07-03, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Kev1
This looks like a great video card for gamers like me without $300 or $400 dollars to spend. Its going to have either 128 megs or 256 megs of DDR memory running at 700 mhz. I think it would be good upgrade from my GF3 which still does excellently :thumbsup:

Hopefully the Gainward 5600 Ultra will be out in a few weeks. I'd like to get the 256 meg version, but kinda depends on money. Not sure if 256 megs is worth it really but who knows. Here is link of some pics of I think the 256 meg version:

http://news.hwupgrade.it/9568.html

how do those prices convert to u.s. dollors

P.s. I will be buying one of these cards, if I can find 5600 ultra golden sample 700 mhrz mem for 250$ If not I will buy regular 5600 ultra. I can't wait to someone reviews one of the things with some benchmarks.

Darth Rancid
05-07-03, 03:36 AM
Some people bought the Rage Pro back in its days too.. I can't imagine why though. :rolleyes:

Then, some people went ahead an bought the Rage Fury, and later on the Rage Fury MAXX as well :rolleyes:

Even the 8500 which had a rather bad launch found a whole buch of customers...

If people hadn't comitted those acts of folly, we wouldn't have the glorious R300 core to play with today... and that would be a shame.

Spotch
05-07-03, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rancid
Some people bought the Rage Pro back in its days too.. I can't imagine why though. :rolleyes:

Then, some people went ahead an bought the Rage Fury, and later on the Rage Fury MAXX as well :rolleyes:

If people hadn't comitted those acts of folly, we wouldn't have the glorious R300 core to play with today... and that would be a shame.

Hey my AIW Pro boasted 8MB of Memory and had a built in tv tuner. Plus it would actually play Quake 3... Sortof :eek2:

Let me see here... what you are trying to say is that this guy should buy one of these cards to line NVIDIA's pockets so that their future products have a better chance of actually being worth the money? I am not sure that this is the type of advice he/she is looking for. :nutkick:

Wanna buy an old AIW Pro? It has this really cool TV desk top feature!!! And you can capture video in the proprietary ATI VCR format!!! Come on you dont want the R400 to be a POS now do you???

:D

Darth Rancid
05-07-03, 05:03 AM
Well... no.. I don't want anyone to go and buy a fx5200 just to keep nVidia alive... but people will do it regardless...

As far as kev1's case goes... I'd recommend the R9500Pro or R9700.. as most people seem to do. :cool:

Geforce4ti4200
05-07-03, 06:35 AM
I will not give Nvidia my hard earned money "just because" you can get a radeon9500 pro for alot less and its so much faster than the fx5600 ultra, heck a ti4200 is faster without fsaa

Chalnoth
05-07-03, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
I will not give Nvidia my hard earned money "just because" you can get a radeon9500 pro for alot less and its so much faster than the fx5600 ultra, heck a ti4200 is faster without fsaa
What's the point of playing without FSAA?

vampireuk
05-07-03, 08:12 AM
Like I said before in a post... despite all the failures brought into the open on the latest Nvidia products, there is always someone there to buy it.

:rolleyes: sad...

Do shut up, just go on shut up. People will buy what they like, and when they wish to talk about what they buy, they will not be confronted by a complete nerd who's sole puprose on this board is to post a picture of a [h] screenshot and :rolleyes:

If you have nothing to post but criticism do not post at all.

Martrox
05-07-03, 11:12 AM
Um........ I don't think the Ultra will make THAT much difference.....

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q2/geforcefx-5600/index.x?pg=1

Performance-wise, the Radeon 9500 and 9600 Pro lay down a beating on the GeForce FX 5600, even when the latter is equipped with 256MB of memory. As far as features go, there are few practical ways that the Radeons are really lacking. The Radeon 9500 and 9600 Pro only support pixel shader programs up to 64 instructions in length (which is the limit of the pixel shader 2.0 specification), and they only offer 96-bit pixel shader precision rather than the 128-bit precision available to the GeForce FX 5600. However, those "onlys" have very little practical value. After all, it will be some time before games and applications start taking advantage of pixel and vertex shader versions 2.0 with regularly, and the 3DMark03 image quality tests suggest that the GeForce FX 5600 doesn't have the horsepower to take full advantage of the extra pixel shader precision it has available.

Unit01
05-07-03, 11:41 AM
if you want a nvidia product i'd recommend a cheap ti4400 at the moment or 170$ FX5600ultra if that's possible.
But burning 250$ on a FX5600ultra that's just ...... well i aint gonna ge the one to say it

Kev1
05-07-03, 11:59 AM
Maybe its best to wait for NV36, I don't know. But honestly I think the GFFX 5600 Ultra will be a better video card than some people here think :rolleyes:

And at $250 dollars its too expensive, but at something less than $200 it looks much better :thumbsup:

Hey, at least it's not green :D

saturnotaku
05-07-03, 12:06 PM
This isn't rocket science, it comes down to values. Telling someone, "Yes, get it... it's the best *wink*" knowing the product suffers from problems is terrible.

I don't think there has been a single GF FX owner in this forum who has said this. I certainly haven't. Reading reviews are one thing, another part is talking to people who actually have experience with a product. You can't completely discount owner experience. Some people will say the FX is the best card they've used, and what's wrong with that?

You're right when you say people have to draw their own conclusion. And if they conclude that the GF FX is the right card for them, that should be all that matters.

Some people bought the Rage Pro back in its days too.. I can't imagine why though.

Then, some people went ahead an bought the Rage Fury, and later on the Rage Fury MAXX as well

I agree 100%. It works the same way on both camps.

StealthHawk
05-07-03, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I don't think there has been a single GF FX owner in this forum who has said this. I certainly haven't. Reading reviews are one thing, another part is talking to people who actually have experience with a product. You can't completely discount owner experience. Some people will say the FX is the best card they've used, and what's wrong with that?

There is somewhat of a logical pitfall here. First off, I believe that everyone knows some of the shortcomings of a gfFX5800Ultra, for example. The loud fan, the two slots, etc.

Those people still bought the card, while knowing the drawbacks, of course they will be happy.

There are also people who may be unaware of some of the other drawbacks that the whole gfFX family has had.

The bottom line is that experience is not forthcoming. For example, I doubt many people who wouldn't like a gfFX of any kind would buy one in the first place. It is either the people who are happy with the card regardless, or still don't know about some of the weaknesses of the card.

There have been several people in this forum who wound up with a gfFX5200 and didn't like it.

solofly
05-07-03, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Do shut up, just go on shut up. People will buy what they like, and when they wish to talk about what they buy, they will not be confronted by a complete nerd who's sole puprose on this board is to post a picture of a [h] screenshot and :rolleyes:

If you have nothing to post but criticism do not post at all.

You guys should do what I do and don't bother at all with what Ati fanboys have to say around here. Waste of time with the same old... They simply donít exist to me therefore I donít and wonít reply or care. Take my advise and you'll live longer.;)

saturnotaku
05-07-03, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
It is either the people who are happy with the card regardless, or still don't know about some of the weaknesses of the card.

And for the latter group of people, they are the ones who would need to spend some time researching the product in question. Buying a $200 video card should be no different than buying a $20,000 car or $200,000 house. You don't (or at least shouldn't) buy the first one you see. You read reports, take test drives, ask questions, etc.

Those people who are the hardcore people, the ones who would be spending $400 on a card, I would think 99% of them are aware of the shortfalls of the FX. I may be in the minority here when I say I bought mine for the novelty value. I would hope when I end up selling mine, someone else will buy it for the same reasons I did - and I'll be sure to explicitly state that should I post the card on ebay.

solofly
05-07-03, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
And for the latter group of people, they are the ones who would need to spend some time researching the product in question. Buying a $200 video card should be no different than buying a $20,000 car or $200,000 house. You don't (or at least shouldn't) buy the first one you see. You read reports, take test drives, ask questions, etc.

Those people who are the hardcore people, the ones who would be spending $400 on a card, I would think 99% of them are aware of the shortfalls of the FX. I may be in the minority here when I say I bought mine for the novelty value. I would hope when I end up selling mine, someone else will buy it for the same reasons I did - and I'll be sure to explicitly state that should I post the card on ebay.

Exactly! We already know GFX is hot and loud and this and that, enough! Drop the subject people! Sound like a broken record that never ends. You want to trash nVidia do it somewhere else like rage3d.com where we donít have to see the nonsense . If the guy wants to go left, don't tell him to go right and brainwash him.