PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Vga

EciDemon
05-23-08, 02:35 AM
Im thinking of picking up a PS3 next week, gonna be sweet!

With no good sdtv and no hdtv I plan to connect the console to my 22" lcd monitor just like the 360. Im fairly sure my monitor dont support hdcp via dvi so I cant use hdmi>dvi :headexplode:

but ive seen VGA cables for the ps3.

So i was thinking,, anyone know if this one would work ?:

http://www.ps2modchip.com/search.php?page=dvdx
http://www.ps2modchip.com/blaze-vga.jpg

I have one of those for my PS2, when using it with the ps2 a boot cd is reqired to force interlaced games to work in progressive scan, games with builtin progressive scan dont need the cd.
So the cable dont change the signal in any way so it's not a doubblescan converter, just pure rgb vga

if that fails i do have a component to vga converter (works good with the 360) but total cable length im not happy with as you loose a tad bit of quallity, i think it should also work.

What do you guys think ?

EDIT: Oups this was suposed to have been posted in the console section, could a mod please move the thread ?

Bman212121
05-23-08, 07:42 AM
You only need HDCP for playing BR movies at resolutions higher than 480p. All of the games on the PS3 are going to be progressive scan so you won't need to worry about that. A DVI -> HDMI cable should work fine for gameplay.

That converter won't do you any good because it will downscale your image and it doesn't support HDCP so your not gaining anything by using it.

EciDemon
05-26-08, 04:30 AM
Thanks for info, im worried that HDCP affects everything not just blue ray movies. If thats the case, then im screwd i think.

Another question, the HDCP protection, does it affect both video outs on the ps3 ?
(ie hdmi and the normal analoge connector (where you put component cable))

the component to vga converter dont rescale the image though, it just rearrange the signal to work as vga from component source (i used it with the old xbox, and with the 360 before i got an official vga cable for it)

LurkerLito
05-26-08, 10:14 AM
HDCP only really affects the HDMI port. But due to licensing restrictions, BR movies if flagged to do so will not allow you to output more than 480p on the component output. Similarly it will not upscale standard DVD video to higher resolutions above 480p except via the HDMI output.

|MaguS|
05-26-08, 10:42 AM
I had an x2vga and it worked great!

EciDemon
05-27-08, 02:01 AM
Then it's all good, I intend to use the console for games, not br movies :)
x2vga seems nice, must be simalar to the component>vga converter i have, but mine dont look as good.

Bman212121
05-27-08, 10:10 AM
Thanks for info, im worried that HDCP affects everything not just blue ray movies. If thats the case, then im screwd i think.

Another question, the HDCP protection, does it affect both video outs on the ps3 ?
(ie hdmi and the normal analoge connector (where you put component cable))

the component to vga converter dont rescale the image though, it just rearrange the signal to work as vga from component source (i used it with the old xbox, and with the 360 before i got an official vga cable for it)

Component cannot do HDCP, but you only need HDCP for BR movies. For playing games you do not need HDCP which is why you can use component inputs at up to 1080p.

EciDemon
05-29-08, 02:59 AM
Update:

Bought the ps3 yesterday along with Uncharted and Heavanly Sword :D
Nice games i must say!

either way, component>vga adaptor works well, i get slight ghosting, that must be due to low quality thirdparty component cable i curently use (one of those all in one cable).

The Blaze vga works too, but screen is green, I suspected as much.
Problem is, for the vga to work on the flat screen, the image _must_ be progressive scan (same with the component>vga), and only component out offers highres besides the HDMI option with progressive scan. And component settings makes the screen green... unless ive missed something.

I dont like to play around with it too much, as I have thrown away my old sdtv. So i cant view if source signal is interlaced.

Now to wait for Mgs4...