PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card for X360

kev13dd
05-23-08, 04:58 AM
So I bought a soundcard a week before I decided to buy a Xbox360 and didn't get one with digital-in for 5.1 surround sound from the Xbox

So a year later I've decided to get one. Only problem is, not that many cards have digital in, and some that do won't work with the Xbox360 (or so the reviews say)

Does anyone know of a nice sound card (money no issue) that will give me what I want? The only one I can think of is maybe Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty which isn't yet released so I can't be sure

I know not that many people visit this section of the forums so it's probably a stretch, but worth a shot! Help appreciated

K

CaptNKILL
05-23-08, 08:02 AM
A sound card... for an Xbox?

Wolfhound
05-23-08, 08:14 AM
So I bought a soundcard a week before I decided to buy a Xbox360 and didn't get one with digital-in for 5.1 surround sound from the Xbox

So a year later I've decided to get one. Only problem is, not that many cards have digital in, and some that do won't work with the Xbox360 (or so the reviews say)

Does anyone know of a nice sound card (money no issue) that will give me what I want? The only one I can think of is maybe Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty which isn't yet released so I can't be sure

I know not that many people visit this section of the forums so it's probably a stretch, but worth a shot! Help appreciated

K

I don't understand... souncard for Xbox360 :wtf:

Toss3
05-23-08, 08:32 AM
I think he wants to use his pc speakers with his xbox360, and therefore needs a card that has a digital input. :)

The Auzentech Prelude should provide you with every feature you might want.

crainger
05-23-08, 08:34 AM
I think what he wants to do is take the DD 5.1 from the 360 and have a soundcard decode it and play it through analogue. I know of cards with digital in, but none that will decode any old input on the fly. Usually they only decode media ON the PC.

Toss3 beat me to it. Although I think the Prelude only encodes to digital. I don't think it will decode DD being input.

EciDemon
05-23-08, 08:55 AM
it will work with the Xfi card with either frontbay or the external box.

Asuming you want surround from your 360 to analoge surround speaker setup.
(PC acting as surround decoder)

I did try to imput via spdif from my 360 (to record some game music) ... dunno why but it sounded very weird ... left channel was very low compared to right, and it sounded mono too... very fishy.
Balance and sound is ok when outputing directly to my HK Reciver though so it might be something wrong with my card, or frontbay...

Toss3
05-23-08, 09:05 AM
I think what he wants to do is take the DD 5.1 from the 360 and have a soundcard decode it and play it through analogue. I know of cards with digital in, but none that will decode any old input on the fly. Usually they only decode media ON the PC.

Toss3 beat me to it. Although I think the Prelude only encodes to digital. I don't think it will decode DD being input.
Hmm how about the Asus Xonar D2X then? :)

EDIT: Found this (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=994454) old thread

CaptNKILL
05-23-08, 09:16 AM
I think he wants to use his pc speakers with his xbox360, and therefore needs a card that has a digital input. :)

The Auzentech Prelude should provide you with every feature you might want.
Oh I see.

HiCZoK4
05-23-08, 12:00 PM
He want sound card with optical output

kev13dd
05-23-08, 01:53 PM
He want sound card with optical output
Optical INPUT actually

And one that can decode on the fly and output over analog, crainger had it right

My only problem is I already have a $150 sound card, so buying another and then having it NOT work would be a giant waste of money, because almost anything the others can do (besides optical digital decoding) would be things I already have. So before I buy I want to be SURE that it works

I'm beginning to think new speakers might be the way to go, but then again, I have perfectly nice speakers already as well. No matter what I'm going to have to replace something, I just want to make sure that whatever I replace works the way I want it to

K

crainger
05-23-08, 05:50 PM
I'd go with a set of Logitech 5500s or the next model down with a hardware decoder. I just a set on my PS3 and 360 and they work great. ::D: