PDA

View Full Version : Programming on the Xbox360?

Tuork
05-24-08, 03:08 PM
I was thinking... current consoles are pretty much a computer (well, at least the 360).

I know that they haven't "hacked" them per say yet, but couldn't it be possible to program different types of applications on C# using the XNA framework?

Just a thought...

3DBrad
05-24-08, 03:16 PM
Yes, you can make your own little game with XNA, and perhaps it'll turn into a retail product. :)

Check out Microsoft's TGS keynot (I think it was), or maybe it was GDC, they discussed it a good bit.

Tuork
05-24-08, 06:05 PM
I think I didn't make myself clear.

I know I can make games with XNA... as a matter of fact I'm working on one right now. My question is whether I can run other types of programs on the X360.

Peoples-Agent
05-24-08, 06:21 PM
Never know until you try I guess.

|MaguS|
05-24-08, 06:46 PM
I think I didn't make myself clear.

I know I can make games with XNA... as a matter of fact I'm working on one right now. My question is whether I can run other types of programs on the X360.

I believe all the software has to be approved by MS before it actually can run on the X360. I don't think its like a DevKit where you can just transfer the files on your own to run on the console.

JigenD
05-24-08, 09:10 PM
I was thinking... current consoles are pretty much a computer (well, at least the 360).

I know that they haven't "hacked" them per say yet, but couldn't it be possible to program different types of applications on C# using the XNA framework?

Just a thought...

Every console ever was a computer.

I don't know how open XNA is. It's a good question, could you write an emulator that could open ROMs? Could you write a DIVX player? Could you make a word processor? I'd like to know too.

kev13dd
05-24-08, 09:45 PM
I believe all the software has to be approved by MS before it actually can run on the X360. I don't think its like a DevKit where you can just transfer the files on your own to run on the console.
Isn't that how you can develop XNA games in the first place? I'm in the XNA creators club and we can deploy XNA builds onto our X360 before we ever submit it to Microsoft for approval of distribution over Live

Or are you talking about non XNA stuff

K

Greg
05-25-08, 01:21 AM
Yes you can make a non-game but you will be limited in what kinds of I/O you can perform. You won't have free access to disk drive or network. You won't be able to distribute your program to others.

As a previous poster said, all consoles that ever existed were computers. The PS2 even had a mouse, keyboard and printer as sony sanctioned periferals! The PS2 and PS3 have more open programability to my knowledge.

Having said all that, a Intel Q6600 CPU + 1gm RAM + Geforce 8 series is very cheap and faster than both XBox360 and PS3 in practical performance. Happy coding!

LycosV
05-25-08, 03:12 AM
You could make any kind of program you wanted, but as Greg said you won't be able to distribute your program to anyone else if it violates Microsoft's sensibilities.

3DBrad
05-25-08, 01:22 PM
There's not much you can do, but check out www.xbox-scene.com on what people are working on.

Tuork
05-25-08, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
I'll keep poking at it.

Lyme
05-26-08, 02:22 AM
While it is true that you will not be able to distribute a application if MS disproves, that goes the same for games developed for the system.

Greg, however is a little misleading. Using XNA to develop your application for the 360 gives you the ability to access all the same resources that are available to games under XNA. Simply put, you have networking and storage access.

The xna creators club is a great place for information http://creators.xna.com/