PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot - 360 and PS3 Comparison Feature Update

Peoples-Agent
05-25-08, 05:00 AM
A new comparsion game guide for multi-platform titles, makes for good reading.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6191251/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs&tag=gumballs;subtitle;1

This appears to be an old article that they have added more games onto it, such as RB6 Vegas 2, Pro Street, GTA IV etc

Ninja Prime
05-25-08, 05:41 AM
A new comparsion game guide for multi-platform titles, makes for good reading.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6191251/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs&tag=gumballs;subtitle;1

This appears to be an old article that they have added more games onto it, such as RB6 Vegas 2, Pro Street, GTA IV etc

Damn, I've never seen them directly overlayed like that, nice find. Pretty much all of them look like 360 is better to me. Most seems to be shadows/displacement maps/bump maps and HDR differences. Although one major thing I notice, is just about every PS3 shot looks blurrier, either lower res or AA or something.

firehawk
05-25-08, 05:51 AM
interesting that the solider doesn't have a hood in the ps3 ver of cod 4.

npras42
05-25-08, 06:29 AM
I agree that the PS3 mostly looks inferior to the 360 from those shots, and I can't dismiss it as an unfair test but its not complete either.

Comparing cross-platform games is not the best or rather the only way to compare PS3 and 360 games. I don't think I'm totally biased as I have owned a 360 much longer than a PS3 (and greatly enjoyed games on both - fewer on PS3), but I still think that Uncharted looks quite some way superior to anything yet seen on the 360, so I don't see what this article proves other than its easier to make games look good on the 360 than PS3.

Peoples-Agent
05-25-08, 07:07 AM
I agree that the PS3 mostly looks inferior to the 360 from those shots, and I can't dismiss it as an unfair test but its not complete either.

Comparing cross-platform games is not the best or rather the only way to compare PS3 and 360 games. I don't think I'm totally biased as I have owned a 360 much longer than a PS3 (and greatly enjoyed games on both - fewer on PS3), but I still think that Uncharted looks quite some way superior to anything yet seen on the 360, so I don't see what this article proves other than its easier to make games look good on the 360 than PS3.

Uncharted is the top dog, no doubt about it but the main point here is the lack of care being shown by devs in multi-platform titles.

Isn't there any way Sony can stamp down some sort of authority on this mess?

If it was on the other foot Microsoft would be having kittens going ape.

I want to get a nice tidy PS3 games collection but everytime I goto pre-order a multi-platform title i'm constantly second guessing myself.

The biggest issue is that when you pre-order games you usually get some sort of freebie or additional points when buying from Game which over a year can add up to quite a bit of free stuff, comparisons and reviews have been getting later and later and usually too late by the time my order is being processed.

I am slightly geared towards the 360 for the reasons above, but in all honesty having played Uncharted and some GT5 you can see the potential this machine has and it's kinda upsetting ploughing my hard earned into things that should deliver but don't.

3DBrad
05-25-08, 08:22 AM
If Sony just had Naughty-Dog do most of the PS3 titles, then it'd be a much better console. (nana2)

Uncharted was great!

HiCZoK4
05-25-08, 09:01 AM
most of these look same rly.
Only difference is that ps3 sometimes is blurrier, but in good way :D

Sazar
05-25-08, 12:15 PM
Wow, those are GLARING differences :eek:

I guess I am going to continue playing games on my Xb360 and use my ps3 for folding and blu-ray and some exclusives.

The texture quality is pants on the PS3 for whatever reason and the Xbox shots look a lot like regular PC, in-game shots.

Big fail for blurriness :(

NarcissistZero
05-25-08, 02:41 PM
Yeah, PS3 looks blurrier because devs have been using blur instead of true AA on PS3... also a lot of times PS3 games have slightly lower native resolutions.

What this comparison also doesn't show is what is most often bad about these games, not on a graphics level, but in gameplay. I played both versions of Assassin's Creed and the real problem with the PS3 version was a much, MUCH lower framerate. Kind of ruined the game, honestly.

In the end though the PS3 is amazing and has some of the best looking games around, like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank... I would put those games up against Gears of War anytime. The simple fact is most multiplatform developers make the game around the 360, then show it onto the PS3.

Peoples-Agent
05-25-08, 03:41 PM
Yeah, PS3 looks blurrier because devs have been using blur instead of true AA on PS3... also a lot of times PS3 games have slightly lower native resolutions.

What this comparison also doesn't show is what is most often bad about these games, not on a graphics level, but in gameplay. I played both versions of Assassin's Creed and the real problem with the PS3 version was a much, MUCH lower framerate. Kind of ruined the game, honestly.

In the end though the PS3 is amazing and has some of the best looking games around, like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank... I would put those games up against Gears of War anytime. The simple fact is most multiplatform developers make the game around the 360, then show it onto the PS3.

Wasn't it mentioned not too long ago that the PS3 would become the leading platform instead?

I'm just hoping Bad Company gets equal attention and not a port.

Marvel_us
05-25-08, 03:52 PM
Wasn't it mentioned not too long ago that the PS3 would become the leading platform instead?

I'm just hoping Bad Company gets equal attention and not a port.

Some developers started doing it but most still use the 360. Supposedly this year's Madden has PS3 as the lead platform but I'm not sure if all EA games are doing the same.

3DBrad
05-25-08, 04:12 PM
Until developers find an "add memory" and "make programming on the Cell easy" button, 90% of the time, the 360 will be better.

Ninja Prime
05-25-08, 09:56 PM
Wow, those are GLARING differences :eek:

I guess I am going to continue playing games on my Xb360 and use my ps3 for folding and blu-ray and some exclusives.

The texture quality is pants on the PS3 for whatever reason and the Xbox shots look a lot like regular PC, in-game shots.

Big fail for blurriness :(

Yeah, but the textures look fairly similar, I think its some sort of effect, probably displacement mapping on xbox and not on ps3, or maybe something to do with lighting. (HDR vs non-HDR?)

3DBrad
05-25-08, 09:58 PM
No, I don't think the 360 version would use parallax mapping and the PS3 wouldn't, as hardly any games even use that feature.

Just higher-res textures and perhaps better texture filtering.

Lyme
05-26-08, 01:10 AM
The CoD4 shots are interesting, if only from the point of view that one of the PS3 devs said it was the one they put the best programmers on, and looked best.

However across the board the games on both consoles are nearly identical, which is really nice because the PS3 is harder to develop for, and will always be that way.

Imbroglio
05-26-08, 07:29 AM
it seems like the blurriness of the ps3 hides the jaggies better. i know on gta4 for instance, the jaggies are insane, i could see the blur hiding that better (not that I want that), guess I'll still have to wait for it to come out for PC :(

npras42
05-26-08, 12:28 PM
Until developers find an "add memory" and "make programming on the Cell easy" button, 90% of the time, the 360 will be better.

Well I don't think the 'add memory' is possible, but programming on the Cell will become easier as they become better and better acquainted with the architechture, so I think it is entirely possible that in time the situation will be reversed. Its sad to see PS3 being clean-sweeped at present though, even if it is only by a small margin.