PDA

View Full Version : help!!! how to remap some keys..

Nv40
05-25-08, 03:42 PM
im unable to remap some keys in AOC ,the game says they are reserved? for x or y thing.. but could find a way to force and remap them in another way.. any help?

fixed... :)
ok

CaptnStubing
05-26-08, 03:56 PM
im unable to remap some keys in AOC ,the game says they are reserved? for x or y thing.. but could find a way to force and remap them in another way.. any help?

fixed... :)
ok
Even if you fixed it, get this addon. It makes the game FUN!
http://aoc.curse.com/downloads/details/12705/

http://media.curse.com/adjust_images/resize/750x500/129/430.jpg

Buckeye
05-26-08, 04:55 PM
I was really trying to not use any addons/mods for this game as I totally hated that in WoW when a new patch would come out and kill an addon.

Is there any other way to get some additional tool bars that can be moved around ?

Nv40
05-27-08, 11:21 AM
it sucks that you cannot use your mouse for anything
other than camera views... i wish they allowed 5 mouse buttons ,so you could add
the basic slash moves and more there..

nrdstrm
05-27-08, 12:51 PM
Even if you fixed it, get this addon. It makes the game FUN!
http://aoc.curse.com/downloads/details/12705/

Wow...That's pretty cool...I'm going to check that out! Thanks! I havn't used add ons for MMO's for a while. I remember on some games, you would have to reinstall the add ons after patches. Is that the case here?

CaptnStubing
05-27-08, 06:35 PM
Wow...That's pretty cool...I'm going to check that out! Thanks! I havn't used add ons for MMO's for a while. I remember on some games, you would have to reinstall the add ons after patches. Is that the case here?
It might be here but this addon is very easy to set up. Just drag and drop. It is nothing like Cosmos or CT Raid in WoW where you have to set up all the bars into the exact place you had them before Blizzard broke the mod.

This mod is perfect. It gives you plenty of hotbar commands and plenty of space to put other important stuff and spells. I think it comes in a smaller size. I would like the buttons just a bit smaller.

Buckeye
05-27-08, 07:10 PM
Ok I downloaded ver 1.2

did this ...

1. Exit the game.

2. Find the folder named "Customized" found under ..\Age of Conan\cd_image\Gui\Customized\ once there delete only the contents found inside of the [b]Customized/b folder. Do NOT delete any other folders otherwise you may have to deal with a 911MB download! This is done in order to prevent potential conflicts with other user modified content and compiled xml files (*.bxml)

3. Extract all the files from the Mirage UI Zip file to your root folder for the game, for example "C:\Program Files\Funcom\Age of Conan\", make sure to use the folder names options with winzip to create the necessary folder paths when you extract the files. Again, extract all the files in the zip file to your main Age of Conan game folder and do not worry about getting prompted to overwrite files in the DEFAULT directory these are custom Mirage UI graphic files and they do not overwrite any base game files (hence they're named mui_*.tga)

Everthing went fine. But I have no change to the UI :o

hmmm... I did something wrong me thinks :)

CaptnStubing
05-27-08, 10:55 PM
You didn't do anything wrong. The new patch today brok the mods.

Buckeye
05-27-08, 10:58 PM
LOL figures.

That's the one thing I hate about these things.

CaptnStubing
05-28-08, 09:50 AM
LOL figures.

That's the one thing I hate about these things.
Here is how I set up my UI. I hilighted the bottom row to show that Ihave 5 bars on the top two bars. This works great for me as a barbarian.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/johnnyapple/bars.jpg

Ninjaman09
05-28-08, 09:56 AM
Capt what are those bindings for your attack keys? I recently rerolled Conqueror and I'm really struggling with the controls, looking for a better setup.

CaptnStubing
05-28-08, 10:21 AM
Capt what are those bindings for your attack keys? I recently rerolled Conqueror and I'm really struggling with the controls, looking for a better setup.
Yes. I like to have the spells all clustered in the middle. The direction keys are remapped to the side. I do this because I use a Belkin Nostromo n52. I used the Dpad for the directional swing. It works great.

This is the new Nostromo. Very sexy but no big change in the layout.
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8609/8609696_ra.jpg
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8609696&st=nostromo&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1192233008066

This is the older one I use.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JRDZSJTPL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8GFPC100-Nostromo-Speedpad-n52/dp/B0000DC643

I used the nostromo because it is so much easier on your wrist for gaming and you have all the buttons and hot buttons you need for MMOs.

Tr1cK
05-28-08, 11:04 AM
I bought an N52 years ago and it just totally sucks IMO. I've never even been able to give it away. Maybe if you have some tiny little hand that actually can use the wrist rest, then it could be good, but I have to cramp myself to use it and it doesn't provide any more buttons than the left half of the keyboard does. I tried it recently for AOC, but it still sucks. The D-pad was my idea for swings too, but it's just not coordinated enough when you add shields in and having to do combos. Plus, how your thumb rests on it about 90 degrees off from normal is just weird.

The smart way to game on an MMO is with the keyboard and a quality mouse that has some thumb buttons that you can bind to CTRL, ALT, or Shift. I have my 2 bound to CTRL and ALT thru the Razer software. This way you can bind CTRL-1 or ALT-2 or whatever to a whole other action bar. Binding one function to mouse buttons is pretty dumb IMO, when you can open up a ton more options using a modifier key.

Make your setup so that similar skills are used between the same key, but different through the CTRL or ALT modifiers. For example, I have Q-E-R setup as my upper attacks, CTRL-Q-E-R is reserved for the lower attacks, and ALT-Q-E-R are for my shields. 1 & 2 are left combos, 3 & 4 are center combos, 5 & 6 are right combos.

As for the reserved key errors, you get them because you haven't cleared the old binding. Just make sure to click 'Apply' after every one you change and you shouldn't get the errors.

There is also a fix for that mod. It takes about 5 minutes to do it.
http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/MirageUI

Here's how my UI looks with MirageUI and binding the keys as I said. A+ is Alt plus key, C+ is Ctrl plus key.
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9392/picture001xw3.th.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture001xw3.jpg)

CaptnStubing
05-28-08, 11:25 AM
I bought an N52 years ago and it just totally sucks IMO. I've never even been able to give it away. Maybe if you have some tiny little hand that actually can use the wrist rest, then it could be good, but I have to cramp myself to use it and it doesn't provide any more buttons than the left half of the keyboard does. I tried it recently for AOC, but it still sucks. The D-pad was my idea for swings too, but it's just not coordinated enough when you add shields in and having to do combos. Plus, how your thumb rests on it about 90 degrees off from normal is just weird.
Gaming devices is completely objectionable. Everyone will find something they like or do not like.

You do not have to have small hand. Mine are normal size and the device gives you two positions.

I don't need a lot of buttons. I don't like running all over my keyboard finding buttons.

For me any most people I know that have used a nostromo they like it. The D pad in in the perfect position. I understand it feels awkward for you. That is cool. I have the same problem with the keyboard. It just feels off to me. It's just one of those things we can't explain to each other.

Having said that the Nostromo is a good quality product. In this case it isn't the product you like.

The smart way to game on an MMO is with the keyboard and a quality mouse that has some thumb buttons that you can bind to CTRL, ALT, or Shift. I have my 2 bound to CTRL and ALT thru the Razer software. This way you can bing CTRL-1 or ALT-2 or whatever to a whole nother action bar. Binding one function to mouse buttons is pretty dumb IMO, when you can open up a ton more options using a modifier key.
As opposed to my stupid way of gaming on a MMO? :D I'm just messing with ya.

Now this is what I don't get. I completely dislike Razor's mice. I find then junky and odd shaped. I love my G5. But as I said, to each their own.

There is also a fix for that mod. It takes about 5 minutes to do it.
http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/MirageUI
Good that they fixed it quickly. I will be sticking to the UI I have now. I get tired of constantly installing new addons.

Oh and does anyone know how to get rid of the movies in the beginning? I hate that crap. Sure it is only 6 esc buttons to get rid of it but damn I want it all gone. Even if you rename the movies in the folder the game just sees your files as missing and will download them again... EVERY TIME! I hate all of those intro movies. I don't care if this is "THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED"! I just want to play it.

Ninjaman09
05-28-08, 11:47 AM
Hmm I might try a Nostromo one of these days, I've heard a lot of conflicting views on it. :)

Tr1cK
05-28-08, 11:54 AM
Ninja, I'd give you mine if you were local.

Capt, I know gaming devices are objectionable, but to me, there are too many gimmicks like the N52 or Zboard, etc. It all comes down to basically being a keyboard or a mini-keyboard. I've been keyboard gaming for over 20 years, so I guess I'm stuck there. :p

As far as my mouse goes, I hate Razers mouse shape too. I got the Habu which is much better shaped for me (not flat) and requires no extra effort to hit the side buttons since I have them sitting directly under my thumb. The mouse comes with 2 different sets of interchangeable buttons for the sides so that you can customize it more.

CaptnStubing
05-28-08, 12:11 PM
Hmm I might try a Nostromo one of these days, I've heard a lot of conflicting views on it. :)
So have I. We gamers are really picky when it comes to our input devices.

If you get one, get a used one. The device is really sturdy and a used one would be a good route to go.

Try Craigslist. Most people just want to get rid of their stuff. I'm sure you could pick this up for $20 cash. If you don't like it, throw it back on Craigslist. :D

CaptnStubing
05-28-08, 12:14 PM
Ninja, I'd give you mine if you were local.
Just have him pay for shipping. ;)

Capt, I know gaming devices are objectionable, but to me, there are too many gimmicks like the N52 or Zboard, etc. It all comes down to basically being a keyboard or a mini-keyboard. I've been keyboard gaming for over 20 years, so I guess I'm stuck there. :p
Oh the Zboard IS a piece of crap. It is cheaply made. The buttons wear out with in no time.

It doesn't bother me that you don't like the Nostromo. We all have to find the most comfortable way to game. That is what it comes down to.

Yeah, I've been gaming on computers since before the Comodor 64. I remember having to use a joystick for Track n Field on the 64. You had to move the stick side to side to run. We broke many joysticks playing that game. :D I just never really like using the keyboard for gaming. I like my left and right hands closer together. The Nostromo allows me to put them on my desktop shoulder width apart and my G15 is on the slide out table under the desktop. Works great for me.

As far as my mouse goes, I hate Razers mouse shape too. I got the Habu which is much better shaped for me (not flat) and requires no extra effort to hit the side buttons since I have them sitting directly under my thumb. The mouse comes with 2 different sets of interchangeable buttons for the sides so that you can customize it more.
So you like the Habu? I haven't tried it out yet. As I said I have a G5 and I see no reason to get a new mouse until this one dies. It is made so well that it will be a long time before I need one. I just like the generic dome shape of the G5.

Tr1cK
05-28-08, 12:33 PM
Just have him pay for shipping. ;)

Oh the Zboard IS a piece of crap. It is cheaply made. The buttons wear out with in no time.

It doesn't bother me that you don't like the Nostromo. We all have to find the most comfortable way to game. That is what it comes down to.

Yeah, I've been gaming on computers since before the Comodor 64. I remember having to use a joystick for Track n Field on the 64. You had to move the stick side to side to run. We broke many joysticks playing that game. :D I just never really like using the keyboard for gaming. I like my left and right hands closer together. The Nostromo allows me to put them on my desktop shoulder width apart and my G15 is on the slide out table under the desktop. Works great for me.

So you like the Habu? I haven't tried it out yet. As I said I have a G5 and I see no reason to get a new mouse until this one dies. It is made so well that it will be a long time before I need one. I just like the generic dome shape of the G5.

+1 on the since C64 days! I had the big old brown one lol.

I LOVE the Habu! For years I used a Logitech Dual Optical (wife still uses it) because I just couldn't find a suitable replacement. I don't care for the 'ergo' styling of the new Logitech mice and Razer was always too flat. All the other mice I would find that I liked the shape of either wouldn't have enough extra buttons or have that tilt-wheel that screws up gaming.

nrdstrm
05-28-08, 01:56 PM
+2 on C64 (well, actually I had a Vic-20 first!)...

I prefer my mmo's with a keyboard (tried Nostromo, just cant get used to it). I use a Razer Tarantula, and for my mouse I use a Copperhead...I don't mind the shape and have grown used to it...