PDA

View Full Version : 9800GX2 and SLI -UT3 FPS-

David power
05-27-08, 05:22 AM
Hello folks,

I was just wondering if i can check if SLI is working on my GX2,

When playing UT3 I see no difference in FPS when i use the recommended SLI config and single gpu config. I have the FPS limiter turned off too.

I also only see 75 - 45 FPS in Supreme commander which seems low to me.

How can I test this or fix it?

Bman212121
05-27-08, 10:08 AM
Both of those games are heavily CPU limited. What processor are you pairing it with?

Dazz
05-27-08, 11:30 AM
Agreed, they are quite CPU hungy and as such you won't see much higher then what you are currently getting with your present CPU.

David power
05-27-08, 01:59 PM
I Have a QX9650 at 3.5 GHz

Bman212121
05-27-08, 03:12 PM
Can't get too much faster than that. :)

I just reread what you wrote and I think I know what might be going on. The way the newer drivers seem to use SLI is they set the global to single GPU, and then under the specific game they change it to whatever render method they need. You can try forcing different modes for UT3 or SC under the profiler and see if it makes a difference to your FPS. Either way it is still very possible that half of the card is enough to hit the frame limiter in these games. A good test is to turn up the AA and see if your frame dip. If they do not then you are probably still CPU limited.

David power
05-28-08, 02:30 AM
Can't get too much faster than that. :)

I just reread what you wrote and I think I know what might be going on. The way the newer drivers seem to use SLI is they set the global to single GPU, and then under the specific game they change it to whatever render method they need. You can try forcing different modes for UT3 or SC under the profiler and see if it makes a difference to your FPS. Either way it is still very possible that half of the card is enough to hit the frame limiter in these games. A good test is to turn up the AA and see if your frame dip. If they do not then you are probably still CPU limited.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Now playing at 180 FPS solid.