PDA

View Full Version : farcry2 coming to consoles!

Lyme
05-28-08, 10:19 PM
http://kotaku.com/5011439/far-cry-2-dev-and-port-teams-range-from-175-to-three

Because the engine was built to work on a PC, bringing the game, with all of its bells and whistles, over to the Xbox 360 was a relatively easy affair, the developers told me. Afterall, they said, the Xbox 360 is essentially a computer. In fact they only have three people working on the team that is porting the game over.

The Playstation 3? Not quite as simple an affair. They have a team of 14 working on that port, mostly because of the "difficulties" of working with the Playstation 3's unique architecture.

JigenD
05-28-08, 10:22 PM
The thread title is extremely old news.

LORD-eX-Bu
05-28-08, 10:25 PM
::rofl:

JigenD
05-28-08, 10:32 PM
Actually, I can't resist :

"the Xbox 360 is essentially a computer."

I really hope none of the developers said that. Essentially a computer? Someone should tell these guys to look up what the word means.

3 People handling the 360 port? I actually refuse to believe that. Porting a x86 game to run on a PowerPC chip within a few months, and judging by videos, it actually runs?

I think it took more than 3 people to port PAC MAN to Xbox 360...

[edit : maybe Tim Sweeney, John Carmack, and someone else (got any suggestions?)]

tornadog
05-29-08, 10:49 AM
The port will most likely be STBB(straight to bargain bin)

JigenD
05-29-08, 11:21 AM
The port will most likely be STBB(straight to bargain bin)

I really doubt it, based on the video of the 360 version. Obviously it wasn't a high quality video, but I couldn't see any differences at all in the video, and it ran really well. I almost wonder if they were running a modified PC version on a PC (the PC version doesn't have the console buttons for using items and such, even if you use a gamepad).

|MaguS|
05-29-08, 11:22 AM
Wow Lyme.... this is unlike you... this is extremely old news.

Dreamingawake
05-29-08, 12:19 PM
yeah like totally man come on get with the program this news is so like a few months ago !

;)

brady
05-29-08, 01:19 PM
Don't get too excited. I'll look for the link but I just read a dev interview where they said that developing on the PS3 and 360 was helping them tune the game for mid settings on the PC.

JigenD
05-29-08, 05:59 PM
Don't get too excited. I'll look for the link but I just read a dev interview where they said that developing on the PS3 and 360 was helping them tune the game for mid settings on the PC.

I think that was on Kotaku too, in another link, anyways I saw it. They actually said a mid-spec PC not a mid-range PC, and they said in that same article that the game would run on single core CPUs as well.

brady
05-29-08, 06:45 PM
I think that was on Kotaku too, in another link, anyways I saw it. They actually said a mid-spec PC not a mid-range PC, and they said in that same article that the game would run on single core CPUs as well.

Here it is. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189802&skip=yes)

How are the PS3/360 versions shaping up and did they impose any limitations on developing the PC version?

Pharand: The console versions look and play great. They're stunning!

After the Games Conventions in Leipzig last year, the engineering team had as a mandate to port our engine (DUNIA) to console. So it could be used by other Ubisoft titles.

The team wanted to push its limits and decided to use Far Cry 2 data. The game looked great and we decided at that point to do some R&D to see the feasibility of having the same game on consoles.

They did it! So why not have more gamers enjoy the experience? That being said we started as a PC game and we are still a dedicated PC team. Since we want to have as many PC gamers enjoy the experience, the console developments actually helped the mid-requirement settings on PC.

That's the long answer, the short one: we did not impose limitations on the PC version.

Lyme
05-31-08, 12:11 AM
Wow Lyme.... this is unlike you... this is extremely old news.

It was either that or posting about lego indiana jones coming out in a few days.