PDA

View Full Version : Question about EVGA normal and SSC versions

BobboBananna
05-29-08, 12:59 AM
Hello! I'm new to EVGA cards, so here's my question:
Is there any hardware difference between the 'normal' and SSC versions of e-GeForce 9800 GX2 ? I am considering buying an e-GeForce 9800 GX2, so I'm wondering, if I buy the 'normal' edition, could I just find the SSC BIOS on the internet and flash the 'normal' BIOS with the SSC BIOS? And if I could, what program can I use, and where could I find a SSC BIOS?

Uberpwnage
05-29-08, 04:12 AM
I've had good luck with my SSC, they're supposedly binned higher but it's possible you could get a poor chip either way. If you want the bios, it can probably be found at mvktech (http://www.mvktech.net).

BobboBananna
05-29-08, 12:33 PM
What does it mean that SSC is binned higher?

nrdstrm
05-29-08, 12:51 PM
All of the cards EVGA gets are tested (by hand) and benchmarked. The ones capable of being OC'd higher, get the SSC rating and are given a higher clocked bios...The lower ones end up as Superclocked, regular, etc..

Medion
05-29-08, 01:10 PM
if I buy the 'normal' edition, could I just find the SSC BIOS on the internet and flash the 'normal' BIOS with the SSC BIOS? And if I could, what program can I use, and where could I find a SSC BIOS?

They use the same bios, except the clock speeds are altered. Normal overclocking can do this for you.

What does it mean that SSC is binned higher?

When a wafer comes out of the fabrication facility, usually the chips closest to the center are closer to being perfect, and thus, can reach higher clock speeds. If NV wants to sell all of the chips as the same product, they have to use the slowest stable clock speed. When EVGA receives these chips, the take the ones from the center, overclock them, and sell them as a higher end product.

Basically, the difference between a normal and an SSC/KO line card iss that the normal card may or may not overclock well. The SSC/KO lines have a guaranteed minimum overclock due to binning.

XDanger
05-29-08, 03:06 PM
I thought EVGA and the like just stickered the cooler, not built from the chips upwards???

They receive fully made graphics cards and do their own QC and class allocation from there no?

Medion
05-29-08, 03:21 PM
I thought EVGA and the like just stickered the cooler, not built from the chips upwards???

They receive fully made graphics cards and do their own QC and class allocation from there no?

Most of the time this is true. However, they can still test them to see their OC range, and then slot them int different product lines, such as SSC/KO, based on their clock.

Also, not all manufacturers stick to the reference design. XFX tried a unique approach with the 7800GT awhile back, and there was a huge backlash on that one. So bad I won't even buy XFX anymore. Palit has a non-reference 9600GT today that is simply amazing.

Uberpwnage
05-29-08, 07:04 PM

Mine's not even stickered :o, happy with the oc though.