PDA

View Full Version : Please help - Seagate SCSI drive

Riptide
05-08-03, 12:05 AM
I just attached a new ST173404LCV. This drive replaced an IBM Ultrastar 73LZX. The problem is that my controller seems to be detecting the ST173404LCV as an 80meg device, not 160. When the Adaptec 39160 controller initializes it shows the Cheetah X15 as 160 and used to show the IBM as 160. It keeps detecting the ST173404LCV as an 80meg device. Nothing has changed in the system with regard to jumper or BIOS settings on the Adaptec controller. The only things that have changed are the SCSI ID (the IBM was at a different ID than the ST173404LCV which is on ID 8) and the fact that I am using an 80-68 pin adapter on the ST173404LCV since it is an 80 pin device and my controller is 68. What is likely causing this problem? The SCSI bus is properly terminated and the two Seagate drives are on the same channel (you need to keep all 160 devices on the same channel with the adaptec). I'm at a loss.. Thanks

Is there a way to verify that the drive is actually operating @80meg instead of 160? Would the 80-68 pin adapter be causing this? I was told it shouldn't affect performance.

ALobpreis
05-08-03, 12:41 AM
I guess when you said megs you meant gigs, right? :p

BTW, sorry to say this, but it seems the ST173404LCV is a 73.4 Gb disk!!! Check here (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st173404lcv.html).

The Baron
05-08-03, 12:51 AM
AL, he's talking about the SCSI transfer rate.

And personally, I would think it's the adapter. But then again, I haven't used SCSI since SCSI-2, so I don't really know.

Riptide
05-08-03, 02:46 AM
Thanks for trying anyway. I did find out from a poster over on 3dgpu that it seems unlikely to be the bridge. He's using a 80-68 pin adapter without any issues. His fujitsu gets detected at 160.

I doubt it's my host adapter or cable. My previous IBM 73LZX was detected @160 just fine in the same config. It makes no sense.

Obviously, I'm missing something here. I just have no idea what.
:(

Riptide
05-08-03, 09:53 AM
Damnit damnit damnit! :fu:

According to Seagate, the firmware on this drive was specific to the OEM it was issued for. It is the cause of the problem and they won't be able to issue me a fix for this. There is no workaround, the drive will be returned.

I was up until 2AM trying to fix this. What a waste of my frickin time. Thanks a lot upgrade-solution, for selling me a crippled drive. :mad:

At least Seagate tech support is knowledgeable, prompt, and friendly. Another good reason to stick with them, besides the good products.

ALobpreis
05-08-03, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
AL, he's talking about the SCSI transfer rate.

Oops! How dumb I feel now..... :(
I had no idea.... I neved played with SCSI drives... I guess you already realized, don't you? :(

poursoul
05-09-03, 11:51 AM
Last time i replaced the bios on my 2960 wasn't that long ago. Maybe you should check for a new bios on the adaptec site.

Here (http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2fProduct%2fASC-39160&prodkey=ASC-39160) is a link directly to the downloads for your card. The last BIOS is listed 5/30/01 which i know is a long shot, but it's worth a try.

Riptide
05-09-03, 12:48 PM
Thanks. I thought about downloading and installing the 3.10 BIOS for my host controller. However, a couple things stopped me from doing this.

1) My controller is a Dell OEM and there is a possibility it would trash the controller when I flashed it. They (Adaptec) recommend NOT applying those BIOS flashes to OEM cards.
2) Flashing the controller is kind of a pain in the a** when you just setup your new Lian Li case and left the floppy out of the picture.
3) The controller had no problem detecting my IBM Ultrastar @ 160 speeds so I figured that at least in theory should not be the source of the problem.
4) The seagate tech I spoke with was very definite in his response regarding the drive firmware - it is the cause of my problem and there is no workaround.

Thanks for the idea though, help is *always* appreciated.

marcocom
05-12-03, 06:10 AM
ive flashed my Dell OEM 39160 with the latest BIOS and it works flawlessly.

the warning on Adaptec's website is a scare-tactic.