PDA

View Full Version : So many drivers!

breathemetal
05-31-08, 01:02 PM
Whats the most stable driver out right now?

Link it to me if you could please :)

KingRoLo
05-31-08, 01:07 PM
Who makes these drivers anyway? are they made by nvidia then leaked to a special source or are they simply tweaked drivers by joe public?

Medion
05-31-08, 01:27 PM
I wish I could use the 169s, but I'm using a 9 series. My options are 174 and 175.

andy_nv
05-31-08, 02:23 PM
I'm happy with 175.80, both in performance and stability. Anyway, since 174.93 everything went smooth for me, thank you nVidia. :) Before that few 17x.x versions worked right.

Who makes these drivers anyway? are they made by nvidia then leaked to a special source or are they simply tweaked drivers by joe public?
Last I knew there were three driver teams: quadro, desktop and mobile. Drivers can leak from each of these teams, hence leaked betas - either from beta testers (sorry if I'm offending anyone) or customers (?). Then we have the "official betas" released by nVidia and last WHQL certified drivers. If you will, we can throw in the leaked alpha drivers, used in some presentations or reviews, these are extremely rare cases (around the launch date of a new product).

I don't think there are any third parties writing drivers for nVidia. Omega/DNA/NGO are just repacked/tweaked drivers(OGL from one set, D3D from another plus other optimizations), based on already released/leaked drivers from nVidia, with some extra features (overclocking options, more resolutions, etc).
Don't know exactly what's the deal with Xfastest, my understanding is that they are just modded to support more cards than the original inf intended. You can also find modded inf's on laptopvideo2go to use with "official" drivers.

I hope this sheds some light on the chaos of nVidia driver releases, feel free to correct what I said above. :)

stevemedes
05-31-08, 02:46 PM
i just use whatevers whql at the time. unless theres a specific issue that only is fixed by a beta driver. right now the 175.16 whqls are good for me, havent experience too many problems, except for occassional dvd playback issues.

KingRoLo
05-31-08, 07:24 PM
I'm happy with 175.80, both in performance and stability. Anyway, since 174.93 everything went smooth for me, thank you nVidia. :) Before that few 17x.x versions worked right.

Last I knew there were three driver teams: quadro, desktop and mobile. Drivers can leak from each of these teams, hence leaked betas - either from beta testers (sorry if I'm offending anyone) or customers (?). Then we have the "official betas" released by nVidia and last WHQL certified drivers. If you will, we can throw in the leaked alpha drivers, used in some presentations or reviews, these are extremely rare cases (around the launch date of a new product).

I don't think there are any third parties writing drivers for nVidia. Omega/DNA/NGO are just repacked/tweaked drivers(OGL from one set, D3D from another plus other optimizations), based on already released/leaked drivers from nVidia, with some extra features (overclocking options, more resolutions, etc).
Don't know exactly what's the deal with Xfastest, my understanding is that they are just modded to support more cards than the original inf intended. You can also find modded inf's on laptopvideo2go to use with "official" drivers.

I hope this sheds some light on the chaos of nVidia driver releases, feel free to correct what I said above. :)

Thanks!

Thats definetely clarified it, ive been out of the nvidia scene for quite a while now until my recent 8800GTS 512 purchase and now it's all flooding back to me thanks to your refresher :) Now remember the old omega drivers as well.

Though what im finding different is that when a new BETA was released more people tended to show benchmarks between the different versions, nowadays it seems people aren't bothering so much.

andy_nv
05-31-08, 07:48 PM
I have to rethink my recommendation of 175.80 and say whichever driver works for you. Try the latest leaked or stick with nvidia WHQL, depending on how they behave.

I only have three DX10 games installed: Crysis, Assasin's Creed and Lost Planet. Out of them Lost Planet shows the same symptoms as displayed in this video (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1659753&postcount=12) provided by nekro.

ragingWS6
06-02-08, 08:44 PM
Using the 175.63s. Anything over that and SLI is broken for me.

mailman2
06-03-08, 01:27 PM
175.80 are great -

Medion
06-03-08, 01:46 PM
Asa general rule of thumb ,if you're unsure of drivers, just try the latest official release from the NV website. After that, only seek out non-official release drivers if you're having issues that one of these drivers supposedly resolves.

XDanger
06-03-08, 02:02 PM
Asa general rule of thumb ,if you're unsure of drivers, just try the latest official release from the NV website. After that, only seek out non-official release drivers if you're having issues that one of these drivers supposedly resolves.

Whose thumb? Stop listening to The Man and grow a pair ffs. ;)

jcossin
06-03-08, 02:44 PM
Using 175.80 currently with great success.

Soetdjuret
06-03-08, 06:16 PM
Using the 175.63s. Anything over that and SLI is broken for me.

Is Digital vibrance broken in the 175.63s?

ragingWS6
06-03-08, 07:12 PM
Is Digital vibrance broken in the 175.63s?

Yup

Soetdjuret
06-03-08, 08:12 PM
omfg... witch arn't?

Trizae
06-04-08, 03:12 AM
175.80 for me run smooth like butter on my 8800GTS-512

ragingWS6
06-04-08, 02:50 PM
omfg... witch arn't?

Yeah...the drivers have been like that off and on for me since the 162.50s. That was the last driver I remember where it worked well, but it was only on the desktop. It would be disabled as soon as a game was run.

Soetdjuret
06-06-08, 01:19 PM
Yeah...the drivers have been like that off and on for me since the 162.50s. That was the last driver I remember where it worked well, but it was only on the desktop. It would be disabled as soon as a game was run.

So witch is the latest forceware drivers that doesn't disables DV when u start a game?