PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect Digital Dowload questions

ChaoticNick
05-31-08, 03:59 PM
I've never done a digital purchase of a game before, except with Steam, so what's better: Direct2Drive or EA Store? Are there other options? Also, do they give you the cd-key right away before downloading the 7gb+ file? And last, whats the extended download service on the EA store that costs $6?

JigenD
05-31-08, 04:09 PM
EA Store is HORRIBLE. I bought one of the Battlefield 2 expansions off of it quite a while ago. It was cripplingly slow, required you to install tons of crap on the PC as well. I think I was getting 5KB/sec and then gave up (when redownloading).

A while ago I caught wind that they require you to pay fees so you can download the software again, otherwise you'll lose the things you already purchased! (the extended download service you mentioned)

I heard bad things about D2D even longer ago, mostly that if a game maker puts out a patch, it can be a really long time before D2D puts out the same patch (you can't patch yourself), but that may no longer be true. Still, can't be as bad as EA Store!

ChaoticNick
05-31-08, 05:07 PM
Does D2D give the cd-key immediately upon purchase? What if I "obtain" the game files elsewhere, so normal patches work, would the cd-key work?

malachi1313
05-31-08, 06:30 PM
Does D2D give the cd-key immediately upon purchase? What if I "obtain" the game files elsewhere, so normal patches work, would the cd-key work?

When you go to download the file thats when you get the key. dont know if key would work on different download though. Digital downloads are sometimes different than retail games.

JigenD
05-31-08, 06:46 PM
When you go to download the file thats when you get the key. dont know if key would work on different download though. Digital downloads are sometimes different than retail games.

Yea, similar to what I said before, because I remember people complaining that they couldn't patch their D2D version, so you may be right about the keys as well.

simmonmsi
05-31-08, 07:15 PM
I use both the EA store and D2D. Both are very fast for me, I would use the EA store for Mass Effect, I just purchased it today and in less than 2hrs I was playing it.

Eliminator
05-31-08, 07:25 PM
why not buy a retail copy?

ChaoticNick
05-31-08, 07:36 PM
why not buy a retail copy?

I think I will now that I just found out it's $40 at Best Buy tomorrow. :)
I was just curious about digital purchasing besides Steam, seems like too much of a hassle now.

Madpistol
05-31-08, 08:14 PM
I think I will now that I just found out it's $40 at Best Buy tomorrow. :)
I was just curious about digital purchasing besides Steam, seems like too much of a hassle now.

+1 for purchasing the retail copy. No complaints here.