PDA

View Full Version : Gotta buy a mac aralskdsda

Pages : [1] 2

breathemetal
05-31-08, 10:23 PM
Well, the college im going to requires a Mac for the graphic design program.
I guess i have to get one now.

A whole new world for me to explore!

Ive never been a fan of apple, but ive never really gave them a try either.

so, anything i need to know?

K007
06-01-08, 02:48 AM
This is Madness
:headexplode:
rZBA0SKmQy8

bob saget
06-01-08, 02:53 AM
i think this is sparta.

dxx
06-01-08, 04:03 AM
Me, I'd just run a VMWare virtual machine with Leopard on it.

Redeemed
06-01-08, 04:10 AM
Me, I'd just run a VMWare virtual machine with Leopard on it.
QFT.

What software are you required to use that only a mac could run?

XDanger
06-01-08, 08:16 AM
damn those hippie tutors and their weak wristed mac obsession

six_storm
06-01-08, 02:04 PM
Macs freakin rock. Yeah, they don't play games and there are some Windows-only apps out there, but Macs are great computers. Go get an iMac, they are decently priced and are good machines. They also look better and more clean than any other computer out on the market today.

breathemetal
06-01-08, 02:44 PM
i could just get a "normal" notebook and load OSX on it

dxx
06-01-08, 05:01 PM
Macs freakin rock. Yeah, they don't play games and there are some Windows-only apps out there, but Macs are great computers. Go get an iMac, they are decently priced and are good machines. They also look better and more clean than any other computer out on the market today.

So, you're saying, Macs are good, you can't do much on them, macs are good, get a mac, macs are good, macs are good because they look really nice.

Behold, the thought process of an Appelite exposed!

six_storm
06-02-08, 06:15 AM
So, you're saying, Macs are good, you can't do much on them, macs are good, get a mac, macs are good, macs are good because they look really nice.

Behold, the thought process of an Appelite exposed!

Well, if you can read correctly, then that's not what I'm saying at all. Besides gaming and a few popular apps that are Windows-only, Macs can do anything a PC can do. OS X is a really nice OS and I like the simplicity of it.

But hey, the OP has to get a Mac for school. Yes, he can load OS X on a PC but from what I've seen, it's still got a few unstable functions and features. Just get an iMac and you'll be fine, they aren't too expensive IMO.

breathemetal
06-02-08, 07:17 AM
i cant get an imac
i have to get a notebook
so macbook, or macbook pro

six_storm
06-02-08, 09:54 AM
i cant get an imac
i have to get a notebook
so macbook, or macbook pro

I wouldn't get a MacBook. They have integrated graphics crap. :( Look on Craigslist for a good deal on a MacBook Pro. I just saw one here in town for $1200. Not a bad deal for a nice laptop.

If you have any other questions about them, lmk. I haven't dealt with Leopard yet but I know a little bit about Macs. :D

breathemetal
06-02-08, 12:05 PM
Thanks

XDanger
06-04-08, 05:49 PM
Or just find the most osx compatible regular laptop.

breathemetal
06-05-08, 02:35 PM
So could i boot OSX onto a SAGER NP9262?

brady
06-05-08, 02:51 PM
So could i boot OSX onto a SAGER NP9262?

Most likely. My Gateway tablet with integrated Intel graphics runs OSX without a hitch. The only problem is the wireless. Some wireless chipsets are trouble. The OSx86 wiki has a list of compatible ones. I'm sure the SAGER has a minipice slot you could fill with a compatible wireless chipset if the one it comes with doesn't work. OSX is easier to get running on Intel motherboards. I don't know what's in the SAGER. You can still get it to work with nforce chipsets. Check insanelymac for the latest nforce updates and installation guides.

The price advantage of running OSX on a PC laptop is not quite as large as building a desktop comparable to a Mac Pro but you still end up saving some cash even after the cost of OSX. Of course, I don't know that you can draw a simple price comparison with a system like that SAGER one you linked to because it is simply not possible to get an Apple laptop with that kind of performance. That SAGER would probably end up performing close to a single quad core Mac Pro and would absolutely destroy any Macbook Apple offers. I didn't look at the price but I'm sure that laptop is quite expensive, but probably still less than an actual Map Pro in a similar quad core configuration.

Yeah, I guess I'm the local nVnews OSx86 cheerleader. RA RA, suck it Apple! Seriously though, if you do decide to boot OSX on PC hardware please buy a legitimate copy of OSX to support the OS. Retail copies only cost around $120.

breathemetal
06-05-08, 04:05 PM
thanks a lot man

six_storm
06-05-08, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about grabbing a copy of 10.5 one day and throwing it on my new Vostro (whenever it shows up). I've seen some pretty successful installs with Dell Laptops.

breathemetal
06-05-08, 09:27 PM
Im going to contact the college ill be attending and see if it would be fine if i just ran osx on non mac. If they okay it, ill probably go with Sager and dualboot vista and osx.

a12ctic
06-06-08, 07:19 AM
OSX86 is a very cool project. I haven't touched it for a long while, but I'm sure its matured a lot since I last used it.

XDanger
06-07-08, 11:22 AM
taint no sagers listed here
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2/Portables

breathemetal
06-09-08, 11:03 AM
i talked to some ppl at the college and i HAVE to get a mac, no other way around it. oh well.

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 11:14 AM
one of my classes in college also "required" use of mac. stupid teacher basically said that you can do stuff on mac that you can't do on windows.

I tried using a mac in that class for two weeks, after that i started taking my notebook to class. everything worked faster on PC.

It was a photoshop class, PC saved faster, opened files faster, ran filters faster.

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 11:15 AM
i talked to some ppl at the college and i HAVE to get a mac, no other way around it. oh well.

what kind of crazy college is that? forcing people to buy certain hardware. they got some apple contract?

breathemetal
06-09-08, 11:19 AM
well sorta. if i buy through them i can get about 2k off