PDA

View Full Version : Free Return to EQ and EQ2

LurkerLito
06-03-08, 01:36 AM
http://livinglegacy.station.sony.com/

"Inactive EverQuest subscribers and trial accounts can play Secrets of Faydwer at no cost until July 25, 2008" and "Free Rise of Kunark gameplay for inactive EQII subscribers and trial accounts at no cost until July 31, 2008."

I am going to log in to my old EQ account just to look around since I remember they did a graphics upgrade a while after I quit.

OMG I installed 1.4gb with their installer and I have more than 2 hours more to patch in the program itself. Maybe I won't go look around the game after all.

jeffmd
06-03-08, 04:48 AM
Meh... ive actually lost one of my eq accounts.. I cant remember the user name let alone password, and its email is long defunct (last time I used isp based email account). The other..would take some work figuring out.

not that my old guildies are around any more. :(

LurkerLito
06-03-08, 09:36 AM
Yeah I doubt anyone I use to play with is still around in EQ. I just always wanted to take a look around since the graphics were updated. Still I decided to let the machine go last night but woke up and its still downloading the patches. I kind feel like I wasted a lot of time for nothing. Most likely I'll go around for a few minutes then uninstall the game. 7+ hours to patch on a 20mbps connection is kind of messed up.

CaptnStubing
06-03-08, 04:52 PM
Both of these games are complete crap! Even the FAILED Vanguard could never be as much rubbish as EQ1 was. Oh lets die and lose 4 years of grinding the same level 2 squirrel (that you can barely kill) for 7 months. But it gets better. You have to hope you are not ganked repeatedly and hope that no one has killed that level 2 squirrel before you because it only spawns twice a month and never on a leap year.

|MaguS|
06-03-08, 04:56 PM
I loved EQ1, it was the best game because it was so focused on grouping. You talk about the XP loss like it was a bad thing, it was something you feared so you played carefully. In modern MMORPGs you have the developer holding your hand throughout the entire game... I feel like god in WoW because if I die it doesn't affect me...

jeffmd
06-03-08, 05:03 PM
if I die it effects my wallet. Maybe once you get a few purples and do progressive content where you die 15 times a night.. ;)

Compared to today eq is a joke.. but many of us put our blood and sweat in for the 5 years before wow came out. ^^

|MaguS|
06-03-08, 05:12 PM
Compared to today eq is a joke.. but many of us put our blood and sweat in for the 5 years before wow came out. ^^

Yeah I wont go back to it no matter what they offer me since it strayed too far from its roots and has gotten way to big for its own good but I can't compare any game's enjoyment to the amount I had with EQ1.

CaptnStubing
06-03-08, 05:22 PM
I loved EQ1, it was the best game because it was so focused on grouping. You talk about the XP loss like it was a bad thing, it was something you feared so you played carefully. In modern MMORPGs you have the developer holding your hand throughout the entire game... I feel like god in WoW because if I die it doesn't affect me...

XP loss IS a bad thing. Only people who enjoy punishing them selves for playing a game will enjoy a game like EQ. I played it for a week and literally threw the game in the garbage. Everything about it sucked from its arrogant system of "WE WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT" to its crappy graphics. Even for its time the graphics sucked. You are basically in a box with a monster or two. Oh and the TRAIN COMING THROUGH the whole zone was a nice touch. Nice way to train mobs on people you wanted to die so they would go commit suicide because they lost all their gear from 5 years of grinding. LMAO! What a sad game this POS was.

You know a game is bad when I talk this bad about it. I am a very easy going person with regards to games. You can have bad graphics and I won't complain. You can have a bad story and I won't complain. You can have a crummy UI and I won't complain but when you create a game that punishes you while taking your money each month, that tends to piss me off. In fact even the idea that there are people who sat around and thought "how can we make a game as real as possible with insane penalties for dying or even quest you CANNOT COMPLETE" insults every being of my existence.

|MaguS|
06-03-08, 06:09 PM
XP loss is not bad. I still think it was the best death penalty in any game. Sure it was ****ing BS when your in a hell level and ding just to die and drop back into the hell level but it was risk vs reward. The more risk of death you took the better reward. You could easily stay in lower level areas and not worry about death but there was no fun in that.

I experianced the dealth penalty to its worse many times and will still enjoy it in other games.

LurkerLito
06-03-08, 10:22 PM
The game is still ugly, but it was nice to walk around some of the areas again. But still I'd never go back to playing EQ. I am already about to uninstall the game.

The XP-loss on death was a good penalty for this type of game, but the biggest problem with EQ was how slow paced it is. My wizard character plays for 1 minute followed by ~10mins of meditating to refill the mana bar. I remember needing another game to play while meditating when I was playing EQ. That is just a horrible design. If it wasn't like that I might have played the game longer than I did.

Well it was interesting to go back and look around but the trip down memory lane is over ;)

Ghosthunter
06-06-08, 01:54 PM

Same here, nothing can compare to originally EQ1, I dont think any game will ever capture that feeling

JigenD
06-06-08, 02:21 PM
Everquest 1 was the only good MMO ever. Period. (nana2)

Badboy_12345
06-06-08, 03:44 PM
EQ1 is crap if you play it now..

Brain has the power of only remembering the good things and all the fun.
If EQ1 is so good why arent you guys playing it now? if its the best mmorpg ever? its still running go and play it then...

Its because in todays standards its completely crap.

JigenD
06-06-08, 06:49 PM
EQ1 is crap if you play it now..

Brain has the power of only remembering the good things and all the fun.
If EQ1 is so good why arent you guys playing it now? if its the best mmorpg ever? its still running go and play it then...

Its because in todays standards its completely crap.

No, it's because they changed the gameplay radically from what it once was. When Verant was still in control it was great. Kunark change much. Luclin changed a lot, and that's when the downfall happened. Nerfs after nerfs. They took away the purpose for certain class abilities like Druid's teleports (plane of knowledge, I believe). I didn't like the bazaar, WC was way more fun! They also made the game way easier, and caved into dumb fan demands.

So, when it was new, yes it was better than anything today.

BronzeGod
06-07-08, 11:56 PM
EQ2 and WoW are the same damn thing........Except EQ2 kicks the crap out of WoW

jeffmd
06-08-08, 04:30 AM
yea, cuz eq2 is srz buisness

ChrisRay
06-17-08, 02:28 PM
This may actually make me try my dual EQ 1 account again. Lord knows I got enough PCs to 2 box effectively now. Hmmm..!

Sgt_Pitt
06-24-08, 07:25 PM
heya chris long time no see, heh i see your a slizone mod :P nice

ChrisRay
06-29-08, 09:33 PM
Yes I administrate SLIZONE now for Nvidia. Anyways. Thanks.

Chris

Son Goku
07-10-08, 09:25 PM

Depends how one dies. People who die in stupid ways inside instances can be uneffected if they have flame proof suits :d That said, and oh man; that was just ridiculous. Made the mistake of largely PuGing kara again, except for 1 other guildie who was organizing it, and I guess a couple people he knew. I can't believe chain wipes on maiden of all things; and for the same stupid reason.

The 2 palies just would not dispel, and then started having major drama over who dispels. Both insisted the other do it :o Oh, but it didn't end there. One of the pallies who was involved in this drama, then started DCing a lot, and when off for a very long time got removed from raid with another person invited. Only problem, he made it back before the other person could be summoned, and more drama. So the person stood there in the instance, un-partied, demanding that it isn't his fault he's capped, and if he's gonna get removed from group for capping, he'll hold up the instance so no one can do it. After about 20 minutes of him in /s; people finally started to port out, very unhappy and some saying it's time to report him to the game masters for physical harassment (though in raid chat, not where he'd have seen it). His last words

time to get my axis buddies in here, and steal your kara from all of you

All I can say is, that's one guy to never run with again. Besides lost badges for the week (up to maiden only is rather bad), after all that; well I among others just simply didn't have time to wait this all out. It was about 2 hours before invites for black temple would begin. Man, I really do miss the fun times Gilthanas and I had together, though he no doubt believes otherwise.

winton
07-12-08, 01:57 AM
I don't think you realize the difference between WoW and Eq (AC or FF XI etc) what you just said only means you don't get invited again by the X people you grouped with. Same thing happens in all MMO's. No biggie getting another character to 70 in WoW doesn't take long. Anyone can solo to 70 in WoW its not that hard.

Things in FF XI that conned "easy" would kick my ass. I had to level to 25 three or four times! There's absolutely no major setback for dying in WoW (or Lotro for that matter). However with the attention span of today's average gamer I don't think these death penalties will be used again.

Severian126
07-14-08, 08:19 PM
I played EQ1 for about 3 months.

Took my Wizard to lvl 30. I quit because I got tired of sitting there screaming LVL 30 WIZARD LFG!

And when I do get a group, I got tired of blasting things for a minute or so, and sitting there and having to listen to the other party members grumble for 5 minutes or more of downtime.

I also got sick of begging for SOW or Clarity. :p

Corpse run wasn't fun either.

I miss Ultima Online.