PDA

View Full Version : Getting this

Pages : [1] 2

DJMONDY
06-04-08, 09:35 AM
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 580M 640MB XT GDDR3 ,PCI-Express,2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP,580/1800Mhz
4GB CorsairQUAD2X4096-8500C5DF
Intel Q6600 Quadcore CPU G0
GByte P35C-DS3R Mobo
Panaflo 80mm FBA08A12L Quiet
Sstone Black TJ09B Temjin Case
SStone 850W PFC PSU QuadSLi
MS Win Vista Ultimate 64Bit

Its already setup but a friend of mine wants a new pc and is getting rid of this cheap. What you think??

I still to this day havnt played crysis at full level of detail and cod4 (apart from on ps3 but its not the same). will this be up to the task iyo??

Thanks

Dai

CaptNKILL
06-04-08, 10:19 AM
No, that won't play Crysis at full details. Very few systems will right now. If you want full details in Crysis, wait for the GTX 280.

That is a nice system, but a GTS 640 definitely won't play Crysis anywhere near max settings. My GTX doesn't.

DJMONDY
06-04-08, 11:21 AM
So decent enough system specs but will need a gpu upgrade in the near future? no problem :D

Im not turning this down for the price thats for sure!

Im assuming it will play crysis at a decent level though yea?

Thanks for the reply

Dai

Redeemed
06-04-08, 12:59 PM
So decent enough system specs but will need a gpu upgrade in the near future? no problem :D

Im not turning this down for the price thats for sure!

Im assuming it will play crysis at a decent level though yea?

Thanks for the reply

Dai

My previous rig could play Crysis at 1680x1050, 2xAA, 16xAF, GCAA, MSTAA, and all in-game options set to "medium" without a hitch. It also played CoD4 100% maxed in-game settings, at the same resolution. It's specs weren't quite as beefy as the rig you're looking at; A64-FX 60 stock, 4GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N32 SLi DLx, 2x eVGA GF8800GTS 640MB, and Vista Ultimate x64.

With my current rig I can play Crysis at 1680x1050, no AA of any kind nor AF, and all in-game options set to "high"... but it does occassionally get choppy. I've settled on the exact same settings I used with my old rig. Plays perfectly fine now. I'd imagine the setup you're looking to purchase would do just as well if not slightly better.

CaptNKILL
06-04-08, 01:09 PM
I played Crysis at 1280x960, no AA, 8xAF, with most settings set to high (not Very High) in DirectX 9 mode plus a few .ini tweaks for quality and performance and it was mostly above 40fps, with some dips to the 20s. That was on the system in my sig.

A GTS 640 will be noticeably slower, so it depends on how picky you are about framerate. I highly recommend overclocking that CPU to at least 3Ghz and getting a faster card when they're available if you want to make Crysis look great.

DJMONDY
06-05-08, 03:39 AM
Wicked thanks for the replys guys ;) least ill be able to play crysis at some sort of decent level and not have it look or run worse than far cry like it does on my current rig.

Thing is theres a slight problem with the rig im buying hence the price but despite that im still not going to turn it down as with most things its fixable.

All i know at this stage is that it crashes randomly for no reason and it could be any of the components inside causing it beit overheating, faulty cpu, mobo...not really sure.

Hopefully its a simple fix but if not ill be in need of your help if you dont mind.

First thing ive been recommended to do is wipe it clean and install xp and see if it has the same problems. currently on the system is vista 64bit.

If you can recommend me anything to do or try then please post as i dont want to let this go but i do want it to work.

Will post back tomorrow when i pick the rig up and report my findings.

Thanks again ;)

DJMONDY
06-09-08, 03:22 AM
Hey :)

Well its good and bad news for my new rig.

Got it home, checked all components were ok which they were, wiped the hdd clean and put xp on it and it run fine... all good so far.

Split the drive and installed windows vista on it and the crashing/corrupting my mate had were still there...so it dont like vista :(

Any ideas why this would be happening?? it will load up and reset itself 3 or 4 times and when it finally gets to the desktop you can really do much as it keeps hanging. get a BSOD aswell now and again saying check hardware etc

I would like to get vista working on the rig if i can so any help will be good.

Thanks

Dai

grey_1
06-09-08, 04:11 AM
If XP runs fine and Vista is crashing you have a hardware issue. My first thoughts would be ram. I just went through hell with my last mobo because of a bad ram slot, bsods just surfing the net.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T write this off to it being Vista, too many people are using it problem free.

Start by setting everything at default speeds first, then removing a stick of ram, switching slots etc.

DJMONDY
06-09-08, 04:38 AM
Thanks, will give it a go :)

Why would vista not like the hardware but xp runs perfectly fine with it?

grey_1
06-09-08, 06:45 AM
Vista makes much more use of your ram...much more.

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 06:46 AM
Vista useless the hardware more excessively. It will find hardware shortcomings easier.

run memtest for few hours

DJMONDY
06-09-08, 06:52 AM
Vista useless the hardware more excessively. It will find hardware shortcomings easier.

run memtest for few hours

I dont think the pc will stay on for that long under vista :(

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 07:14 AM
memtest doesn't run in vista. it is done in pre-windows enviroment. but it has to be done for few hours, best overnight.

DJMONDY
06-09-08, 07:49 AM
Ah i see...will run it tonight then and see what happens. does it alter the ram for me or does it tell me what i need to do?

Thanks again

Dai

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 07:57 AM
alter? it doesn't change anything, it just runs constant test on ram to find errors.

DJMONDY
06-09-08, 08:06 AM
Thanks will do it tonight and see what the outcome is.

Could it be anything else or do you think the ram would be the main issue?

grey_1
06-09-08, 09:40 AM
Personally I think it's the ram. When you run memtest it will just start showing errors. Anything else I can think of would also show as a problem in XP.

DJMONDY
06-09-08, 11:22 AM
If its the ram causing the problems will i have to replace the sticks?

I have 4gig's worth here...i dont really want to throw it to one side!

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 11:23 AM
well on one of my PCs whine OC was stable in XP, it wasn't stable in Vista. Overclock could also cause it.

DJMONDY
06-10-08, 03:14 AM
Lastnight i did change the ram round to other slots and it caused xp to crash :thumbdwn: so it does seem to be a ram problem.

While they were in different slots i tried re-installing vista but it didnt get through the installation.

Im running memtest while im in work today.

Thing is, what ram do i buy?? if i buy more ram im not guaranteed its going to be stable :(

Nothings overclocked on the rig.

grey_1
06-10-08, 03:56 AM
Have you tried just single sticks, using different slots?

Does your buddy have ram you can borrow to test with? This way you can be sure it's the ram and not the ram slots. If it is the ram, don't sink a bunch of cash into new unless you're sure you are keeping the mobo for a while.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%2050008476%201052315794%201052416064&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Any of those should suit you though. You could buy faster ram, but I don't think the minimal performance gain would be worth it.

DJMONDY
06-10-08, 04:26 AM
Yea i tried using just one stick in two different slots (green and yellow) but it still crashed while trying to install vista. there are 6 slots on this board altogeather but 2 (green slots) the ram i have dont fit into.

Its strange, the two sticks i have in there at the mo are in the red slots, when i changed them to the yellow it caused xp to crash. while in the yellow vista did get further into the installation but crashed right at the final stage :(

I only have 4 stickes which are all identical - 1gb 1066 Corsair QUAD 2X4096-8500C5DF

Im also going to run this to see what it recommends http://www.crucial.com/ they seem pritty reasonable for prices too.

Is there any way to check the slots arnt causing the problem?

grey_1
06-10-08, 04:44 AM
I would check the manufacturers site to make sure the brand and speed you have is compatible..some boards can be very touchy about that.

Can you get into the bios? At default settings ram should go to 800mhz and 1.8 volts I think..see what that shows.

Then try different ram..if that still crashes it's probably the mobo. My first P5E had a bad ram slot. Lucky for me I bought from a local vendor who replaced it right away.

Before you go that far though, do all regular troubleshooting too. Remove any other cards but video, unplug all devices but what you need to boot into windows and try that. I had an IDE burner that wouldn't let my rig boot.

Double check what bios shows for voltages.

Update to the latest bios if you don't have it already.

If it still crashes...maybe time to try another board. Hope it turns out something easy for you, this can be very frustrating.

EDIT: the slots the ram doesn't fit are probably DDR3 - doesn't that board support both?

DJMONDY
06-10-08, 05:08 AM
EDIT: the slots the ram doesn't fit are probably DDR3 - doesn't that board support both?

Yea the board supports both DDR2 and 3. i think the slots my sticks dont fit into are for DDR2. According to sidandra the ram i have is DDR3

Thanks again for all your help mate and everyone else who posted ;)

Just one more thing. if it comes to me having to change the motherboard...what would you recommend?

grey_1
06-10-08, 08:42 AM
Yw ...just hoping I'm helping a little at least.

The only intel chipsets I've owned are the P35 (Asus P5K SE) and the X38 Asus currently in my sig - I would highly recommend both, but others here would have a much wider range of experience with newer equipment..hopefully they'll jump in with some recommendations.