PDA

View Full Version : Expert level 2.5" hard drive transfer question for laptops

Treason
06-04-08, 11:09 PM
This level of difficulty is beyond my expertise.

I have two laptops, one Toshiba 15.4" and an Acer 17". The Toshiba has a 200 GB 4200 RPM hard drive and the Acer has a 320 GB 5400 RPM hard drive. Both of them have the hidden recovery factory partition pertaining to the specific brand and Vista Home Premium license key.

Now, where would I even start if I wanted to swap hard drives? I am selling the 17" and want to give the option of $100 off my asking price if the buyer wants a slower smaller hard drive. The Toshiba hard drive is full of information as this is my working laptop.

I don't have an eSATA interface or USB SATA enclosure on hand, although the Acer 17" provides a slot for an additional hard drive. I also have a 750 GB hard drive on my desktop computer.

Again, how would I do this? I'm thinking Partition Magic would help, but what steps should be taken?

nekrosoft13
06-05-08, 12:07 AM
best software for that would be Trueimage home edition.

1) you need a 3rd hdd that will be able to fit the hdd that you need to copy
1a) if you have 2.5 inch enclosure then you can clone straight from one to another
2) connect that hdd with usb to laptop
3) run truimage software, has to run from pre-windows enviroment (before windows starts)
4) select clone HDD, from internal to USB drive
5) swap the hdd
6) clone from the external drive to the new internal drive

crainger
06-05-08, 12:08 AM
You'll have to Image the drives. Ideally you should use a program like Acronis True Image and save them to a 3rd computer. To do this you will need a SATA to USB convertor. Once you have imaged both send the images across to each other. This will keep the recovery partitions intact.

There may be another way to do this without adapters, but the above is the way I'd do it to reduce risks.

Nekro beat me to it...

Bman212121
06-05-08, 01:16 AM
2.5 sata HDD's should use the exact same connectors as the 3.5" HDDs. Since you already have to pull the drives out of the laptops anyway, you are just as far ahead to connect them inside your desktop pc. The sata to usb might be a little easier though if you can't get into your desktop.

crainger
06-05-08, 01:48 AM
2.5 sata HDD's should use the exact same connectors as the 3.5" HDDs. Since you already have to pull the drives out of the laptops anyway, you are just as far ahead to connect them inside your desktop pc. The sata to usb might be a little easier though if you can't get into your desktop.

OHHHH LOL forgot that part about sata being the same. ::o:

Don't I look the goat. ::afro2::

Treason
06-17-08, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I used the Acronis program and made an image of both hard drives. Luckily my SFF has an eSATA port, so I was able to seamlessly clone one hard drive with another. It took half a day to complete because of the SATA1 interface, but at least I sold my 17" laptop for $600. Not bad considering that was a T5450 with integrated Intel X3100, 3 gb ram, and 200 GB 4200 RPM hard drive.